Electrical Load Calculations

builtright3

Without having a complete list of all equipment (with loads) as well as the number and amperage of circuits this wouldn't be possible.  It could be done - but only with customized electrical symbols, etc.

I find it's easier to let the Electrician or Electrical Engineer work it out. For most residential projects I just specify the appropriate panel size.

Glad to hear you're doing well Joe!

A 'simple' way would be to complete your electrical plan, then create an electrical schedule, then copy that schedule into a spreadsheet and assign values to each items.

You could of course assign values to each item in Chief, but I'm not sure it would be faster. That being said, it could be worth doing if you're interested in creating your own library of electrical items and reuse them. 

To accomplish this you could use the OIP or Components. 

54 minutes ago, robdyck said:

Glad to hear you're doing well Joe!

A 'simple' way would be to complete your electrical plan, then create an electrical schedule, then copy that schedule into a spreadsheet and assign values to each items.

You could of course assign values to each item in Chief, but I'm not sure it would be faster. That being said, it could be worth doing if you're interested in creating your own library of electrical items and reuse them. 

To accomplish this you could use the OIP or Components. 

I have a spread sheet that I built and use to put in all the necessary information. I think you may be on to something by creating the electrical schedule and then transferring to a spread sheet. I will try that. Most of these detached ADU's are asking for it now so I thought maybe I could come up with something a little easier.

Thank You!

1 hour ago, Joe_Carrick said:

Without having a complete list of all equipment (with loads) as well as the number and amperage of circuits this wouldn't be possible.  It could be done - but only with customized electrical symbols, etc.

I find it's easier to let the Electrician or Electrical Engineer work it out. For most residential projects I just specify the appropriate panel size.

I do most all my electrical in house. I was just trying to make it a little easier.
Thank you Joe

24 minutes ago, builtright3 said:

I have a spread sheet that I built and use to put in all the necessary information. I think you may be on to something by creating the electrical schedule and then transferring to a spread sheet. I will try that. Most of these detached ADU's are asking for it now so I thought maybe I could come up with something a little easier.

Thank You!

It can be especially simple if you make an electrical schedule including only the columns "description" and "quantity". Then a couple of simple formulas, and a bit of copy/paste.

I've done one, uses custom fields and symbols. It also creates a panel schedule. I add a custom field for circuit, and that circuit can have an amp value which can report to a load macro. The a schedule that is split at side 1 and 2 and organized by macros called zone
the end results in a schecule that looks like a panel label and the load is stores in a global macro that can be put on a separate sheet. 

Its a bit of work to wrap your head around but works really well once youve got it put together

• 5 months later...
On 1/19/2022 at 5:52 PM, Renerabbitt said:

I've done one, uses custom fields and symbols. It also creates a panel schedule. I add a custom field for circuit, and that circuit can have an amp value which can report to a load macro. The a schedule that is split at side 1 and 2 and organized by macros called zone
the end results in a schecule that looks like a panel label and the load is stores in a global macro that can be put on a separate sheet. 

Its a bit of work to wrap your head around but works really well once youve got it put together

Good morning Rene. Out of curiosity, how advanced is this custom schedule? and do you have it for sale by chance?

Cheers

7 minutes ago, 10eighty said:

Good morning Rene. Out of curiosity, how advanced is this custom schedule? and do you have it for sale by chance?

Cheers

Honestly I would have to rebuild it, I can't recall what plan I did it for and I did not save the system unfortunately. The load calc part is complicated, the panel label schedule is less complicated.

11 minutes ago, Renerabbitt said:

Honestly I would have to rebuild it, I can't recall what plan I did it for and I did not save the system unfortunately. The load calc part is complicated, the panel label schedule is less complicated.

I can imagine... I don't have to do them often, but load calcs keep coming up. I've been just doing a basic schedule with simple spreadsheet for the circuits. Thought i'd poke around and see what you studs have been doing.  Hope you are well buddy.

48 minutes ago, 10eighty said:

I can imagine... I don't have to do them often, but load calcs keep coming up. I've been just doing a basic schedule with simple spreadsheet for the circuits. Thought i'd poke around and see what you studs have been doing.  Hope you are well buddy.

Can you post an example of your calcs?