So its a slow day and I'm having fun...

65Shelby

As some of you know, I am completely new to this and trying to learn as much as I can with both Home Designer Suite and Architect as my wife and I attempt to design a house. 
We are mimicking the Lake-Point Template as we also need height due to our slope.  I can't figure out the nicer, flat, roof lines of that house, it always ends up messed up, but this is what I have been having fun with.
I know the foundations are all messed up and I have a floating sidewalk, but I am learning...

Anyway, feel free to watch, turn up the volume and have a good Friday!
(this was just for fun, don't beat me up on critiquing)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/mf3kthmc8omyeyu/WT5 VH_trial_0.mp4?dl=0
:)
Jerrell

1 hour ago, ChiefJSnell said:

As some of you know, I am completely new to this and trying to learn as much as I can with both Home Designer Suite and Architect as my wife and I attempt to design a house. 
We are mimicking the Lake-Point Template as we also need height due to our slope.  I can't figure out the nicer, flat, roof lines of that house, it always ends up messed up, but this is what I have been having fun with.
I know the foundations are all messed up and I have a floating sidewalk, but I am learning...

Anyway, feel free to watch, turn up the volume and have a good Friday!
(this was just for fun, don't beat me up on critiquing)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/mf3kthmc8omyeyu/WT5 VH_trial_0.mp4?dl=0
Jerrell

Looks like you coming along nicely. 

Best of luck with it!

Charles

• Like 1

1 hour ago, solver said:

You might consider posting on HomeTalk, the forum for Home Designer users.

https://hometalk.chiefarchitect.com/

And threads like this one are best in Chatroom or Off Topic please.

See?  Still learning.  Most of my Qs are Architect related as that is the trial I am looking at purchasing.  This was just a fun post I wanted to share with the guys who have helped me so far.
JSnell

Heck your right in the hood where Chief is headquartered I think...  "Coeur d'Alene, ID", so if you drink the water, it will come natural to you. 

Looks good and the cranking the Van Halen adds some attitude.. love that song.  

Good luck... 

• Like 1

On 2/26/2022 at 8:18 AM, DRAWZILLA said:

as we all know anything can be built, but the engineering could cost.

I agree Drawz... excavation, footings, foundation and walls are gonna hurt.  I also dont want to do 4 stories but I need to gain elevation.  Once I get this 'ballparked' better, I will present to engineers and archs and see if this is even possible.
Jerrell

On 2/25/2022 at 11:44 PM, Rich_Winsor said:

I'll be entering through the garage if it's all the same to you. :o;)

Image2.thumb.PNG.49f79398407da3e943b15b1b08d8ae28.PNG

LOL Rich you and me both.  This is my first draft and think I will be starting a new build this week.  The important things were me finding the corners of the house with the property line not only on a bad slope, but on an 'unsquare' angle...
Jerrell

On 2/25/2022 at 1:50 PM, mtldesigns said:

Heck your right in the hood where Chief is headquartered I think...  "Coeur d'Alene, ID", so if you drink the water, it will come natural to you. 

Looks good and the cranking the Van Halen adds some attitude.. love that song.  

Good luck... 

Thanks Michael.  Yes, they are right here somewhere... one of our former neighbors kids is all grown up and works there now from what I hear.  Unfortunately, CdA and this entire region is skyrocketing with an influx of 'outsiders', lack or Archs, Engs, Construction workers. etc is what pushed me to try some of this on my own.

These stairs are still not done and its taken me 3yrs to solo this nightmare here...  

31885SHwy97-13.jpg

I would lose the garage idea.  It is pushing the structure to far down the hill.  If someone has the budget for it, I sometimes place the garage on the upper floor with the living space under it.  The power lines along HWY 97 will make it tough to use a crane for anything.  The uphill retaining wall will be a feat of engineering, It is supporting a highway.  Most of the builders will not want a job that far around the lake.  A very small cabin sizes structure with no garage may come in at 1 to 1.3 million.  Your first draft would be somewhere in the 2 to 3 million range.  I liked the trailer house idea though.  It is instant and does not need the same setbacks.  FYI - KC building department is now taking around 5 months for plan review.

Thanks Java-

Been here done almost everything you've brought up.
First, I am in almost agreement with you on the garage, I personally don't care about a garage, (summer months I have a ladder rack on my truck).  I can park on dirt, that's fine.
Power lines, if we need to crane anything in, ya just move the lines, ya pay for it, but its cake.  (My father in law is a retired Avista lineman, did it all the time.)
The retaining wall was easier than you think.  We have already built one and KC and ITD passed engineering with no issues.  (See enclosed pix, Wilbert Precast did all the work.  AMAZING company, will use them again in a heartbeat.)  Also there are houses on much steeper grades than what I have, basically cliffs all along the eastside of the lake.
I am currently speaking to two different companies, neither are anywhere close to the $1.3mill you are mentioning
Trailer, we currently have a "Destination\Park Model" Trailer for temp.
Lastly, we are not looking to build anywhere soon.  Not until we get someone to turn this nightmare economy around.  I'm not paying $7.50 a board for 2x4x8.  I know almost everyone at KC Building and unfortunately ITD so there will be many discussions, permit approvals and talks before ground breaking.

20210626_131511.jpg

20210626_131425.jpg

2022-02-28 15_15_44-Window.jpg