Buying a new laptop will this one work is it a good one that can be upgraded later

jerryajohnson35

There is nothing except RAM and an extra SSD to upgrade in laptops really, I would look on Dell direct rather than through Amazon too as that is an older model I believe as it only has a 10th gen. cpu  and 11th and even 12 gen is out now.... , you may do better for $2700 with Xmas Sales etc.

M.

my general rule is to spend $$$ on items that can't be upgraded later

ram and storage can usually be added later

video card upgrade - maybe ?

screen size, video card, cpu, power supply are not upgradeable or difficult to upgrade

plan for at least 5 years of usage

I still use my 2008 Win7 laptop as an offline workstation

Lew

Will work fine and hold you for 4-5 yrs but no can't upgrade. I think the 3070 is a good choice for laptops balancing heat, performance and price but I'd check to see how thermals are on 3080s. Note that different brands of the same model-3070, 3080, have different specs for power so performance varies.

Upgrading: First off the mobo cpu socket changed after the 10th gen Intel chips so even if the CPU meaning the MOBO would need to be changed.

2nd-Pretty much all mobile CPUs and GPUs are soldered making upgrade difficult and expensive. I ran some desktop replacement laptops for a while that were upgradeable (not soldered and had desktop CPUS) but when it was time (after 4-5 yrs) it simply was not worth it.

Other- As Kbird1 points out you can get an 11th gen cpu for almost the same $ and some cases for less without the 360hz screen. BTW you're paying a bit of a premium to get that 360hz screen. If you are not a gamer you won't notice. Even if Alienware is your preferred brand I'd look around some for a source like Dell of one that deals with computers, laptops in particular. I've bought from both HIDevolution  and Xotic PC (in part because I favor Clevo machines listed as Sager, Evoc, or house brand) both of them carry multiple brands and offer customization so you can at least know what parts you are getting. Good idea to have them improve the thermals with at least a paste job though I get pads as well.

Link to assorted 17" laptops w/RTX3070 at HID

Link to 17" laptops on Xotic