Imac Vs Mac Pro

simonas

Upgrading to more powerful Mac.

Just wondering if anyone is using iMac or Mac Pro and which one is more suitable for Chief, I'm not IT guy, don't know much about cores and so on... so need help from you who knows it all.

Just read that someone bought brand new table pc and were not happy with performance so want to check with you guys it it works well with Chief.

Thanks in advance!

Ive used both in the past and found the iMacs (top config versions) to be wholly sufficient.  The small increase in performance the Mac Pro gave me didn't seem worthwhile for a 3x price diff.  I do think there are some software apps which make the dual GPU more appreciated, and its highly dependent on the type of jobs you do.  

If you are doing full city blocks or mammoth commercial projects I do think the performance increase by % terms could add up to be worthwhile spending the extra money.   If you are doing single family homes I just dont see a compelling reason to need more than a top end iMac.  In fact, I found the mobility of the iMac very helpful when meeting with clients....as I would bring the whole system with me for presentations.

http://casecruzer.com/apple-imac27/index.html

Now-a-days I use a Lenovo 27" tablet for my presentations with touchscreen (i7 and NVidia card).  Whereas I like the touchscreen of the Lenovo, and the fact it has a battery so if I am at Starbucks or something I dont need to plug-in, I greatly preferred the iMac performance.  

Ive used both in the past and found the iMacs (top config versions) to be wholly sufficient.  The small increase in performance the Mac Pro gave me didn't seem worthwhile for a 3x price diff.

Based on the feedback I have received from CA,  I would agree with this.

Based on the feedback I have received from CA,  I would agree with this.

Same here. My plan was to save and get a Mac Pro last year, but I ended up getting an iMac (upgraded everything I could on it) and I'm quite happy with the performance. Also happy I saved a bunch of money!