Windows 11

builtright3

On 1/26/2022 at 7:46 PM, Dermot said:

We have recently had to update our list of known incompatibilities to include a new section about Windows 11 and Nvidia Series 30 video cards.  I am not aware of any known problems with the GTX 1070 card.

Windows 11 with NVIDIA 30 Series Graphics

• Products & Versions Affected: Chief Architect X13 and Home Designer 2022
  • Platform: Windows 11 with NVIDIA RTX 30 series graphics
  • Description: Software closes unexpectedly and then presents the following error: "An internal rendering error has occurred: device removed" typically when opening a camera view or a dialog with a preview window.
  • Solution: There appears to be an incompatibility between Windows 11 and the NVIDIA drivers. At this time, the best solution is to roll back to Windows 10. We are currently working closely with NVIDIA; however, an expected resolution date has not been set. If you'd like, you can contact NVIDIA Support as well. This will help them gauge how this issue is affecting their customers and may also give them an opportunity to collect additional information to help resolve the problem: https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/support/consumer/

Went to a single monitor and all was well. switched back to a multimonitor setup and crashed immediately with full perspective view. 3090 graphics card

2 hours ago, tpeck23 said:

Went to a single monitor and all was well. switched back to a multimonitor setup and crashed immediately with full perspective view. 3090 graphics card

there is a known issue with multi-monitor setups if the computer uses Nahimic's 3D Radar Software....

On 2/3/2022 at 9:13 PM, Kbird1 said:

there is a known issue with multi-monitor setups if the computer uses Nahimic's 3D Radar Software....

I do not have that on my computer. wish i did.  I may have to go back to windows 10 possibly. i have noticed that it isn't happening on some newer less intense drawings. I have multi monitors setup for those and the moment i go back to open some of the other larger projects it crashes immediately with the perspective view.

1 hour ago, tpeck23 said:

I do not have that on my computer. wish i did.  I may have to go back to windows 10 possibly. i have noticed that it isn't happening on some newer less intense drawings. I have multi monitors setup for those and the moment i go back to open some of the other larger projects it crashes immediately with the perspective view.

Those with Windows 11 seem to be having a better experience with the latest Driver 511.65  ( assuming you aren't already using it? )

https://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/186770/en-us

Nvidia has also released a newer hotfix Driver since  511.72

https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5320

• Upvote 1

Are those of you that said you are having success with the new driver still feeling that way? I updated my driver to the 511.65 game-ready that rolled out on Feb 2, and initially was thinking all my problems had been solved. The last two days...not so much. Dozens of crashes per day. Right now I get to work on a drawing for about 5 minutes before it again crashes. I'm working through final cabinet drawings on a plan set, and that has me bouncing between layout and plan. Our cabinet sets include a lot of heavily-notated wall elevations and we prefer standard mode (to vector) with lines turned on (so grain direction is clear to the cabinet shop/clients). Of course with standard mode we are sending our plan elevations to layout in "live view". About every other time we jump into layout an internal rendering error occurs or the program gets hung up and requires a force quite. I know I'm asking a lot of the hardware/software but this sort of thing is exactly why we spent a lot of money on a built-up machine. None of my most recent crashes have anything to do with a Camera, full or otherwise. 

Love to hear latest thoughts...I'm happy to flip to Windows 10, but it just sounds like CA and Nvidia are right on the cusp of solving the issue, and if that's the case I'd prefer not to take more time away from our projects to install 10, then eventually switch back to 11. 

But right now, this is not functional.

23 minutes ago, TrimbachDesign said:

None of my most recent crashes have anything to do with a Camera, full or otherwise. 

All Views in Chief are 3D whether they look like it or not and thus are effected by the new Rendering engine, even the Library and PB Previews etc

you could try the HF Driver 511.72 (above) or perhaps an older Driver like 472.12 which is stable for many Users on other Forums.

I will say I have far fewer Issues on my 3080 if I don't use STD View , but it  is not the same experience X12 was.

M.

6 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

All Views in Chief are 3D whether they look like it or not and thus are effected by the new Rendering engine, even the Library and PB Previews etc

you could try the HF Driver 511.72 (above) or perhaps an older Driver like 472.12 which is stable for many Users on other Forums.

I will say I have far fewer Issues on my 3080 if I don't use STD View , but it  is not the same experience X12 was.

M.

Good point with 3d views (even if they are cross sections)... I should have understood that before. I'll give the HF a shot, thanks for the link above. I didn't realize this came out after the most recent game-ready driver. 

The good news is, I've had no crashes in my most recent project.

Windows 11, X13 and the NVIDIA 3080 Ti 12GB with the latest driver.

I completed and entire house including all doors, windows, cabinets, electrical, roof, complete project.

No problems, very stable.  I tried to make it crash in 3D and RTRT.

I started fresh, creating new Templates and all Libraries downloaded new.

18 hours ago, Electromen said:

The good news is, I've had no crashes in my most recent project.

Windows 11, X13 and the NVIDIA 3080 Ti 12GB with the latest driver.

I completed and entire house including all doors, windows, cabinets, electrical, roof, complete project.

No problems, very stable.  I tried to make it crash in 3D and RTRT.

I started fresh, creating new Templates and all Libraries downloaded new.

It seems to work for me also, thanks for the heads up, kbird

Thank you for your patience as we worked with NVidia regarding crashes in Chief Architect when using an RTX 30 series graphics card on Windows 11.

NVidia has released a new Game Ready driver today (2/14/2022 version 511.79) that appears to help with these crashes.

https://www.nvidia.com/Download/driverResults.aspx/187098/en-us

If you are still experiencing crashes and are using an NVidia RTX 30 series card with Windows 11 we encourage you to download this latest driver and let us know if it helps.

If you continue to have trouble after updating, please let our Technical Support team know by creating a Technical Support case here: https://support.chiefarchitect.com/home  

• Upvote 2

• 4 weeks later...

I had just recently upgraded to a new computer with Windows 11,and a NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 graphic card. X13 kept running slow, and crashing when trying to go into 3D viewing (perspective overview)

since updating to the latest driver (511.79) there has been no issues. Even tried forcing it to crash, but still going strong.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

As I've not seen any posts lately regarding Win 11/Chief problems, I thought I'd take advantage of the holiday break to do the upgrade. Am I correct to assume that all of the earlier issues have been resolved?

On 2/14/2022 at 4:53 PM, CarrieS said:

Thank you for your patience as we worked with NVidia regarding crashes in Chief Architect when using an RTX 30 series graphics card on Windows 11.

NVidia has released a new Game Ready driver today (2/14/2022 version 511.79) that appears to help with these crashes.

https://www.nvidia.com/Download/driverResults.aspx/187098/en-us

If you are still experiencing crashes and are using an NVidia RTX 30 series card with Windows 11 we encourage you to download this latest driver and let us know if it helps.

If you continue to have trouble after updating, please let our Technical Support team know by creating a Technical Support case here: https://support.chiefarchitect.com/home  

I am using the NVIDIA 12/5/2022 driver and get crashes when using Standard Render technique, so I have taken to quickly switch to vector view to avoid crashes at least for now. Otherwise my PC is totally stable and fast.

DJP

1 hour ago, DavidJPotter said:

am using the NVIDIA 12/5/2022 driver and get crashes when using Standard Render technique, so I have taken to quickly switch to vector view to avoid crashes at least for now. Otherwise my PC is totally stable and fast.

I moved to win11 about a month ago and was having issues with crashes on cameras. I rolled back to nov Nvidia studio driver and it is better so far

3 hours ago, ericepv said:

As I've not seen any posts lately regarding Win 11/Chief problems, I thought I'd take advantage of the holiday break to do the upgrade. Am I correct to assume that all of the earlier issues have been resolved?

The problem was never really only related to Windows 11. I've never had 11 for example and still have crashes on a 3080 and  3080Ti

and the issue has reared it's head again recently with Nvidia Drivers in the 525.xx  and 527.xx Series Drivers but I'm having better luck on 526.86.

( The 522.xx series was bad for many outside Chief User as well so I avoided them too)

This is the most recent thread about crashes I think....

https://chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com/topic/37398-is-anyone-else-having-issues-with-a-graphics-card-warning/

M.

Thank you all for your help in making my decision,

This is the laptop that I decided to go with as per my newly revised signature. I don’t do Ray Tracing and the ThinkPad is a very durable Laptop for travel and I do a lot of it. My last laptop computer was an ASUS gaming computer (4 years old) and I had to be very careful with it and it was still slow at times. I know a desktop computer is the way to go for speed and performance, but it doesn’t fit my traveling lifestyle. I now have three LENOVO COMPUTERS:
My wife has a three-year-old ThinkPad and we also have a Four-year-old ThinkCenter desk top. In my opinion they are better than anything I have ever purchased for a computer. Very dependable and durable.

I will most likely never retire so I decided to start traveling as much as possible a few years ago and enjoy life and family while I still can. I have to stay mobile for now until the Lord changes my direction.

Any question or more information anyone is interested in let me know.

i've got a couple laptops and the lenovo thinkpad  is rock solid, but mine is 4 years old and does not have the greatest GPU. The new computer I bought last year was a gigabyte Aurus 17". I can say the larger screen size is not only great for CA, but also watching movies. so if you are going to buy a new one next time and you are on the road a lot, you might want to consider the larger screen size

1 hour ago, SHCanada2 said:

i've got a couple laptops and the lenovo thinkpad  is rock solid, but mine is 4 years old and does not have the greatest GPU. The new computer I bought last year was a gigabyte Aurus 17". I can say the larger screen size is not only great for CA, but also watching movies. so if you are going to buy a new one next time and you are on the road a lot, you might want to consider the larger screen size

Thank yoyu for sharing

I had a 17" laptop before and it was just to big and bulky to use on an air plane or in a car when traveling.
I take and extra 24" monitor with me in my suitcase when I travel. These new flat monitors pack easy and take up very little room and I prefer to have at least two monitors to work on anyway. They are also very cheap.
I also use my Ipad pro 11 for an addtional monitor sometimes. That has really helped me sevral times when I needed to get someting out quickly. Once you get used to 2 or 3 monitors its hard to work with just one screen. The ipad as a monitor is also nice becasue of the touch screen. I use it to do all my signatures.

I use "duet" to connect ipad to laptop

• 3 months later...

This is an older thread, but I've resisted Windows 11 until now.  I'm planning to install it on a separate SSD just to be safe, but I'm wondering if all the issues have now been worked out with the Nvida RTX30 series cards?