Deck ledger to hang on foundation wall

RJBPILOT

I have a deck that I need the ledger to hang off of the foundation wall.  When the deck (invisible railing) is drawn it combines itself with he stem wall.  Is there an easy way to fix this?  I can manually manipulate the framing, but the deck planks are a pain to get right.  Then I have to fill in the part of the stem wall that disappears with the slab or poly line solid when the framing is pulled out to the outside to make it look right.  

Screen Shot 2022-01-12 at 8.26.56 AM.png

5 hours ago, robdyck said:

My quickest suggestions:

• build foundation
  • foundation walls > balloon through ceiling
  • change deck room type to balcony. Edit floor structure layers using a plank-type material for the sheathing.

That works for the deck, but results in a very strange floor platform for the rooms inside.

Using ballooning walls results in some unfortunate side effects on the inside of the building. 

1604843280_FoundationBalloonupplan.thumb.jpg.408fd0da063d701ea0485ba2df0dbffc.jpg

On 1/12/2022 at 6:14 PM, RJBPILOT said:

It worked perfectly.  Thanks. How did you figure that out?  Just tinkering around for awhile?  

Screen Shot 2022-01-12 at 6.10.22 PM.png

Note that in your posted picture the inside floor terminates before the foundation wall.

Foundation Balloon up plan.jpg

When you need certain rooms to frame against other rooms, I usually find that changing the framing groups in the rooms DBX to 2 or 3 while usually result in what you're asking.

From the Help:

Framing Groups

When floor or ceiling framing is automatically generated, the program tries to create a single platform that spans as much of the structure as possible. If you need separate floor and ceiling framing in an area of your plan, as you might for an addition to an existing structure, assign the rooms in that area to a non-default Framing Group.

The program treats different Framing Groups as though they were built at different times. Wall framing builds through and divides the floor framing in different Groups, while ceiling framing butts against a ledger attached to the ceiling framing of an adjacent Group.

Framing Groups are assigned using numbers. The Default Framing Group is 1, which is built “first”. Each subsequently numbered group is framed as though it were added to the structure later.

Although Framing Groups affect how both floor and ceiling framing is generated, the Build Framing for Selected Object(s) ../../Resources/img/btn/BuildFramingForSelected.png edit tool only builds floor framing. See Build Framing for Selected Object(s).

Framing groups doesn't help with this problem unless you frame the interior floor, then change the "ballooning" attribute for the rear wall, then frame the deck, and make sure that you don't have automatic floor framing turned on at any time or command the floor framing to be rebuilt.