Take off Estimates using Materials Lists

SCI_Design

Does anyone out there actually use the materials list to estimate their takeoffs? And if so, are you able to get an accurate estimate that makes it worth your time to use rather than doing by hand?

Just seems to be real finnicky but if in the long run can save us time and money then it will be worth it to us to invest more time into materials list training. 

Thanks in advance!

I have a few customers that use them. As for accuracy...it's simply input - output. Chief's material list is as accurate as the model I create.

Is it finnicky? Yeah, it's playing with spreadsheets...everyone's favorite!! A soul sucking way to spend your time, but it is a great tool that in the right hands can be very powerful, and get's better and simpler the more you use it. 

15 hours ago, SCI_Design said:

Is there ways you have had to adjust when creating your model from the start, that you may have not had to worry about before the materials list was a function? 

Chief is set up with a generic 4'x8' drywall material out of the box. I made different types of drywall materials for use on specialized wall types: 54" 12' for 9'H walls, 48" 12' for 8'H and garage walls, and 4'x12'x5/8" for ceilings (the thickness is set in the room structure but the material has 5/8" in the name so it lists separately from 1/2"). Also have a special interior wall type that has 54" on one side and 48" on the other, for the house-garage common walls, and two standard exterior walls, one with 54" for main floor exterior walls and one with 48" for garage and second floor exterior walls.

A generic "drywall" material is useless in the material list, if the plan calls for different types of drywall.

My builders use the ML all the time, especially for roofing, siding, flooring and trim, paint, drywall.....

The framing can be tricky, but the local lumber yard they use will do that take off for ordering anyway, everything else they order from the list and add a % for waste.

It is very accurate, as long as your model is accurate.