ZIP System

joey_martin

I think he is talking about the zip wall panels that have an inch of insulation panel on the inside.  Be careful specifying these.  Some areas will not let it count toward the brace wall panels because of the insulation that sits between the sheathing and the wall framing.

• Upvote 1

I am taking about the R-6 Insulated Panels. In zone 5 we can do R-19 (2x6) or R-13+5 (2x4). It's the R-5 part that I am interested in. 90% we use 2x6 exterior walls and it's not a problem, one builder insists on using 2x4 exterior walls and the new building commissioner is making him submit plans and get permits, where in the past, he did whatever the hell he wanted to. 

https://www.huberwood.com/zip-system/insulated-r-sheathing

On 12/30/2021 at 1:30 PM, javatom said:

I think he is talking about the zip wall panels that have an inch of insulation panel on the inside.  Be careful specifying these.  Some areas will not let it count toward the brace wall panels because of the insulation that sits between the sheathing and the wall framing.

I've been able to use them for wall bracing using the appropriate ESR report: ESR-3373. The big disadvantage is that wall panel lengths must be a minimum of 48", and you need the code official to sign-off if you design the panels to resist both uplift and shear.

3 hours ago, rlackore said:

need the code official to sign-off if you design the panels to resist both uplift and shear.

No lie....the last time I talked with our new local "code official" about shear and uplift...this was for a pavilion I designed for the city....her eyes glazed over as she was trying to not look like she had zero clue what I was talking about. 

P.S....she's a friend of the mayor ;)

• Like 1

I haven't used this product but if I were I'd set it up as a single layer in the wall spec. and I'd show it as a single layer in cross sections, and both layers in details.

And then I'd probably change my mind after finding a reason to show it as 2 layers, and then I'd change my mind again and go back to a single layer.

• Upvote 1

One way of dealing with the detail is to use a separate wall type with 2 layers for the R-Zip that you use to draw the wall in the Detail.  I regularly use wall types in my details to get all the layers automatically.  Then I just need to add the other elements.