Why can't I draw a CAD line that won't snap to the 1" mark?

DIYJon

I've spent the past hour trying to figure this out.  When I draw a line, it snaps to the 1" increment.  I'm trying to create a custom u-channel profile for a molding and the channel is small, but I'm unable to actually draw a line the right length.  Holding CMD gives me 100% control and 0% snapping.  I just need to be able to reduce the snap resolution to 1/32 or 1/16".  Am I expecting something that CA can't do?

When the 1" snap grid is on, drawing a line will (obviously)  snap to the grid and segments will want to be in 1" increments. To draw a shorter segment, start to draw the line, then press tab. You can then enter the desired length. Another simple way to draw a small u-channel is to draw a 1x1 polyline, then resize by using the temp dimensions, transform / replicate, or adjusting by snapping to line segment center points.

55 minutes ago, robdyck said:

When the 1" snap grid is on, drawing a line will (obviously)  snap to the grid and segments will want to be in 1" increments. To draw a shorter segment, start to draw the line, then press tab. You can then enter the desired length.

I was actually going to suggest that Rob but it does not work.  You would think it should but. :(

Hitting tab and specifying a length less than 1" works for me.  

Turning off the grid snaps also works.  So does specifying a smaller snap grid size.  So does using the Input Line tool.  And so does specifying the actual start point, end point, or line length in the specification dialog.

Should be able to use whatever method you like the best.

2 minutes ago, Dermot said:

Should be able to use whatever method you like the best.

I agree.

3 minutes ago, Dermot said:

Hitting tab and specifying a length less than 1" works for me.  

Unfortunately this and many other items that I have run into in the past do not work at my normal comfortable working zoom levels.

Perhaps this should have some sort of adjustable Preference setting ?

5 minutes ago, robdyck said:

@Chopsaw

It only works using tab and you need to be zoomed in to pretty tight to the grid, about 24" seems to do the trick.

Thanks Rob.  If you did not clarify that I would have just walked away and had to use a less effective tool.