Staircases - stacked over each other - not doing well

bdillard1

Go to solution Solved by MPDesign,

Hello,

I have a stairwell going from my living room down to my basement.   I'd like to stack my stairwell going upstairs over that stairwell.   

I have the opening created for the basement steps - but right now until I get the ones going upstairs to the next floor it is a bit dangerous.  (I don't know for sure if there will be a second floor or just an attic).

basement

image.thumb.png.3ada58701a8b395d0e8886af7c27987c.png

1st floor shows the hole with the stairs going to the basement - I need to stack some stairs over that hole.

image.thumb.png.d5aa8393f267f76a24feeb2602479581.png

The plan is linked below

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AonCBRorVv74rBG4y7WfqeZs_1nO?e=mVyq32  

Thanks for looking at my issue.

I found this video but when I tried to convert that overhang just to the left of the front entrance to a landing - it seems to drop a floor.   I seem to only manage to put stairs within my stairs on the basement stairs or put stairs that are sticking out of my roof.  

• Solution

I would suggest getting your basement stairs sized and located first. Then build walls in the basement to stack under the entry walls above. This keeps your stack straight.

Then use a room divider wall to create an unspecified room over your lower landing. Then draw your stairs going to 2nd floor/ attic.

Nutella3rdD23e-stairs fix.zip

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I got the updated plan - my house got looted! :)   I guess my taste in bedroom lamps must be really bad because that is the only thing they left - the only thing more insulting than getting robbed is when the robbers have a better sense of home decor than I do!   That is cool - may I ask how you do that to keep the size down?

Thanks very much for looking at this - this is wonderful!   I apologize in advance but I'll have several more questions.    This has stumped me since I first looked at CA. 

You say I should get my basement stairs sized and located first The basement ones look perfect in the drawing you created - I messed up on my wall thickness so I need to adjust that but do I need to do anything else other than adjust their width?   I'll upload a new drawing once I know that, I'll attempt to duplicate your work.

Walls are behaving badly, not sure what the problem is. It appears the main floor was originally a pony wall default and the footing was turned on when created. I tried to correct it but it appears to be stuck to the original default settings. I would send a copy of this plan to chief support to get some idea of why it will not obey command changes.

Oh and sorry for looting the house! :)

The trick to reduce the size is strip out all the interior stuff, lights included. (missed checking that off in ( file, edit, delete objects)

Then save the plan, close it and open again, save and close. For some reason it seams to take this method to get it to size down.

• Like 1

Good stuff!  Thanks!

I'll contact support - I've been meaning to any ways - since I switched to an RTX video card I get the BSOD but only when I'm in CA and it isn't consistant.   I have other programs that use the RTX but none of them crash my PC just CA.  I turned off the sound functionality of the card but that didn't resolve it.

After I speak with them I'll post again.    Thanks so much!

I haven't called support yet, I figure they won't be there for at least an hour but I have started to look at some of your work.   I think I fixed the default wall settings for new walls as well as the existing ones.

I'm going to ask one or two questions at a time to hopefully learn from you.

The stairs went from 46" total width to 42" - is that to accommodate a wall or for another reason?

I've posted the full plan again but I'm also trying to do the trick to strip it.    Is this the object thing you were speaking of?

image.thumb.png.47e416c30d5da3544901b5e098ecd695.png  If so I'm not sure which items to select.

Nice!  The delete object worked!

Sorry for the confusion - so if I don't change them to 42 - they'll go up to high on the flight from the first floor to the attic or is the opening not wide enough on the 1st floor to the attic?

The only reason I'm asking, as a kid, my parents constantly had me hauling chairs and stuff up and down the basement stairs so I'm trying to make them wide - in case the cycle of abuse continues.   

In the mean time I'll call tech support at CA.    Edit - I should have called sooner - their entire support team is in a meeting - not an emergency though.

Since the attic may probably get used at most for xmas decorations the stairs are of a lesser concern at the moment.    I'm not sure if I can get away with stairwells with different slopes but I was hoping for something more like this - https://1drv.ms/u/s!AonCBRorVv74rBM80vIPwuOH5gl3?e=RpRlL8 if possible.

Thanks!   I'm laughing to myself because you already got the crossview where it is needed.  I keep on first find it then putting it in the wrong place before I get it to the right place.

I'll post a little bit at a time so I don't freak you out with too much to fix.  I really appreciate you hanging in there.

I didn't want to do too many things and go in the wrong direction.    Here is the basement - I think correct?    I changed the stairs a bit because there will be 14" trusses holding up the 1st floor.  

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AonCBRorVv74rBXvap8ff392QI_F?e=YEqYsi 

If I line up the wall with the little rectangle I drew which is where it sits on basement drawing, the opening over the stairwell to the basment goes away and the stairs from the basement will hit the flooring of the first floor - is that part of the plan and they go away when I put another staircase over them?

image.thumb.png.fea80929cd8b4d5b6e0ae1ed3cdfde47.png