How are you documenting reqd. glazing/vent code compliance?

Richard_Morrison

I'm trying to figure out the best way to document showing a plan checker the required glazing and ventilation areas for a habitable room, and demonstrating that the windows/doors meet that. A normal text box with macros is obvious for the requirements, but I'm wondering if there is a way to automate this relative to the window schedules. I can put a macro or value in the label (but then I lose the callout shape) or a custom object field, but no way I can find to total these within Chief. Just wondering if anyone has a creative solution.

Can probably be done with some custom text macros like I think I did in that graded pricing system I made for you a while back, but I think the easiest thing for most people is to simply copy and paste the schedule to an excel template that runs the totals and then copy back over. 

You can also use the Material List which opens up a bunch more possibilities, especially since you can add some specialized Components.

1 minute ago, Alaskan_Son said:

I think the easiest thing for most people is to simply copy and paste the schedule to an excel template that runs the totals and then copy back over. 

I'll trust you on that. I've burned up enough time experimenting with macros that I could have been long done with it.

• Like 1

Just now, Richard_Morrison said:

I'll trust you on that. I've burned up enough time experimenting with macros that I could have been long done with it.

Yup.  I think that's a pretty common trap.  Spending 2 hours futzing around with some "simple" macro that may or may not work just ate up the time it would have taken to make an excel template and do the copy and paste thing 100 times. 

Chief doesn't assign the "Room_Name" or "Type_Name" to Windows - but you could have a Custom Field for that.

Like Michael says it can be done and there could even be a custom Text Box with the data displayed for each room.

It would be a fairly complex macro system - but not impossible.  The macros would need to be able to accumulate the room data as well as the window data and then perform the calculations and display the results.  This is not unlike the Area Analysis macro systems.

41 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

They started assigning room name in X13

Doesn't always populate in the window attributes. 

It could be a result of bringing a plan forward from prior versions or how the room name is displayed in the plan. 

IAE, the "room_name" isn't really sufficient to verify which room a window is assigned to - unless all rooms have unique names.

9 hours ago, Alaskan_Son said:

Can probably be done with some custom text macros like I think I did in that graded pricing system I made for you a while back, but I think the easiest thing for most people is to simply copy and paste the schedule to an excel template that runs the totals and then copy back over. 

You can also use the Material List which opens up a bunch more possibilities, especially since you can add some specialized Components.

Michael, can i purchase a macro from you that does area analysis or something similar that i could modify? I am looking for something that i can use to do exterior takeoffs. it would be nice if it just added any polyline that was created on a certain layer or contained a material in the layer such as "Stucco 1" would add to layer "Stucco rear" ...etc.

On 1/4/2022 at 10:53 AM, Alaskan_Son said:

Can probably be done with some custom text macros like I think I did in that graded pricing system I made for you a while back

This is getting way off topic, but I'll put a plug in here for Michael's custom macros. He put together a great tiered-fee pricing macro system for me, which I can highly recommend. I have been using a flat-fee system based on square footage that clients seem to like since it's very transparent. I usually do remodelings and additions, but some square footage is more complicated than others. (Kitchens and baths are more complicated than bedrooms, say.) His system lets you assign categories to your different types of square footages by room, and totals them up. You can assign a price to each category of room, of course.

• Like 2