Engineer's in your area

winterdd

Just wondering how engineer's in your area operate. Take for instance myself. Once I am complete with a full plan set, the client's choose an engineer from my suggestions and then I send off the dwg files to them to do their work. Some times they change the framing members, footers etc. and stamp their own work on THEIR drawing borders and we slip them into my plans. The county then views my work as the architectural drawings and their's as the engineered ones and still want them ALL to keep in their filing system. There have been a few times I have been asked by an engineer to change things and they stamp my actual work on MY borders. Just curious to see how other parts of the nation operate when it comes to designer's and engineer's.

I have requests now and then of people who live in rural areas who do not require a stamp and making the liability greater on myself and I am wondering if I should stop doing those homes. How do you guys deal with homes not requiring stamps?

i get both, externally drawn and stamped, and my drawings stamped. I prefer my drawings as I will put in more details.

If not required by law to stamp, then the famous "errors and omissions" clause applies.

Most plans here do not require a stamp except tall walls, and the engineer will sometimes limit his scope to the tall wall anyway. floor/truss guys do the floor/trusses, point loads

I see a bit of a gap in that the engineer does not always check that, for instance the footing and column in my drawing are sufficient for the point load in the floor guy's drawing.

53 minutes ago, jasonn1234 said:

If not required by law to stamp, then the famous "errors and omissions" clause applies.

I cannot get State Farm to issue me an E&O policy. Their reasoning is engineer's check/stamp my work. Very aggravating actually. 

but you could put in the disclaimer on the drawings and as part of the contract. I have a "structural details incl post/beam/footing to be  TBD by structural engineer" then people ask "do I have to" then I say, not required by law but you may wish to for peace of mind.

3 hours ago, joey_martin said:

Know your stuff, pay your premiums.

As an AIBD member I have access to insurance companies that will provide E&O insurance to qualified designers and architects at good rates.

https://aibd.org/aibd_liability-insurance/

This is good! How hard to become a member? I have heard of the company but never researched them. Sounds like it has many helpful benefits.

10 hours ago, jasonn1234 said:

but you could put in the disclaimer on the drawings and as part of the contract. I have a "structural details incl post/beam/footing to be  TBD by structural engineer" then people ask "do I have to" then I say, not required by law but you may wish to for peace of mind.

I agree on this, I have something similar.

2 minutes ago, Chrisb222 said:

Having the insurance and the disclaimer are both good, but I still would not operate without an LLC. And then make sure it's run properly and cannot be pierced.

Yes, Definitely made sure to form an LLC a while back.