Jobs Using Chief?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thanks for the encouragement, everyone here has been very helpful.

Well as you may know plain Autocad is just CAD and that is FAR superior to CA in that area. One would think that after the many years CA has been around they would have improved there CAD environment.

Tony:   Yes   and Yes     It is very stressful!   It is a lot like acting.....if your good at he cad and being able to articluate what the drawing says under pressure you will be HOT property.  I have worked with a lot of architects and engineers that were much smarter than me that just crumbled under pressure from the other side.  It takes a certian personality to handle the crap.   Money????  You would fall out of your chair if you knew about the pay.

It just occured to me..........you know how CA has these competitions on additions, decks that the users vote on the best.  Why not use the crime scene library in one competition too see the best crime scene!  I bet they would have hundreds of entries and it would be good entertainment.

• 1 month later...

ok, guys, I've got a question related to jobs. My business didnt take off like I dreamed it would and I got a job drafting for a very successful custom plan firm in the area. They told me they dont allow for their employees to have side jobs doing the same kind of work. They dont care if I still build stuff, but they dont want me drafting as it would be seen as direct competition and they have a rule about it. So what do I do, just sell CA and call it quits? I accepted the job because its a great opportunity to learn and grow with a business that does exactly what I wanted my own business to do. But I wanted to be able to do jobs on the side for extra money and to stay up to date on chief. They use Softplan unfortunately. What would you guys do? I agreed to not take on side jobs and I'm not the type to go behind peoples backs. I made a few contacts and I know I will get a few calls in the spring for plan work. I just hate the idea of giving up everything I started because I dont have the revenue coming in. I know it can be there and just takes time, just dont have the time right now. I'm excited to join the new place, but I really don't want to let go of my own stuff too. Any advice is appreciated.

As someone who has been self-employed most of my

life let me say that there is a lot to be said for working

for someone else. While the allure of being your own

boss can be strong, it's not a bad thing to let someone

else deal with all the liabilities and worries that accompany

running any business.

If money is tight and the offer is a good one with decent

benefits I would take the job. No one can stop you from

honing your Chief skills on your own time and maybe

down the road you can have a go at doing it yourself

again.

Yeah, I've tried to weigh the pros and cons. I know running your own biz can be time consuming and hectic. I won't miss that part . And I know I can learn a ton from this place and I really am excited to work there. Just bummed I can't use chief on the side for a few side jobs a year. Money is tight so I think this is where the path is turning. Which is ok. Thanks for the advice!

I agree with Rich

unless you have the funds to go it on your own

probably best to take the job and learn, learn, learn

keep Chief and do the same projects at home for practice

when you have learned enough and can afford it then go it alone

meanwhile, do not take side jobs - it wouldn't be ethical

Lew

If you forward them to your boss , you should get a finders fee, at least. You might try drawing plans for your boss at home,for a fee, on your own time to make extra money. Of course ,he will not do it if they are slow, but if he has plans waiting he will agree.  By all means keep chief b/c  I can tell you have the itch. you never know when you will jump into the twilight zone. I did it many years ago. You must have guts, to never know where you next check is coming from. Somehow it worked out for me, but you must be aggressive or you lose. One way is to be less expensive, then you competition, just to get started.  It is a lonely business though, no input from anyone, so know your product well.

Yeah that's a great idea. I was wondering if I'd get some kind of cut for referring people. But I like that idea of doing extra work at home. I'm excited to see where this job leads. If anything it will be a great experience and make me all the better for down the road.

• 3 months later...

Firms that own large tracts of land then build them out are more developers than the builders you're shopping for.  All they want is lunch, their biggest decision of the day and that's the way they like it.  Sometimes an established architect will be invited to design with their team 4-6 house designs for their next development.

Look for subdivisions that sell lots to a variety of builders.  These build spec.houses so they can also capture "presold" custom houses.  The latter is what they need you for and once a foot in their door, they'll want to change up/clone their spec.house designs as their sales dept/Realtor tells them is the new trend.

You are looking to own a business that attracts individuals custom designing their home + one or two builders sending you work, thus you send them your custom in compensation = teamwork and fishing from both sides.

Autocad/Revit  competition falls short of Chief's fast/timely 3D color designs - make that very clear to them and own some size color printer in case some others can't read jpg, PDFs.