The Windows 11, 3000 Series RTX Debacle.

BeachHouse1

Go to solution Solved by Dermot,

• Solution

Did you see this post?

NVidia released a new Game Ready driver yesterday (2/14/2022 version 511.79) that appears to help with the frequent "device removed" error messages on Windows 11.  If you are  experiencing these error messages while using an NVidia RTX 30 series card with Windows 11 we encourage you to download and use this latest driver.

You can find the driver here:

https://www.nvidia.com/Download/driverResults.aspx/187098/en-us

Please remember that all "device removed" error messages are not necessarily caused by the same problems. 

The "device removed" error message is a very generic error message that only really means that there was some kind of low level error that occurred while we were trying to generate the view. These can be caused by a wide variety of system problems, video card driver bugs, and bugs in Chief itself.  

If you continue to have problems with "device removed" error messages, please report them directly to our tech support team:

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/

• Like 1

I'm lucky to be fully updated WIN 11, RTX3080 and way too much memory with zero issues.  

I wish I could ID what is the reason it's working so I could share.   

My new MBP (apple) is crashing with chief every day....almost every couple of hours, but the WIN 11 machine is working with NO ISSUES for 10 - 12 hours straight.

- older CPU (see sig block)

- its a Puget Systems custom build

- it came with a 1080 Ti originally

- last year I was in DC and was able to get a 3080 card for crazy $$$, so I could try the real-time ray trace.

- picked up 128GB of memory to fill the 8 slots

- no other changes

I work out of Dropbox.

For details I use a single plan file with all my details set in a grid layout and reference those for details in layout.

I also create cad details from that master to each specific project as a back up

And I then also have each detail saved in the user library as a back up to that back up.

I'm using Dan Baumann's template (modified) with zero issues except for FONTs....I would love a permanent global font solution.............Arial or some thin, clean, EASY TO READ WHEN ON WET AND CRUMPLED PLANS like Apple SF Pro Text.  Hopping between macOS and WIN 11 has been a struggle sometimes.

If I can share anything regarding my WIN 11 machine hw/sw config, just ask......I will help in any way to get past this hurdle.  

We should be focused on our designs and clients..........and less on the tool's hiccups we're dealing with....

• Like 1

I am experiencing the same problem with X-13 and Windows 10 64b pro.  The number of crashes has been reduced, but I lay the responsibility for this pretty squarely at the feet of NVidea.  The only thing that I think that CA could do is somehow program a trap that still allows work up to that point to be saved.  For some reason auto save seems to stop working sometime prior to the fatal crash and abend.    

3 hours ago, BeachHouse1 said:

Is there any official solution to the incompatibility problems with Win 11 and RTX cards?

No complete fix as far as I am aware, newer Nvidia Drivers help some on Win11 , but other like myself on Win10

still have numerous Issues ....... even for those without 3000 Series cards, though I have a 3080.

these are new for me today popped up after closing a cross Section..... the 3D Camera was just the next open window I assume....

and they just kept coming , repeating...., could not close 3D camera or switch to Plan View so had to crash close Chief with Task Manager.

image.thumb.png.33dec56d550f9882f0eab0b8cd476e24.png image.thumb.png.ad3df5f8759e52515efcb6f95c28d5bb.png 

well.........now I'm starting to have Chief Architect crashes on my win 11 machine, RTX 3080

It has happened twice when I was in a 3D camera looking at a wall of cabinets and I wanted to raise the camera up so I pressed the middle mouse scroll wheel to be able to drag the model "down".  BOOM.  Crash.  Work lost. 

Now these things are affecting my business. 

I have a new mac and an aging PC and neither are having success with chief architect.

One suggestion, Perform a Clean Install of the Driver.  A Clean Install will remove all the old NVIDIA drivers and software, then install the new ones.

Download the Driver from NIDVIA, I chose Version 511.79 Game Ready Driver

Open the Download . Agree and Continue until you get to Express vs Custom.

Choose Custom (Advanced) > leave everything checked but also Check "Perform Clean Install". 

Reboot when it's done.

Ok so here is a thread I can actually participate in.  I own an IT consulting company, (MSP). 

A few things that have come Bible to us is:

- Don't rush to get the latest OS... on ANYTHING... Mac, Windows, Droid, iPhone.  Let the public test it fully and get all bugs out before you switch.

- If your device is working perfect, don't get new drivers.  "If it ain't broken, don't fix it."  Only install drivers to fix things.  (Some will argue this, but 26yrs of useless headaches have taught me).

- I'm new to CA and when I see "update available", I want to research the patch.  Is it a security patch?  A bug fix?  Or did they add 2 new countertops?  Not discounting CA, but as I said in another post recently, programming is a nightmare, God Bless the folks that do it, cuz I never could...  If the patch is a security or bug fix, go for it... If it's just a feature update... Let it go until fully vetted...

JSnell

• Like 1

I was having the deadly crashes quite constantly with multiple monitors. I was fine with just one monitor and then later switched out one of the monitors to a similar resolution and have not had any crashes in a few weeks.  

• Upvote 1

On 3/6/2022 at 8:48 PM, tpeck23 said:

I was having the deadly crashes quite constantly with multiple monitors. I was fine with just one monitor and then later switched out one of the monitors to a similar resolution and have not had any crashes in a few weeks.  

There is a known Issue with multiple monitors IF your computer uses the Nahimic 3D Sound software ...( Sound Radar in particular.)

M.

On 2/22/2022 at 10:02 AM, Doug_N said:

For some reason auto save seems to stop working sometime prior to the fatal crash and abend. 

Unfortunately for me at least, the Save/AutoSave Lock out is back with the latest/new Microsoft Update on March 9th, 2022 so I will attempt as Rollback, 

it was Okay for the last week -10 days after the previous M$ Updates , so it appears , at least in Win10 that Chief is not playing nice with with Microsoft , rather than a Nvidia Issue for this problem anyway.

@Dermot 

11mins later....still locked out.....

image.thumb.png.b713226e5c19061bdca40506bea584ff.png

**** Update:  The Rollback ( uninstall of KB KB5011487 )  to  KB5010415 has fixed the Issue again for me

Mick.

On 3/8/2022 at 12:12 PM, Kbird1 said:

There is a known Issue with multiple monitors IF your computer uses the Nahimic 3D Sound software ...( Sound Radar in particular.)

M.

not all computers have this Nahimic 3d Sound software of which you speak. 

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, tpeck23 said:

not all computers have this Nahimic 3d Sound software of which you speak. 

Yes I am aware I am the one who wrote the "How To"  and why I said IF........ but many Dells and HP Desktops do, as do many Laptops such as the MSI and Asus's I've owned.

On 3/8/2022 at 11:12 AM, Kbird1 said:

• Upvote 1

I am glad there is now a thread on this. I took an Alienware X15 with a 3070 to Argentina to train a couple architects on Chief in November last year. I updated to 11 the day before I left and had an odd crash hours before leaving. While down there it got worse. There were no threads here or in the RTX world about this so I decided it was an 11 conflict with Chief. I did a factory reset  back to 10 and reinstalled Chief and everything else. My advice to anyone dealing with this. Go back to 10. 

• Like 1

None* of my other more advanced CPU/GPU intense software has any problem/crashes running after my [Samsung Magician SSD] upgrade to Windows 11.

I have come to terms with CA is what it is, take it or leave it. I take it, love CA. Have modified my workflow expecting CA terminating on me when ever I least expect. Today terminating when hitting the "Normal" map button in a material, a new. After done selecting texture and bump files, go figure. No worries, my new me saved prior to open the modal window.

Sometime You just have to resign, letting a computer software do what it does best  

* Excel non-patterned froze for up to a half a minute on me, fixed unselecting [printer] addons

• Upvote 1

PS. Please none "try this, that" suggestions. I am done with poking my setup trying to please CA.

FYI, my level of expertise is since the -90's ins and outs of both Windows as well as Macintosh, on a [senior] software developer level

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

On 3/16/2022 at 6:37 AM, MarckusW said:

I am glad there is now a thread on this. I took an Alienware X15 with a 3070 to Argentina to train a couple architects on Chief in November last year. I updated to 11 the day before I left and had an odd crash hours before leaving. While down there it got worse. There were no threads here or in the RTX world about this so I decided it was an 11 conflict with Chief. I did a factory reset  back to 10 and reinstalled Chief and everything else. My advice to anyone dealing with this. Go back to 10. 

Me I am retiring my A business next fall. Pension, will continue drawing projects that humor me. NO WAY another dime of mine will go to CA SSA, they have to get a grip  

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2