Looking For Design Help For A Phoenix, Az Home Renovation

PhxRemodel

Hello,

I am new to Chief Architect and have been developing drawings/layout/blueprints for my current home using Home Designer Pro.  I feel like I'm going to be incapable of getting the detail needed due to the custom nature of my home and the ultimate goal which is to be able to submit plans to the city for a home renovation.  My home is a 2 story farmhouse with timber framing.  It has a gable roof with two doghouse dormers on the west slope that I want to connect with a shed dormer enabling the creation of two rooms on the 2nd floor.  First however I need to draw the plans to my home in its current state since plans apparently do not exist.  I will also need structural calculations at some point during the renovation planning and city submittal.  Thank you and I look forward rot hearing from you.

Brad

319-929-1646

carlton_61761@yahoo.com

Umm, I don't think HD Pro would get you far enough seeing ans how it only allows for 11 x 17 or some such format and most BD and PD want 24 x36.

Plus HD Pro only allows one page at a time from what I understand.

Anyway, you need the services of a design professional and an engineer for your project. An engineer licensed in AZ.

Send me what you have Brad and I will take a look at it.

Andy.

HD PRO can do 18 x 24 at 1/4" scale

and 36 x 48 at 1/8" scale

I submitted many plans on 11 x 17 and 18 x 24

all depends on what the officials want - it varies by locale

even with one page layout -each page can be saved

then assembled as they are printed

can it be done using PRO - maybe

should it be done using PRO - depends

engineering is another issue to consider

some states allow homeowner or builder to create most of the pages

and only require engineer/architect to sign/stamp their pages

other states require every page to be signed/stamped

here in NY I could prepare plans but every page must be reviewed

then signed/stamped

Lew

Being able to create working drawings really has nothing to do with "ability" to design your own home/remodel.  The value created in the difference of having a professional (architect or VERY good designer) influence the design, in combination with your goals, pays off greatly in livability and when you go to sell your home. 

Id highly encourage you to NOT simply look for someone that can mechanically create drawings for you, but rather someone to take what you have in mind for a remodel and blend with your existing structure.  Start with that point, and then move to "working drawings" - which may require an engineer.   

All the best.

Here in Arizona, my plans go in on 8.5x11 paper. Code enforcement is happy they are not in crayon.

No Architect stamps, no seismic issues, no engineering unless there is something way out of the ordinary. 

Guess I have it easy.

Really???....  you submit a plan set on letter size paper?  At what scale?  That is amazing to me.

Really???....  you submit a plan set on letter size paper?  At what scale?  That is amazing to me.

I can not get the notes pertaining to the low usage plumbing on a sheet that size,  let alone a floor plan.  Ahhhhh,  California,  don't we all love it.

Really. My projects are small, usually 500 sq ft or less. Lots are tiny -- often 40x60. 5-7 pages.

They would not accept plans for a house at that size.

I was going to ask what part of AZ you are in that you can do it without engineering and on small paper, but this explains it.

Now that I'm thinking about it, what part of Arizona are you in?

I'm in the Phoenix Area.