Roof Challenge...

Designer1

Sometimes when I see interesting roof configurations I often try and think of how I can achieve that in Chief.  Usually once playing around with chief for a bit I can figure it out.  Heres one that has me puzzled.  I tried to recreate the hip/gable at both ends of the house. I cant seem to figure out how to do this.  I know this isnt important for me to accomplish but its the principal at this point like how the heck do I do this roof in chief! :wacko:

Heres the link to the picture I saw of a homebuilder model.  Then my unsuccessful chief recreation. Not close! :lol:

https://www.tollbrothers.com/luxury-homes-for-sale/Arizona/Whitewing-at-Whisper-Ranch/Colton#view=elevations,1

Any ideas?

Roof.jpg

Ryan, 

I agree that roof returns can create great and varied returns, unless I am missing something here, that won't work in this case.   My model, in answering the challenge, is pretty sloppy, but I did it in a few minutes just to see a method for answering the OP problems.  I posted my working file, just so that the working method could be examined.  This is pretty much a manual roof job.

WOW!  Thanks for all the replies.  Doug that was quick of you to find a fix... now its making me think I need to polish up on my roof skills for sure.

Doug thanks for including a sample plan to view.  Can I ask for some insight on how you got control over the roof planes to create this? Everytime I would select walls for certain roof types (gable or other) it would then change the other roof planes.  Sometimes I find it hard to get the roof right thats why whenever I see an interesting roof line I try and recreate it in chief so I can try and learn new ways of using the tools.

Thanks again for all the replies!