Centering Objects

raltd9245

I just was playing with X6 with a simple plan.  I inserted a door and used the centering tool. I then put a double window on each side of the door and attempted them. I X5 they would center on the remaining wall. In X6 they seem to first center on the entire wall right  over the door.  Anybody have an answer.

I X5 they would center on the remaining wall.

I don't have an answer, but how did you get what you're saying to work in X5?  I don't recall that ever happening for me, and it didn't when I tried it out.  I even tried breaking the wall, and it still didn't work.

Ron

I don't remember X5 or any other prior version working the way you are suggesting.  If you had an interior wall intersecting a wall you are placing a door or window in, you can center the window or door in that wall segment using the centering tool "IF" there is a room defined.  If there is not room, even with a perpedicular (or maybe some other angle) wall joining the wall, the centering tool doesn't work.  To the best of my knowledge, that is the way it has always worked.

I really like the centering tool, and it's a good one to 'wow' the customer with, but there are times when it just doesn't find what I think it should center on.  I agree that is should, and could, but it already does me enough good that I'm going to try not to complain :) 

• 3 months later...

I have tried unsuccessfully to use the centering tool to center a toilet on a half bath wall.  Is the tool broke.  All that shows up when I attempt to use it is a sort of dashed line that overlays the wall I want the toilet to be perpendicular to.  That is the way the center tool lines used to show up as ... now they don't.  Is anyone else having this problem?  This is the only thread I could find in doing a search on this tool.

The centering tool is pretty handy, but...........

When I need to center a beam or CAD line over a wall, I am looking for the center of the main layer (usually the framing member), not the center of the overall width of the wall.

Unless the wall is symmetrical about the main layer, I NEVER want to center a beam or CAD line on the overall width of the wall......NEVER!!

Here's an image of the situation I am talking about.  For both the half-bath (right) and the toilet room (left), both rooms are closed with room definition.  If I select the toilet in either room, and then select the wall to center the toilet on, I get a fuzzy dashed heavy line down the middle of the wall instead of a vertical line like I attempted to show in red, which is the way the centering tool has always worked for me in previous versions.  I would like that functionality back and I can't think of any reason why they would have changed that.

post-191-0-77722800-1403106546_thumb.jpg

I am really liking the ease of posting images on the new forum.  Seems much better (quicker) compared to the old method.

I think Taylor at Tech Support just helped me to resolve my issue (edit:  he did).  What was happening to me when checking each of those baths to make sure I had room definition was that the exterior room was being selected (which basically showed as a big gray multi-cornered box in the shape of the plan) instead of just the bath.  If I hit tab, I would get the baths to highlight as I would expect to get on the first selection click.  Taylor suggested that I check my exterior walls for a bad connection so I did.  The plan includes a couple of 45° wall segments of which I cleaned up the appearance of with the new wall layers corner connection tool.  Even though I was getting room definition for the first angled wall I checked, the connection was still a little funky as evidenced by a bit of white showing with one of the layers.  I used that new tool to see if I couldn't get rid of that white area (my layer fill was "filled in") and was able to.  I then tried clicking in the plan and now I can get all rooms to highlight the first click.  I then checked the centering tool for those two baths and now it works.  Somehow that funky exterior wall connection was affecting the way the centering tool worked.  I am happy now .... THANKS Taylor.

For a situation like that you want to center on a room edge, not the wall. To play with how this works draw a simple plan and play with centering a cabinet on various things.

On a wall you can pick up the center line along the length of the wall or if you are sufficiently close to the middle of the wall you can get a center line there as well. But that may not be the center you want. Usually you want the center along the edge of a room, so moving closer to the room you want to center on or slightly inside of it will produce the result you want.

This works more or less the same for all objects. Generally there are 2 centering axes on an object, but for others, such as box like objects or polylines you can also center on the edges.

It can seem a bit confusing in a busy plan as there are often many different things that can compete for providing a center line. But if you practice and observe the results on simple things you can get a better idea of how it works.

Obviously, your case was an odd case based on having a bad room definition that leaked into the area you wanted to use. In most cases the filled area of the object providing the center line will be highlighted.

Regular elevations create cross section lines where the section is cut that can be snapped to.

Wall elevations don't do this so there are no snaps unless you manually add some cad lines for that purpose.

Dimensions don't use snap points to decide what to dimension to, although it seems somewhat logical that if you can dimension to something you should be able to snap to it and if you can snap to something you should be able to dimension to it.

Regular elevations create cross section lines where the section is cut that can be snapped to.

Wall elevations don't do this so there are no snaps unless you manually add some cad lines for that purpose.

That's a real bummer - adding a callout/label with the View Name would be much easier if we could snap to at least the lower left corner of the Wall Elevations.