Page Number Macro Question

DRyeHD

Go to solution Solved by Alaskan_Son,

I have a total of 14 possible layout pages I use.  I have my layout pages defined using the # sign.  On my "0" layout page I use %page.print% for the page number and %numpages% to get the total number of pages.  I don't always use all 14 pages but would rather not delete them from the client layout file in case they decide they want additional pages later.  So, as it is, even if I just need six pages the number 14 displays (see attachment).  Is there a way to get that macro to reflect the number of pages used in my layout schedule or the number of actual pages that I will print?  Also, is there an easier way to select which pages display in the layout table than opening each layout page and editing each one's layout page information (like a list of layout pages you could pull up and select/deselect the two checkboxes on this DBX?

PageNumbers.jpg

6 minutes ago, DRyeHD said:

Is there a way to get that macro to reflect the number of pages used in my layout schedule or the number of actual pages that I will print?

You should only get the number of printed pages as long as your remaining pages are empty.  Do you have objects placed onto your extra pages?

1 hour ago, DRyeHD said:

Is there a way to get that macro to reflect the number of pages used in my layout

I use %numpages% this gives number of printed pages. 
example:  %page% of %numpages% 

(but check “use as page template” in the Layout Page Specification DBX for whatever pages you don’t want to print. 

Not sure if it’s the best way but it works. 

As for Layout Page Table just check or uncheck that option for the page in question while you’re in the same Layout Page Specification DBX. 

• Upvote 1

I've looked over my template with consideration of the advice given.  I made a couple of changes but the number of printed pages is still not what I need.  I do have information on nine pages; four of those nine I don't plan to use on this drawing but I don't want to delete the information in case the customer decides that they want an electrical plan (or something elsse) and I need that information.  In the current case, I would like the number of printed pages to reflect how many pages are in the set (which is five).

I understand what the macro is doing so I either need a macro that will do what I need or to use a different process for my notes (like putting them in a CAD Detail and pulling them onto a layout page as required).  What do you all suggest?

SamplePage.jpg

I think what a person needs is the ability to place layout boxes on layers. Then you could simple place unused items on their own layer and turn them off if they won't be used.

In the meantime, maybe you could place those items in a layout CAD detail, using cut / paste. That'd be really quick to do and really quick to add back into layout if needed.

The CAD detail method may have to be the solution.

I'm not familiar with CA macros and Ruby (have been looking at it a bit in my spare time) but it seems if I have a layout table that identifies five pages, there should be a macro that could extract that information and put it into usable text.

• Solution
15 minutes ago, DRyeHD said:

The CAD detail method may have to be the solution.

I'm not familiar with CA macros and Ruby (have been looking at it a bit in my spare time) but it seems if I have a layout table that identifies five pages, there should be a macro that could extract that information and put it into usable text.

I could probably write you a custom macros for this purpose, but there are a couple easier options.  @Michael_Gia already mentioned one of them when he said...

16 hours ago, Michael_Gia said:

check “use as page template” in the Layout Page Specification DBX for whatever pages you don’t want to print. 

Another much easier option is to simply place the desired numbers of pages manually.  Yes, its an extra step, but its pretty easy to just enter the number you want instead of jumping through all the hoops required for other methods. 

@builtright3, that looks like it should work.  Will they know the background behind it and how it's supposed to work?  Per my requirement, I wanted a macro that would display the total number of pages for that particular drawing based on the total number of pages in the Layout Page Table.  I've never put in a suggestion.    If it could just be a checkbox as you suggest, that would be great.  Thanks!

5 minutes ago, DRyeHD said:

@builtright3, that looks like it should work.  Will they know the background behind it and how it's supposed to work?  Per my requirement, I wanted a macro that would display the total number of pages for that particular drawing based on the total number of pages in the Layout Page Table.  I've never put in a suggestion.    If it could just be a checkbox as you suggest, that would be great.  Thanks!

Add your request to the same suggestion thread

2 hours ago, builtright3 said:

I guess this is what we need from Chief to add

image.thumb.png.84e12be2f5411b450ea11034cf306007.png

I'm not so sure this would address the issue being discussed.  We can already control which pages get printed in the Print dialog and as has already been mentioned we can also exclude pages by setting to Use as Page Template.  What I think we really need is a Make Page Inactive checkbox that essentially just causes Chief to ignore the page entirely without breaking its link to the proper Template.  Ideally this would be available on Right Click from the Project Browser as well. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

I'm not so sure this would address the issue being discussed.  We can already control which pages get printed in the Print dialog and as has already been mentioned we can also exclude pages by setting to Use as Page Template.  What I think we really need is a Make Page Inactive checkbox that essentially just causes Chief to ignore the page entirely without breaking its link to the proper Template.  Ideally this would be available on Right Click from the Project Browser as well. 

I'm basically saying the same thing but the way you say it may a better way to say it.
Thank You

There are many ways to accomplish the same thing.  I've spent some time today creating CAD Details for each of my notes (labeling the CAD Detail according to what page it goes on) and deleting information off my pages (1-14).  As @Alaskan_Son mentioned earlier, when you do this, the %numpages% is correct.  It probably depends on how the CA programers (or experts) have decided it should work.

I think this might be the best approach I've heard so far during this discussion:

44 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

1 hour ago, builtright3 said:

Add your request to the same suggestion thread

@builtright3, will do.

Actually, there should be a separate “Publishing Set” in the project browser. 

You would drag the pages you want to print into a Publishing Set, give it a name like “Engineers Copy” and print that set. 

This way you can have multiple sets going out to different people that all pull from you Layout Set and be updated live as you make changes. 
Then you could batch print different sets at the same time. Example, Engineer Sets, Client Set, City Set. 

(I stole this from another software which I will not mention because it annoys people]

• Upvote 3

I like this idea. only one template to keep up to date. And one could prebuild the sets. I often throw camera images on the layout just for the client to see. the city doesnt care, so today I put the images at the back so I can more easily control the printing.

It would also be nice if CA remembered the last print range

• Upvote 2

16 hours ago, Michael_Gia said:

Actually, there should be a separate “Publishing Set” in the project browser. 

You would drag the pages you want to print into a Publishing Set, give it a name like “Engineers Copy” and print that set. 

This way you can have multiple sets going out to different people that all pull from you Layout Set and be updated live as you make changes. 
Then you could batch print different sets at the same time. Example, Engineer Sets, Client Set, City Set. 

(I stole this from another software which I will not mention because it annoys people]

I like it but how would you handle call-out and other page references?

15 hours ago, SH_Canada said:

It would also be nice if CA remembered the last print range

It's weird. In my experience, Chief will remember the last used print range... for a few weeks or months. Then, for a few weeks/months it will forget it and default to only the current page. Then after a few weeks or months it reverts. I change nothing. Lol

interesting, I have a plan where when I go to print shows pages 1-10, 12-14 or something like that. I typically will print 1-8, so I type in 1-8. but the next time I print it still shows 1-10, 12-14 in the pages to print

seems to be the case even if the print range is 1-10, and I only print say page 1-5, the next time it is 1-10

4 hours ago, Chrisb222 said:

like it but how would you handle call-out and other page references?

Not a software engineer, but I assume the relationship between a Layout File and a Publishing Set would be a two-way street, where the layout file sends the most current and up to date sheet to the publishing set and the publishing set sends back info as to what page those sheets are on.

end loop?…haha. 
There, I just wrote the sub program.