Origin Error Message- What is it Good For?

Archnot-Boltz

Absolutely Nothing, Right On!!

I've been getting the attached message but it doesn't tell me where to look or show me where the issue is. What's the point? Common, if it's telling me the object is too far from the origin, then it knows what the object is and where said object is, right? Is this programmer sense of humor 101? Yuk, Yuk!:blink:

Suggestion:    All messages of this ilk should tell me where the problem is occurring. (ok it does tell, me- "it is too far from the origin"-Mike Drop!!)

thanks,

BB

Objects are too Far from the Origin.jpg

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

I don't get it. The message gives me the option to delete the object in question but I have no idea what I'm deleting. Am I being silly here? Two Down Votes to One Upvote. I don't mind the down votes but similar to the Warning that I'm inquiring about, the Down Votes give me an equal amount of No Insight! 

31 minutes ago, Archnot-Boltz said:

I don't get it. The message gives me the option to delete the object in question but I have no idea what I'm deleting.

I agree deleting an unknown entity is a fairly desperate option.  What happens when you select " Move" ?   I agree "Find in Plan" would be a much better option here.

2 all now.

6 hours ago, joey_martin said:

While I agree it should give more insight, did you select to move the item and then enter the absolute coordinates of 0,0 so that it would move it into the field of view? And if so, was the item highlighted (selected) when it arrived at 0,0?

I don't know Joey, I'm afraid to move it. I will do a Save As and try both Delete and Move to 0/0 and let y'all know what transpires.-thanks BB

You might want to have a look at this tech article:

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-03124/troubleshooting-origin-error-messages.html

This message is only there to let people know that they have either drawn or moved something so far away from the origin that it is likely to cause problems that would otherwise be hard to figure out.  We assumed that most people would either know what they did wrong or be able to find it for themselves.  We provided the options to delete it or move it to the origin for those people that were not able to figure it out on their own.  We also provided the Check Knowledge Base button for those people that had more questions.

If you think either the error message or the tech article can be improved, then you should probably make a suggestion.  You should probably leave the snarky comments out though because they probably won't help you get much support.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2