Multi-Ply Beams

ACVNarch

Its typical in my designs to specify multi-ply beams, for instance a (3) 1-3/4" * 11 7/8" LVL for a mid-span floor beam, (2) 2X6 for a window header. 

Chief has functionality in the window & door header DBX's to specify the "count", but then it doesn't show up quite right in the framing schedule:  The Quantity column shows the overall quantity of framing members, rather than the number of 'sets'... 

In the attached example, the framing schedule should say qty: (4) "T01" headers, then define a "T01" header as a (2) 2x6. The attached example further illustrates the problem with the way that OOTB Chief calculates framing members: one of those windows has (3) 2x6's - That should show up as something besides a "T01". 

Similarly, I want the roof beam to be a (3) 1-3/4" x 11-7/8" - Right now, it shows as three separate "T02" members, but in reality the members are bolted together into one beam, so I want it to show in the schedule as Qty: 1 "T02", where a "T02" is a (3) 1-3/4" x 11-7/8" LVL. 

Does anyone have a good workflow to get their framing schedule to reflect what I'm suggesting above? 

Thanks,

Edited by ACVNarch
Forgot attachment / Error code 200 trying to upload attachment

20 minutes ago, ACVNarch said:

That's exactly what I was looking for! 

Thank you! 

For a little experiment, try this in your beam label (Note: UNCHECK "Use Default Formatting"), then try changing the width from 3.5 to 5.25.

(%width/1.75%)-1 3/4"x%depth%" %type_name% %name%

• Upvote 2

Thanks Rob, That definitely worked and I'll keep it in my back pocket.

That said, I still have a lot to learn (in general and) about macros.

...Which socratically leads me to a question: Could a macro pick up the "count" for door & window headers?  

Thank you both!

15 hours ago, ACVNarch said:

Could a macro pick up the "count" for door & window headers?

Yes, however keep in mind that the headers need to be displayed in plan view along with their labels. In the example below, I have the window label to the exterior and the header label to the interior. The header label below uses macros, plus the brackets, the dash, and the letters HDR.

image.thumb.png.444f008b455f2a4877937c3e8c9e734d.png

1 hour ago, robdyck said:

Yes, however keep in mind that the headers need to be displayed in plan view along with their labels. In the example below, I have the window label to the exterior and the header label to the interior. The header label below uses macros, plus the brackets, the dash, and the letters HDR.

image.thumb.png.444f008b455f2a4877937c3e8c9e734d.png

Robert a question here.  I do the same with my headers using macros as well as my beams.  I am assuming you have manually suppressed one of the header labels here correct?

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, robdyck said:

No, everything in that particular plan is automatic, with headers calculated by width.

So how do you get in this case the double header to show only one label as the default for the macro should be applied to both and they should both be showing the label of (2) 2x8-Hdr???

1 minute ago, rgardner said:

So how do you get in this case the double header to show only one label as the default for the macro should be applied to both and they should both be showing the label of (2) 2x8-Hdr???

From Help:

By default, only one header for a given opening displays a label while the other(s) are suppressed.

Ryan,

I think the answer you're looking for is in the Schedule Specification DBX: Uncheck "Use Callout for Label" in the "Labels" category.  

EDIT: Oh, wait, I think I see Ryan's issue. I have a bunch of windows already in my project and I need to select all of them to update their macro: I need to make sure to select: Suppress Label: False in the Match Properties DBX... 

HTH

33 minutes ago, robdyck said:

From Help:

By default, only one header for a given opening displays a label while the other(s) are suppressed.

You are totally correct.  I was thinking of beams when placed in pairs instead of using your method.  Brain fart on those already being suppressed.

On 1/25/2022 at 4:57 PM, robdyck said:

For a little experiment, try this in your beam label (Note: UNCHECK "Use Default Formatting"), then try changing the width from 3.5 to 5.25.

(%width/1.75%)-1 3/4"x%depth%" %type_name% %name%

BTW just noticed your macro is slightly different than mine (uses the decimal instead of fraction with the standard %depth% macro) and will keep the formatting the same IF that is what you are looking for: 

(%width/1.75%)-1 3/4"x%FormattedDepthSixteenths%" %type_name% %name%

image.thumb.png.dfbda0e77c46b120152f49ab8a84440b.png

• Upvote 1

• 1 year later...
On 1/25/2022 at 2:02 PM, ACVNarch said:

Its typical in my designs to specify multi-ply beams, for instance a (3) 1-3/4" * 11 7/8" LVL for a mid-span floor beam, (2) 2X6 for a window header. 

Chief has functionality in the window & door header DBX's to specify the "count"

1466694197_Framingdialog.thumb.png.9ed7c2ba1a05d08089b2a7f997db33c3.png1548398125_FramingOptionSugguestion.thumb.png.da024b5ad99f1619d906755a0405203f.png

Maybe Chief should just add a similar "count" feature to beams, rafters, posts in the manual framing dialog options for multi-ply framing members similar to the door/window header framing.