X13 doesn't allow multiple character HOTKEYS

gravattedesign

I have an Issue with Chief Arch X13 not allowing multiple character hotkeys due to conflicts with the first two For Example: Line=L  and Align Left=L,A will not be allowed unless Align Left replaces Line command. I had to assign "A,L" as hot key to get around. This happens across the board with any hotkeys I wish to assign 3-4 characters AND there is a conflict with a single or double character hotkey.

Thank you for any assistance.

22-0120-CHIEF ISSUES-X13-HOTKEYS-image1.jpg

5 hours ago, solver said:

Please update your signature by clicking on your user name at the top right of the page, click Account Settings, then Signature on the left.

Thanks

Thank you for the heads up. My Signature is active and updated. Not sure why it isn't displaying with posts when I'm logged in.

1 hour ago, glennw said:

Renee,

When you say "combination keys only", do you mean simultaneous or sequential?

Simultaneous. It opens the doors to all of the sequential and simul combinations without writing over combos that are crucial for teaching beginners

Years ago I used a customized program in AutoCAD that allowed for up to 3 characters and required a delimiter to execute the program.  That meant you had to enter however many keystrokes you wanted followed by either hitting the enter key or the spacebar.

The spacebar is easy to use since it only requires you to hit it with your thumb, cinch-a-reno, But Chief insists on not requiring that extra keystroke.  I can see that in a way, but IMHO it actually makes using the hot keys harder.  Sometimes I want to use a short sequence and sometimes I want a longer sequence, but only when it makes sense to me to type the extra keys, not every time.

I for one wish Chief would reconsider their approach to using the hot keys and allow for a spacebar or enter keystroke to execute the command.

37 minutes ago, RodCole said:

I for one wish Chief would reconsider their approach to using the hot keys and allow for a spacebar or enter keystroke to execute the command.

Chief, please don't do this, or at least make it an option.

I really don't want to hit the spacebar to get a shortcut to work.

14 minutes ago, kylejmarsh said:

've never been able to get sequential hotkeys to work. I'm on Mac so maybe that has something to do with it. Mine are all key or  modifier+key

Kyle,

The mac shouldn't make a difference.

What do you mean by "all key".

How are you entering the sequential shortcuts - what happens?

14 hours ago, RodCole said:

Years ago I used a customized program in AutoCAD that allowed for up to 3 characters and required a delimiter to execute the program.  That meant you had to enter however many keystrokes you wanted followed by either hitting the enter key or the spacebar.

The spacebar is easy to use since it only requires you to hit it with your thumb, cinch-a-reno, But Chief insists on not requiring that extra keystroke.  I can see that in a way, but IMHO it actually makes using the hot keys harder.  Sometimes I want to use a short sequence and sometimes I want a longer sequence, but only when it makes sense to me to type the extra keys, not every time.

It looks to me like this is already possible. Binding "Straight Exterior Wall" to "W, Space" and "Curved Exterior Wall" to "W, C, Space" works as I'd expect it to on my machine.

Of course, this requires manually customizing your hotkeys.

7 hours ago, joey_martin said:

I use "L" for lights when doing electrical plans and SHIFT + L for the line tool. I don't have an issue. I also use W+E for exterior walls and W+I for interior walls. Again, No issues. Did I get lucky?

Joey,

It looks like you are using both sequential and simultaneous shortcuts.

L, is sequential (even though it is a single key).

SHIFT+L is simultaneous

W,E and W,I are sequential

That is all quite normal and expected behaviour.

Try assigning the single key W to a shortcut and see what happens.

Try assigning L,I to a shortcut (say, DRAW LINE, and see what happens). 

Just as a heads up...

You can use a combination of both sequential and simultaneous key presses for shortcuts - but that would mean that the shortcuts are pretty hard to remember and execute and I can't see this being practical.

But then, I can't see the benefit of using any Simultaneous shortcuts. 

eg:  L,⇧I,2