Strategies for multiple elevations/structural options

PDXChief

Good morning,

I am a design manager for a midsize home builder here in the PNW. We are currently exploring options for taking our plan library from 2D CAD to 3D, and I am really interested in Chief. However, since we are a production builder, we have multiple elevations and structural options for each of our plans. Currently we are heavily utilizing dynamic blocks in CAD to accomplish the changes we need for each base plan, but I am hoping there are some strategies we can utilize in Chief to accomplish the same end result, but with 3D objects.

I have spoken with Chief sales reps a couple of times and they always point me here or to the trial. I have played with the program quite a bit, and like what I see, however as a total novice I know I haven't even scratched the surface of the functionality. I have also been pointed to the Reference Display as a possible solution to our options by the sales team, but I have not been able to work with it yet.

Are there other production home builders out there currently using the program, and would you be willing to share your strategies for maintaining multiple elevations or options within Chief? If what we are looking for just isn't in the program, I would love to know that too, so I can move forward in my search.

Thanks!

Since the Elevations and Structural Options are unique you would need to essentially use  separate Plan Files.  This can be done within a "Folder System" where the main folder is the specific Plan and the sub folders are the separate designs.  

The easiest way to set this up is to start with one design and then copy it to the (named) sub folders.  Then make the appropriate modifications to each Plan.  Here's an example of the folder system:

1. Plan #1 (main folder for Plan - can have specs and general information)
  • Elevation Design A (Contains the entire model for Design A)
  • Elevation Design B (Contains the entire model for Design B)
  • Elevation Design C (Contains the entire model for Design C)
  1. Plan #2 (main folder for Plan - can have specs and general information)
  • Elevation Design A (Contains the entire model for Design A)
  • Elevation Design B (Contains the entire model for Design B)
  • Elevation Design C (Contains the entire model for Design C)

etc.

I would create the model (plan & layout) for Plan 1 - Design A

Then I'd open the layout and plan and save them to the Plan 1- Design B & Plan 1 - Design C sub-folders.

Then when you make changes to the models in those sub-folders they will be separate but based on the same floor plan.

Details can be stored in separate plan files or in the user library.  How you do this is up to you.

One thing that can help is the use of "Style Palettes".  This allows a collection of object definitions to be used to quickly modify a single plan.  However, this is currently limited to the following:

• Doors (exterior, interior, garage, etc style and materials)
  • Windows (style and materials)
  • Cabinets (style and materials)
  • Rooms (structure, moldings, materials)

Naturally, this can only change the appearance of the individual objects listed above.  It can't change the shape of the structure itself.  That's controlled by the individual plan - elevation design.  IOW, if you want a different roof configuration or additional decks, balconies, etc you will need to take the approach I mentioned in my previous post.

Thanks for the advice so far guys. Joe, for the method you first mentioned, I am assuming that the "base plan" (areas not effected per elevation) will not be linked back to the main sub folder? So if we made a change, say moving a light, in the main file, we would need to do that through all of the base folders?

How is copy and paste in Chief? If we drew a base house with no elevation walls and then each elevation as a separate file, is Chief friendly enough to copy the elements from the elevation to the base file when we need it?

Another newbie question, is there a way to quickly mirror a project in the program? If a base plan was drawn garage left, but we needed garage right for a specific lot, is there a tool to do that? Currently we are maintaining a left and right CAD file for each plan and its making me pull my hair out.

1 hour ago, PDXChief said:

I am assuming that the "base plan" (areas not effected per elevation) will not be linked back to the main sub folder? So if we made a change, say moving a light, in the main file, we would need to do that through all of the base folders?

Each sub-folder would be a separate 3D Model (Plans, Elevations, Sections, Schedules, CAD Details).  However, I use a separate set of Detail Plans that have all the details I use.  These can be sent to the Layout Files as needed.  Whenever you modify one of those details, it will be updated in all Layouts where it was used.

IAE, any changes (such as adding a light) made in one sub-folder would need to be made in all.

1 hour ago, PDXChief said:
  • If we drew a base house with no elevation walls and then each elevation as a separate file

This can't (or at least not normally) do that in Chief.  The Elevations, Sections, Foundation & Framing Plans are a part of the 3D Model and are essentially created automatically.

It is however, possible to create a CAD Detail from View and save those CAD Details.  For example:

• Create your Plan with a Hip Style Roof.
  • Create the Elevation Views
  • Create CAD Details of the Elevations (CAD Detail from View tool)

then change some walls to be "Gable"

• Create the Elevation Views
  • Create CAD Details of the Elevations (CAD Detail from View tool)

You now have 2 sets of Elevations based on the same plan.  Those CAD Detail Elevations can be sent to the Layout File(s).  Just be aware that there may be other differences that you might want such as door and window locations, structural framing, etc.  In those cases it's better to have separate Plans that accurately reflect the entire structure. 

Most views in Chief are automatically updated when a change is made to the model.  That's really a good thing since it keeps the Condocs synchronized.  The plan file and the layout file are normally (and should be) in the same folder.

Just remember that in Chief we are essentially building the 3D model with everything in it.  If the layout and plan templates are predefined correctly the Condocs are just about automatic.  3D modeling of a structure is nothing like 2D CAD where no view is connected to the plan itself.

I hope this helps.

i do a fair amount of manufactured home work, where the outside dims are only ever 4 different dimensions, but the inside wall, and elevations get moved around. I'll have 4 versions of close to the same thing. I simply copy the plan and layout to another directory, rename. open up the layout, change the reference file, then make the changes to the plan. The layout rarely changes(typically the kitchen elevations have to be redone if they are on a different wall). As joe said the elevations are automatic once you change walls, roof lines. Its a bit of a pain remembering things to check, but for the little actual  time it takes it is hard to complain. To be honest I spend a fair amount of relative time(i.e. doing the structural modifications and resulting elevations are quick) saving to pdf, viewing, noticing I missed something and then going back and redoing. It's little stuff like the deck piles are too high above the ground, or I want to shift the window to look better under the gable. But I have significantly reduced my time since I started by getting the template file, default sets, and layer sets setup as I like. I do loathe doing electrical, constantly putting the two switches, fan in the bathroom...

You can copy groups of things from plan to plan. I've done it with rooms, so you might be able to do it with electrical

Be wary of the "save as" for plans. My experience is the layout tries to follow along and use the new filename. So I close CA, then do the copy noted above of both plan and layout to avoid this

In Chief one does not "draw" elevations.  The user "builds" the house in 3D, and the program generates elevation views.  "Generates" is the key word.

If you have never used a package like this, and have always drawn in 2D, you are going to have to dive into Chief 3D yourself, and experience it.

I live in a production-built house, in an area of many gated communities like mine, all of them full of production-built houses from names like Lennar, Pulte, Toll Brothers, Taylor Morrison, and D.R. Horton.  Every different model seen in all these communities is or was offered in multiple elevations.  From what I have seen, the differences in elevations are always a result of roofs and trim and siding features, plus windows.

I have a set of the plans used by the builder for my house, and I know they are a product of 2D AutoCad because I have spoken to the drafting firm that did them.  I used them to create a Chief plan of my house.  My neighbor, across the street, with same plan as mine but different elevation, is building a garage bay addition from the remodel plan I did for him.  It took me less than 30 minutes to change my plan to his plan, a third of the time changing the roof (his has more gables), a third redoing the faux stone cladding to match his, the rest changing some windows and the shutter treatments.

From that point, I had an as-built of his, and added the new garage bay.

But what I now have is two plan files, each of which generates the elevations unique to the plan.  In Chief, you don't "draw" elevations.  Chief "generates" them, and all you do is annotate the elevations.

21 hours ago, Michael_Gia said:

Here is what the reference display approach, the sales rep was probably referring to…

(not sure this is enough for what you’re looking for, though)

Wow.  How did I miss this powerful reference tool??!!  I'd created so many work-arounds for showing the remodel views with the existing construction and there was now a tool inside CA that did that same thing!  Thanks so much Michael

3D Ext View 1a Clay.jpg

Old&New.jpg

• Upvote 1

Hello PDX,

My name is Derek, and I work in the Chief Architect Sales Department.  I would be happy to answer any questions you may have.  I can also create an online meeting where I can share my screen and provide a live demonstration of Chief Architect.  I have sent you an email message with my contact information.

Kind regards,

Derek Pedersen

Chief Architect Sales