Detailed electrical wiring in 3D?

ChiefUserLars

Go to solution Solved by Kbird1,

Hi,

A remodeling project will need visible electrical wiring. Ideally, I want to place wires in a specific order along ceilings, to avoid wires crossing.

I can give instructions to the electricians by using electrical legends and written instructions.

However, I would like to place wires visibly in 3D, much as you can do with HVAC. The reasons are project owner wishes, and less likelihood the electricians cause unwanted visible electrical wire  crossovers.

If I could place electrical wires in 3D, I could for example show wire #1 in red color, wire #2 in blue and so forth. Any advice on how to possibly approach (or avoid :-) ) placing electrical wiring in 3D space?

Thanks /Lars

1 hour ago, ChiefUserLars said:

Hi,

A remodeling project will need visible electrical wiring. Ideally, I want to place wires in a specific order along ceilings, to avoid wires crossing.

I can give instructions to the electricians by using electrical legends and written instructions.

However, I would like to place wires visibly in 3D, much as you can do with HVAC. The reasons are project owner wishes, and less likelihood the electricians cause unwanted visible electrical wire  crossovers.

If I could place electrical wires in 3D, I could for example show wire #1 in red color, wire #2 in blue and so forth. Any advice on how to possibly approach (or avoid :-) ) placing electrical wiring in 3D space?

Thanks /Lars

You could do this with 3d moldings, but, I'm very curious why it would be a problem to cross wires. Are you referring to data lines that can't be in proximity to electrical? Are you actually referring to exposed unshielded nm cable in conditioned space? This is a code violation

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Renerabbitt said:

You could do this with 3d moldings, but, I'm very curious why it would be a problem to cross wires. Are you referring to data lines that can't be in proximity to electrical? Are you actually referring to exposed unshielded nm cable in conditioned space? This is a code violation

Hi, in this case it is solely about visual appearance. Some of the wires are ethernet cat 6, but shielded, short distances, so neither interference nor bend radius will be issues. Some other are shielded 220V. Following code in this country makes the 220V shielded cabling quite thick, which is why less physical cable crossings will result in a visually more pleasing experience, as these cables cannot be hidden.

Anyway, thanks for the advice on moldings! :) Did not think about that.

Greatings from Norway

• Solution
8 hours ago, ChiefUserLars said:

However, I would like to place wires visibly in 3D, much as you can do with HVAC

(3D) Molding Lines should work , although quite a bit of work I imagine.....

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-00934/creating-hvac-and-plumbing-runs.html

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-02840/generating-3d-ductwork.html

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-02882/using-3d-molding-polylines.html

• Like 1