3/16"=1'-0"

winterdd

How many of you have ventured off into this scale to avoid having to rotate the floorplan and got read the riot act? Yes, I know it goes way back to keep floorplans at 1/4" but more than half the homes I do are too big to fit on 24x36. Just curious, not a big deal really but If you can pull out a scale and read 1/4"=1'-0" why not 3/16"? It's on their for some reason right haha......

It just does not work out well with a regular ruler or measuring tape.  I have used it the odd time for an irrelevant overview but not for working drawings if there is any way to avoid it.  You my want to consider Arch E 36 x 48" for some of your larger projects.

I'm using 3/16" on a residential remodel project right now, but only for preliminary design.  Same reason to use it - for best fit on a page, also same reasons as above to avoid it if possible.  I always include a visual scale on the page as an extra help when I'm using it, in case someone scales it up or down and prints it out.

10 minutes ago, ChiefUserBigRob said:

36x48 is a good option until the wind starts blowing it around on the site lol.

Very true.  I squeeze my projects on to 11 x 17" as often as I can for that very reason and the ability to flip pages in the cab of the work truck also.  On a big expensive project you could almost throw in a free ipad to view digital PDF's rather than having to keep reprinting full sets of working drawings that get destroyed in the initial stages of construction.  Anything to keep the drawings accessible and in use, rather than just going with what they know or don't know and making mistakes that can't be undone.

9 hours ago, Chopsaw said:

It just does not work out well with a regular ruler or measuring tape.

That should never be a consideration. Trusting someone with a measuring tape on a job site is asking to get sued. My plans contain a note that states printed dimensions override anyone's tape measure.

3/16" is an acceptable scale for residential plans. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

I've used a custom sheet size.  Normally I use 24"x36" (Arch D) but when the house is just a little too long:

• 24"x42" works. (Arch D2) custom size that I can print on my HP T120
  • 30"x42" if the 24" isn't enough. (Arch E1)
  • 36"x48" (Arch E) when absolutely necessary.

It's not that hard to create custom sheet sizes and the print shops really don't care.

1 hour ago, joey_martin said:

That should never be a consideration. Trusting someone with a measuring tape on a job site is asking to get sued. My plans contain a note that states printed dimensions override anyone's tape measure.

3/16" is an acceptable scale for residential plans. 

This…I am a relative newcomer, 2 years with a Chief product, I have been drawing buildings of all sorts for a long time…I have placed prominently displayed “ do not scale plan” notes from the beginning…as a Project Manager who rose through the trades, I learned early as a mason to not try to scale the plan.

As others have mentioned, I use  3/16” scale often to fit in 11 x 17 paper …larger designs get 1/8” scale…but the “ do not scale” note always appears on the page

Regards

Rick

1 hour ago, ricatic said:

... I learned early as a mason to not try to scale the plan.

One of the first things I learned when building, and I always wondered the actual purpose of any scale other than to show relative distances/volumes etc. between objects/buildings but it's become a standard part of drawing for so long it's not going anywhere soon. If there's no dimension then a call to the architect/designed is needed, not a ruler/tape to scale the dimension.

I agree with the others just increasing sheet size to Arch E1.  It's still manageable on a job site (especially with binder strips) and can hold some pretty large houses.  The 36x48 sheets are clownishly large (though I have printed those off for clients before).  If you print in-house, its well worth picking up a 30" roll, mine has lasted for years, but paper doesn't go bad.

36 minutes ago, ACADuser said:

Add a 3/16 scale along the border so the user doesn't need a rule to measure.

ACADuser

That is a great idea...How is this accomplished...but I would still post the "do not scale" note

Regards

Rick

10 hours ago, Alchemyjim said:

I have worked in many jurisdictions where 3/16" scale is forbidden. 1/4" or 1/8" for floor plans. That's it. 

Best to check with the AHJ first.

Why are plan reviewers scaling plans anyway…the scale has nothing to do with code compliance or zoning…if they need a dimension, I should have provided it…But, if confronted with that sort of silliness, I would give them what they want…1/8” scale…

Regards

Rick