The Windows 11, 3000 Series RTX Debacle.

BeachHouse1

Go to solution Solved by Dermot,

1 hour ago, mrdese said:

This "Downvote" arrow, what is that?

This "Downvote" arrow is a completely meaningless, useless and childish way for some one to express their displeasure at your post and you opinion within - anonymously. Those same children will probably come out and give this post a "Downvote" arrow as well. Is it something about the stupid rating system being recognized as childish behavior? Dunno, but I covet them a bit these days so down vote away.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, HumbleChief said:

This "Downvote" arrow is a completely meaningless, useless and childish way for some one to express their displeasure at your post and you opinion within - anonymously. Those same children will probably come out and give this post a "Downvote" arrow as well. Is it something about the stupid rating system being recognized as childish behavior? Dunno, but I covet them a bit these days so down vote away.

Thanxs explaining. Had no clue a serious software as CA ran a user forum a like "Facebook" (in what I am no member) thumbs up or down - what I call a-social.

So, me posting CA terminating when I hit the "Normal" map in a material gets me a "Downvote"? That's puzzling..  

• Downvote 1

14 minutes ago, mrdese said:

Thanxs explaining. Had no clue a serious software as CA ran a user forum a like "Facebook" (in what I am no member) thumbs up or down - what I call a-social.

So, me posting CA terminating when I hit the "Normal" map in a material gets me a "Downvote"? That's puzzling..  

.. and .. that got me a "thumbs down". What are your MO? "MAGA" me out of here? No worry.. 

• Downvote 1

If Chief Architect software designers do not care to listen to my bug reports (treating me like a nobody), anonyms giving "Arrows Down", well.. then I am out of here. Best of luck, no more SSA from me

Over and out  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, mrdese said:

Me I am retiring my A business next fall. Pension, will continue drawing projects that humor me. NO WAY another dime of mine will go to CA SSA, they have to get a grip  

Mr Dese, I consider this a Windows 11 problem. It had just been released and it was my error to install it. I know better and I did it anyways. It is very simple when you reverse engineer it. Working fine with 10 and updated rtx drivers, Fails after installing 11. Too simple and maybe not so common now in windows releases but historically rule of thumb if you predate the "personal computer" and drove the clown cars that arrived us to this Tomorrowland. 

I don't know if it matters what I say as I'm new here but I discovered a problem with CA that is the ONLY thing that is a problem on my computer.  I support over 50 applications for my clients - not a single one of them has a problem with my computer - including games (not for my clients) which certainly use the RTX component of my video card.    I've had my same computer for about 2.5 years and while I did replace my video card a few months ago - no other program has had an issue. 

I've discovered CA seems to touch a memory or an IRQ (haven't had to worry about those in about 30 years) that effectively brings my hard drive controller off line.   It's an adaptec - pretty much one of the industry standards although I doubt that many people have them in the CA computer.     I'm still running Windows 10 (all the latest updates and patches and the latest nvidia drivers).   IMHO after using Win 11 it wasn't quite ready for prime time and offers very few benefits currently although in another 6 months I'll probably install it and test it again.

I did call tech support - wasn't exactly overwhelmed with their response.   They turned on tracking and I kept sending them the response when it happened and they kept on saying well let us know the next time it happens - there comes a point where you give up on tech support.  I do tech support for a living and you get to know when you are pissing into the wind.   In that person's defense - maybe they are the only support person due to covid or that isn't their full time job - maybe development is their main job.   Or they work for someone who has metrics and their goal is to get through as many cases as quickly as possible and customer satisfaction isn't a goal of their boss.

I've tweaked it so my computer no long blue screens when using CA however I have to accept that when CA crashes, I will have to reboot my computer if I want to get to any of the files on my disk array because it will take it offline at that point.    

You could say - you just need to build a new computer for CA that doesn't have that controller - can you imagine if Microsoft or Adobe or Zoom or Any VPN providers, Cisco, Sonicwall,  fortigate says you'll just need to use another computer when you need to use our product?   I'm not aware of any game developers who say - oh, you want to play the latest world of wordcraft of wolfenstein or battlefield - just take some parts out of your computer.    Or box, onedrive or dropbox said you have to disable a sound driver if you need to transfer files.  Need to use Quickbooks, just boot into safe mode to do your accounting? 

I'm not dumping on CA as a whole - just stating if everything else on your computer works fine and has for years and only ONE out of many many many programs causes problems, chances are it isn't a hardware issue per se - it is the software that causes the hardware issue.   In other words - the hardware and the hardware drivers aren't the issue.    Again you could say well that is nvidia or adaptec's problem - but that isn't their job - their job is to make a good video card or raid controller with drivers that don't crash for most people using common software.  If a particular software is having a problem - it is the software maker's responsibity to work with them to  - one to point out exactly what the issue is and to do testing to get it fixed.   If they have 1 computer design at CA and it works for them, they are going to have a devil of a time knowing there are issues or working with hardware vendors to get them fixed.   I don't expect them to have a PC with a raid controller in it but that doesn't make it adaptec's fault or the computer builder's fault and you can't say you have a hardware issue.   Sure the hardware is suffering but it was working fine and minding it's own business for years until CA came along.

I have had extraordinary assistance on this forum for many many inane questions I've asked but that doesn't make CA quite ready IMHO.  I would say that people on this forum make the product worth using.  I'd say X13 feels like it still has some hurdles to jump before it should be in the release stage.   Perhaps they are focusing on x14 and so X13 isn't as important and anyone who has sa will get the  x14 upgrade so maybe that is their reasoning.

• Like 1

On 3/17/2022 at 7:36 PM, MarckusW said:

Mr Dese, I consider this a Windows 11 problem. It had just been released and it was my error to install it. I know better and I did it anyways. It is very simple when you reverse engineer it. Working fine with 10 and updated rtx drivers, Fails after installing 11. Too simple and maybe not so common now in windows releases but historically rule of thumb if you predate the "personal computer" and drove the clown cars that arrived us to this Tomorrowland. 

Unfortunately that is not the case for many of us ...I don't have Windows 11 and still have plenty of issues with X13 ( on my 3080 ) .... which will never be fixed.....I just have to hope now that by some unknown factor they fix things in X14 as apparently they can't or won't in X13 or we would of had another update since Oct. 2021....

M.

*Well B.....Me ......we got a new update in March ...not that it helped my issues - still ALL there including losing work....

16 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

Unfortunately that is not the case for many of us ...I don't have Windows 11 and still have plenty of issues with X13 ( on my 3080 ) .... which will never be fixed.....

I just have to hope now that by some unknown factor they fix things in X14 as apparently they can't or won't in X13 or we would of had another update since Oct. 2021....

M.

Sorry to hear this!

I didn't know this was a problem as up until very recently didn't come to the forum unless there was an update or I had an odd problem that I knew someone would have figured out. I had a 2080 when 13 came out and had no problems. This was in a dual xeon. My mouse would freeze up and I would have to restart once a day but this is a known problem with 10 and xeons. Since I was doing nightly CPU RT this was sometimes a problem. I did eliminate the card factor as I put the 2080 in the other tower which is an I7 5960 and had zero problems. I was tired of the mouse problem, the system was ancient and 11 was not going to support xeons so I did an AMD 5950 build and used the 2080. (btw, I drive 2 10 bit 28" monitors and a 32" tv with no issues). I had zero problems and eliminated the mouse issue. Late summer 21 I had one of my sons staying with me working on video content so we put the 2080 in the Intel 5960 tower and I picked up a 3080ti for use in the AMD. Zero problems. I did have to use the updated drivers, of course. 

November I needed to work remotely from Argentina so I took the 2080 there and put it in the Intel 5930 tower we have there. It works great. Now that I am using PBR RT there is no real time difference between the I7 CPUs performance in CA.

Another thing of note is as there was a bunch of PR at the 30 series launch about how much better and faster they are. This is definitely true when rendering camera footage from cameras that shoot RAW flavors however in the PBR RT world there is very little difference in pass time, shading and texture between a 2080 and a 3080ti unless you are in a large project. And compared to CPU RT the difference feels like nothing. I am putting that out there for anyone who can get their hands on a 20 series 2070 and up. Even a laptop 2070 will perform reasonably. 

Kbird1, I see you have a laptop with 2070 super. Do you experience the same problem on the laptop? I have had no problems with the Alienware X15 with a 3070 in win 10 and CA 13. 

53 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

Unfortunately that is not the case for many of us ...I don't have Windows 11 and still have plenty of issues with X13 ( on my 3080 ) .... which will never be fixed.....

I just have to hope now that by some unknown factor they fix things in X14 as apparently they can't or won't in X13 or we would of had another update since Oct. 2021....

M.

I think you make an excellent point that for many people it works fine but for others with different hardware  - be it a slightly different video card, motherboard, monitor, drive controller, network adapter or something that CA doesn't play well with, it is frustrating.   Some people think if something works for them it will work for everyone.   

It is difficult sometimes to think outside your own immediate situation.  For example when conducting business with somoene in a country where being over an hour late for a meeting isn't considered odd or rude.  To us they might seem to be a problem but to them they might consider us a problem.

16 minutes ago, bdillard1 said:

I think you make an excellent point that for many people it works fine but for others with different hardware  - be it a slightly different video card, motherboard, monitor, drive controller, network adapter or something that CA doesn't play well with, it is frustrating.   Some people think if something works for them it will work for everyone.   

It is difficult sometimes to think outside your own immediate situation.  For example when conducting business with somoene in a country where being over an hour late for a meeting isn't considered odd or rude.  To us they might seem to be a problem but to them they might consider us a problem.

Interesting, I haven't been paying attention to the forum until very recently. Counting in my head I have run CA versions starting at ART in the late 90s up to 13 on 7 laptops and 6 towers with the only real problems occurring in Win 11 and Apple. Clearly I have been the lucky fool blindly walking down a sunny garden path.

• 2 weeks later...

Did the latest update address this issue?  I didn't see anything in the notes  Currently running the RTX 3070 Laptop and was having frequent crashes when I updated at the beginning of February and had to revert back to 10 for stability.

2 hours ago, amddrafting said:

Did the latest update address this issue?  I didn't see anything in the notes  Currently running the RTX 3070 Laptop and was having frequent crashes when I updated at the beginning of February and had to revert back to 10 for stability.

It is hit and miss for everyone, some are good on Win11 , some not so much , and some of us are having multiple issues on Win 10 still even with last weeks Update including but not limited to a full crash again yest. -  same one I experienced as just after loading the Update.... so NO the 3D Engine apparently still needs more work.... since it underlies EVERYTHING in CA.

Mick.

Capturezxzzz.thumb.PNG.7e6e38a711d9d6e0b8c559171462ea76.PNGCapturezxzz.thumb.PNG.4d80b4a7cc3cb38c9aef5ed38235ee36.PNGCapturezxz.thumb.PNG.2266ca58dc3bc08e6bf9fb7771cd0c63.PNG

• Downvote 1

7 hours ago, Kbird1 said:

It is hit and miss for everyone, some are good on Win11 , some not so much , and some of us are having multiple issues on Win 10 still even with last weeks Update including but not limited to a full crash again yest. -  same one I experienced as just after loading the Update.... so NO the 3D Engine apparently still needs more work.... since it underlies EVERYTHING in CA.

Mick.

Capturezxzzz.thumb.PNG.7e6e38a711d9d6e0b8c559171462ea76.PNGCapturezxzz.thumb.PNG.4d80b4a7cc3cb38c9aef5ed38235ee36.PNGCapturezxz.thumb.PNG.2266ca58dc3bc08e6bf9fb7771cd0c63.PNG

I see the TRUTH hurts ...so sad.....

M.