Difficulty Dimensioning to CAD in Section View

robdyck

Go to solution Solved by robdyck,

Does anyone else find it very difficult to pickup CAD objects in Section View? For the sake of simplicity, I do use some CAD items in section view. But in X13, I find it very difficult to get a dimension to grab those items.

I use a dimension with Locate Settings: End To End and CAD objects are all checked except for Text. I'd be interested to know if other users have similar issues. In the snippet, I have 3 CAD items that the dimension line should pickup, 2 polylines and 1 cad insulation box. The dimension simply will not pick them up. It works slightly better if I Uncheck Lines / Sides (see video). That's backwards, no?

image.thumb.png.23b9c68ec5e6f665e9bd113d642ae4ff.png

On 2/18/2022 at 6:47 PM, kylejmarsh said:

I love how they mark this as a 'solution'

That was me and I did that with the hopes that it would aid anyone else dealing with the same problem. I don't actually think it's a solution. If I try to snap a dimension to the edge of a polyline, I think it should be pretty simple, and it should hit the edge, not a corner. But we play the hand we're dealt.

• Upvote 1

Thanks! Have deleted it. Anyway I do agree with the post - dimensioning in elevations should be improved. How about having some snaps for what you want to dimension in the elevation, same way they do in plan view?

BTW I'm not sure how the original toolbar layout does it but I keep my snaps off to the right side like this. You could imagine similar for elevation/section snaps.

Screen Shot 2022-02-21 at 10.17.07 AM.png

FYI to all, An elevation is just a special classification of a 3d ortho view with a generated cad overlayed at the fixed location of your elevation camera. So most a snappable  elements are only as a snappable as they would be in a 3d Ortho.

Section Lines are produced at section cuts, maybe unlock the Section Lines layer.