Pony wall foundation problem

Larry_Sweeney

I have a 12" foundation wall with a cement floor flush with the top. The wall that sits on top of this wall is a 8" block wall with stone veneer and a 2X4 wall on the inside of the 8" block wall. I decided to make the 12" foundation walls on each end a pony wall consisting of 12" blocks and the top course the 8" block with stone veneer. This way I would have a ledge for my cement floor to sit on and also have stone veneer below my floor level. I built my pony wall with the top of floor at 0" and my height off floor at -8". This seemed simple enough till I looked at it in perspective floor overview. The pony wall went all wierd. The attachments shows the 12" wall and then the pony wall. I don't understand what setting I have wrong.  I get the same result when I do the opposite foundation wall. Also, when my concrete floor is built it doesn't go all the way to the block foundation where there is a pony wall (across the front) and the top block is smaller. I have my front wall made with 12" blocks and one course of 8" block on top. The concrete floor stops at the inside line of the 12" block instead of going to the 8" block. Is this a bug? As always, all advice is gretly appreciated.

Here is a Dropbox link to the file.  https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/49042923/BOYD%20STATION%2003132014.zip

post-76-0-69184600-1394634008_thumb.jpg

post-76-0-70227200-1394634019_thumb.jpg

Larry:

Just started looking at this.  For starters, you need one more CMU wall type definition.  You have both the 10" and 12" CMU wall types pointing to the same one as far as I can tell.

EDIT:  Maybe, .... I think you have only two different material definitions for CMU's and you should have three.  I don't know if that has anything to do with anything yet ... but maybe.

Larry;

I added one more material definition for CMU's so you have 6", 10" and 12" sizes covered.  I changed the sizes in the Def. Mtl. General Tab to be nominal - 3/8" and added a 3/8" mortar joint (e.g. 6" CMU changed to 5-5/8"D x 7-5/8"H x 15-5/8"L) and made sure the 8" settings were right (they wanted to be 7-5/8" so I fixed those).  I then took a foundation floor overview and all looks good to me.  In a back clipped section view, where you slab, insulation and gravel layer connects with the foundation wall, it doesn't go all the way to the upper pony wall CMU's because the overall depth of the combined 3 layers is greater than 8".  If you auto detail the wall section, Chief allows us to edit each of those layers so you can get them where you want to by editing the end position of each.  You will have to put a break in the gravel layer to make it look right.  Other than that, if you make those changes, all looks well to me.

Curt.....Sorry, I must be having a "brain fart", but i'm lost as to what you're trying to tell me.  "I added one more material definition for CMU's so you have 6", 10" and 12" sizes covered."  Where should I be looking? You're not talking wall types---right?

Curt....I gave each size CMU it's own material definition with the "Grey block-running bond" as the material and changed the size settings for each size of block. When I made my pony wall with 12" blocks for the lower blocks and the top course 8" with stone veneer (same as block wall on first floor) I still get the weird wall like is shown in the attachment. When using just 12" blocks for the foundation everything was okay before. When you said everything looked okay, did you mean with a pony wall like I described in my first thread.or with just the 12" foundation wall (no pony wall)? Is it my understanding that you need to have a different material (Grey-Blocks running bond, _2, _3, etc.) for each different size of block with it's own spec. sizes? This is something I never did before and I don't remember ever having a problem. I'm just trying to clairifly things, because my pony wall results is crap. Thank you for your patience.

THIS IS THE FOURTH TIME i'VE HIT "POST". I HOPE IT POST THIS TIME!

Larry:

Try this (brain farts are acceptable by the way).  Go to your foundation level and select each different wall type you have (I found you have 6", 10" and 12" CMU stemwall types).  Open the wall definition for each, click on plan materials, edit and see if the material definition matches the stemwall thickness.  When I did this, I think the 12" CMU wall type had the wrong (thickness) material definition.  I think your actual wall definitions themselves are OK, unless you want to mess with the dimension reductions I did and add the mortar joints.

Just before I closed you plan I clicked on your defaults > floor and defaults > foundation and thought they looked "unusual" (in the structure tab) but I took several sections through your model and all the elevations looked OK so not sure what was going on in the dialog.

If you are still having trouble after checking out the material definitions, let me know.  I save the plan and can shoot it back to you via dropbox.

Reply to your next post that just showed up:

Larry ... I will zip your saved plan with my tweaks to it and send you a dropbox link.  Give me a couple of minutes to do that.

Lew....All the .jpg files came through. The .plan file was not in the list with the material jpegs once I opened the zipped file. If the plan was still open nothing would have shown----correct? In the instance where I sent the file from my end the other day, I'm positive I had the plan closed before I zipped it. I'm pretty sure this is the same situation on Curt's end this time.

Sometimes, doing some things seems so confusing.  I "think" I just repeated the exact same process to zip your plan file.  This time the zipped file is 5+ MB's and WinZip says the file is 26.9 Mb's.  On my desktop where I have the file temporarily located, it says it's 25.6 Mb's.  There seems to be some MB's in this plan that are either non-existant or they're running around like chickens with their heads removed.  I clicked on the file in my WinZip dialog and the plan opens up OK so I am going to attempt to attach it here again.

Larry_BoydStation.zip

By the way, here's an image of your floor defaults when clicked while on floor 1.  Not sure why it looks like that but it seems to be working.

post-191-0-91986800-1394657384_thumb.jpg

Hope this works this time.

Curt............I still have the same problem when I try and make a pony wall on the right side (30' wall). I've been "playing with this wall off and on all afternoon. I have been trying to use 12" CMU on the bottom and the 8"w/stone veneer for the top course of the pony wall. The top course being the same block wall type as used on the first floor above the same foundation wall I'm trying to make into a pony wall. I started making this pony wall out of other block "setups". I used the same setup I have for the pony wall across the front. (10" on bottom 6" for top course) I got no weird pony wall. Then I changed the top course to a plain 8" CMU wall and everything still looked good. I then changed the top course from the plain 8" block to the 8" block w/stone veneer and the pony wall went weird. This is the same wall type that is right above this foundation wall on the first floor. ----- conculsion... there is something in the way I have the 8" block w/stone veneer set up that is causing the problem. I have the the outside of the 8" block as the main layer for both wall types and they are setup to align with the main layer and the stone veneer sticks out pass on the block above. I'll figure it out and let you know what it was.

As for the image of the 1st flr defaults. I looked at the defaults on the same plan that I've been working on and it looks okay. Not like the one you're showing. Somewhere along the line I fixed whatever was going on there.

Larry:

The cure is simple ... delete that foundation wall and rebuild it.  When I did, I had to pull the top down to your 40" height.  Looks good in a foundation floor overview and the cross section through the wall looks good as well.  Give it a try.  I had the same problem you did only better (worse better that is) ... I had a sliver of mortar shooting 10's of feet up into the sky:

post-191-0-29651500-1394669685_thumb.jpg

The new wall looks much better:

post-191-0-43799300-1394669770_thumb.jpg           post-191-0-66809900-1394669816_thumb.jpg

You can doctor up the details.

By the way, nice looking design.   

.......This seemed simple enough till I looked at it in perspective floor overview. The pony wall went all wierd. ......

Here is a Dropbox link to the file.  https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/49042923/BOYD%20STATION%2003132014.zip

I have seen this recently,  I am getting fed up with constantly having to muddle my way thru this crap..... to fix it I deleted the foundation wall and drew another in it's place by dragging an existing wall.....  I have libraries disappearing,  nonsense like this and there was something else this morning that popped up which was a reoccurence of a previous bug......  I forgot what is was but I am assuming it will pop up again.

Hmmmm.  I just did an edit to the above post and it didn't take.  I think ChiefTalk has got some bugs in it yet that need fixin.

Larry:

I took one last look at your plan and realized the section I show in my post above was an older section that wasn't accurate.  I noticed that in a 3D foundation floor overview, that the 8" CMU with stone didn't go down 8" below the floor level.  I had to go in and plug in the -8" settings again and then checked with a new cross section and overview and it looked right ... except the 8" of stone had a little piece missing at the corner which I had to fix by selecting the upper foundation pony wall in camera view and dragging an edge over to the corner. 

Sometimes walls have something corrupt them and the only cure is to delete the darn things and put in a new one.  Hope you get it fixed OK by doing the same.  Good Luck.

Be careful Scott ... I see you have a receding hairline.  If you keep screwing up your plans you'll look like me .... AND HAVE TO WHERE A HAT! :D

Dog  gone it  Curt,  I noticed the same thing,  but I think it is the reflection and the angle of the camera when the picture was taken.  My younger brothers have the receding hairline,  I am sure it is a misconception on your part,  please check the prescription for your glasses.

Glenn,,,,,Yes, I have the new update.

Curt and Scott.......All the frigging around on this pony wall and who would have know the solution was to just delete it and then rebuild. :wacko: This lesson was well learned. Many thanks to all (and especially Curt on this subject) for taking the time. Time is something we never get back. Have a great day.

Yes, there are different items not working correctly on the new Chieftalk. I bet I posted a half dozen times and the post would not go through. I would hit "post" then get the "flashing block" at the top of the screen and nothing else happened. Every time this happened I would open another IE window for Chieftalk, go to the thread in question, go to reply, copy what I wrote in the reply that would not go through into the new reply window, post that reply and it would go right through. Like I said, this has happened MANY times to me over the last few days. The other item seems to be when sending a large plan file through as an attachment the actual .plan file is not part of the zipped file sent. This happened to me twice in the pass week or so and it occurred with Curt yesterday. I know in my instances I had the plan closed when I zipped it and besides the zipped files weren't completely empty. They had all the material/texture .jpg files. Just no .plan file. This is a problem----yes?

Yes, there are different items not working correctly on the new Chieftalk. I bet I posted a half dozen times and the post would not go through. I would hit "post" then get the "flashing block" at the top of the screen and nothing else happened......

I thought it was only me,  I too have problems at times posting comments.....  starting to become a true waste of time.....