Lights bleed through walls and countertops. How to fix?

DIYJon

As you can see, I have a rope light under a custom counter top which bleeds through the bottom of where the counter top meets the floor as well as up through where sink is.  On the cabinet images, I have a few spots pointing down that bleed through to the hallway behind it.

The only thing I can think of for the hallway is that I'm using a pony wall to create an F channel reveal to a flush baseboard, but other than that, I would think this should all work without having this strange bleed over.  This isn't the only place this happens and I've been toying with light settings for quite a while now to try to get it right.

Additionally, the way the lights display in the view seems to be erratic, going from dim at one point to blinding wash-out at other times without making any changes to the actual light settings.  

Any insight would be appreciated.  Thanks!

Screen Shot 2022-01-03 at 7.52.55 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-01-03 at 7.53.07 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-01-03 at 7.53.40 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-01-03 at 7.53.50 PM.png

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Some possible reasons:

- You have shadows turned off.

- You have a light source that is pointing the wrong direction.

- You have an added light in your plan that you forgot about.

- You are using a symbol with bad surface normals.

- You have found a bug in the program that we are not aware of.

Without a plan, people can only make random guesses.  You should either post a plan or contact tech support.

• Like 2

On 1/16/2022 at 1:32 AM, stephenbc said:

I find that depending on the light you use, sometimes if the 'spot' is selected and the direction of the light isn't straight down (as in the dialogue box below), light can travel through walls and even floors.  

image.thumb.png.dacb845f40cd9a1a5053f2e59f45cbbf.png

Perhaps this user stretched or change the size of a light they put in.

That "show position in camera view" is excellent for several things.   

If you change the size of a light the x-y-z coordinates of the light source still comes from the *original* location in the light fixture. Seems like an obvious bug and CA should adjust the Y coordinate to be relative to the size change.