Deleted rooms and structures in plan view are still showing up in orthographic views

jmartinnelson

In a sketch I created the garage and back patio are still showing up in the orthographic views despite having deleted them from the floor plan.  More specifically, the garage and patio do not show up in any of the plan views, but they do show up in the orthographic views and I can't figure out how to find them to ensure they are fully deleted.  Hoping someone can help shed light on how to fix this.  Thanks! 

1 hour ago, jmartinnelson said:

In a sketch I created the garage and back patio are still showing up in the orthographic views despite having deleted them from the floor plan.  More specifically, the garage and patio do not show up in any of the plan views, but they do show up in the orthographic views and I can't figure out how to find them to ensure they are fully deleted.  Hoping someone can help shed light on how to fix this.  Thanks! 

Help us help you by posting some pictures (use screen grab and drag the file onto the forum box so it posts directly.)  Also let us know what software you are using in your signature.

Tommy and Ryan, 

Thank you for your replies.  I'm using version X13.  Closing and reopening Chief doesn't fix the problem.  I've never been able to select rooms in Ortho view, only in the plan views.  Guess I'm doing something wrong...  I've attached a pdf of the plans and Word doc screen shot of the ortho view and plan view.  I can't find the garage and patio anywhere on the plan view in order to delete them.  And you'll also notice an elevated wall in the ortho screen shot that I have no idea how it got there and also can't find it in the plan view to delete it.  Thank you both again.

Aubrey v3 3173sf.pdf Ortho screen shot.docx

Try turning on auto foundation and auto roofing. That stray, low roof is probably building over an orphaned foundation and that stray wall looks like an old attic wall. You can probably fix both by going down to the foundation and up to the attic level or the auto settings could also help..

Ain't Larry the smart one.  You still have the garage foundation and the other room.  I went down to level zero and turned off the ROOF OVER THIS ROOM and you can see what you get.'

'

you need to delete the rooms at level zero (or auto build foundations?

1938409434_ScreenShot2022-01-06at7_08_09AM.thumb.png.fb67e3b427a1c8f5ace68a3a3bba344f.png

Scott, thanks for the tip!  I went to the 0 level and deleted the slab footings to get rid of garage and patio slabs.  Still can't figure out how to get rid of that elevated wall in the back!  Also, any idea how to remove the extended wall in the SW corner?  I zoomed in and the walls appear to be aligned perfectly. 

Humble Chief, I went to the A and 0 levels to find the stray wall but no dice. I've selected auto fix on everything but it's still there.  

16 minutes ago, jmartinnelson said:

Scott, thanks for the tip!  I went to the 0 level and deleted the slab footings to get rid of garage and patio slabs.  Still can't figure out how to get rid of that elevated wall in the back!  Also, any idea how to remove the extended wall in the SW corner?  I zoomed in and the walls appear to be aligned perfectly. 

Humble Chief, I went to the A and 0 levels to find the stray wall but no dice. I've selected auto fix on everything but it's still there.  

The foundation wall is not lined up with the wall above.

32 minutes ago, jmartinnelson said:

Turn on layer Walls, Attic when on the attic level, then delete that stray. The layer is not turned on in the plan I'm viewing.

That extended wall is an old attic wall created when the foundation was there previously. Just select and delete.

• Upvote 1

Just to be clear, you don't actually delete rooms.  They are formed by the program automatically when you enclose a space with walls (as long as they are not marked as "no room def").  When you delete walls, the rooms are temporarily kept in memory so that you can reconnect walls and keep your room settings.  Closing and reopening a plan will always clear out any temporary rooms.

Deleting walls, which can remove rooms, does not necessarily remove the things that were automatically created by the walls.  Things like foundation walls/slabs, attic walls, roofs, and framing might not be removed unless you have "auto rebuild" turned on for these things.  In these cases, you would have to manually remove them or manually rebuild them.

Also, it's important to keep your walls properly aligned between floors otherwise you can get strange attic walls or roofs generated.  Turning on your reference display (F9) is usually helpful for this.  If a wall is close to a wall above or below it but not actually aligned with it, you should see a new tool show up in your edit toolbar (or context menu) called "Align with Wall Above/Below".

Also, if you are in a camera view and you are trying to modify a room, you can usually click on a wall first and then use the tab key (or "next" tool) to select the room.  Alternatively, you can usually click on a floor or ceiling to select a room.

I am guessing that you are a relatively new user.  Regardless, we have lots of training videos that can help with most of this stuff.  I recommend starting with the quick start series:

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/videos/playlists/138/quick-start-video-series.html

• Upvote 1

Dermot,

Thank you for the additional info.  Yes, I'm a new user.  Pretty obvious I'm sure :)  Bought it last month and have spent at least 100 hours already watching tutorial videos and sketching learning how to use the app.   I am in the restoration and remodeling industry and have used Xactimate and Symbility exclusively and wanted a better solution to produce 3D images for clients to better visualize the finish out.  Currently learning how to drop in unit cost pricing for project estimates and takeoffs. The online tutorials are great for getting started.  The extensive amount of functionality is no doubt going to take months to figure out!