why won't the vertical line draw in elevation?

SH_Canada

the left stairs do not show the vertical line like the middle stair does. The right stair is just a copy and paste of the left stair and it shows the vertical line. It is on the stair layer (along with the rest of the stair). Any ideas on why it does not show?. I fiddled with in for 45 min yesterday turning settings off and on in the stair hoping it would trigger it to reshow it. I also tried moving the room divder at the end left and right, that made no difference

image.thumb.png.f45ec6a1029a19040537d53bacfa719f.png

6 hours ago, crosscutter55 said:

This meaning the program operates in a clockwise formation follow that pointer in that formation

you have intrigued me with this. what  does this mean?

The odd thing is the zoom in seemed to show it perfectly fine(see below), and the width of the stairs showed 36" even when I changed the decimal places in the middle. I even used the center tool to center with the other stairs and it did not fix it. the only thing that fixed it what was glennw suggested. I suspect the reason this happened was my object snaps were turned off. 

so it appears the program does something specific when snapping this to the wall. I also looked a little further at when open underneath is not checked on stairs, the part coming down is only a thin layer, so my guess is this thinness must be in a perfect spot to have it show on the cross section.

Which, I suppose, I am using this to show the vertical line where the stairs end. it does not actually represent anything in real life, at least in this case. So really for me, although I liked seeing it, there should really be no requirement for me to see it. it was more a matter of consistency

image.png.c83f9d3668fcbb152a8653627360ed94.png

image.thumb.png.dde5600dd81aa17966291e9a1f0d3b77.png

Just guessing here because I did not have time to look at your plan, but if the stair is actually any bit within the wall, the thin side surface will not show which means you won't see the vertical line showing where it ends.

As you have shown above those surfaces you get when you uncheck "Open Underneath" don't really build a solid stair.  Moving the stair a little bit can solve this problem.  Specifying a small value for the Side Inset can also solve problems like this.  Either way, you are also stuck with the extra line on the side that you probably don't want either.

A solution that I sometimes like better is to keep "Open Underneath" checked and specify the "Height Below Tread" large enough to go all the way to the floor.  This can give you a much more realistic looking solid stair.

solid stairs.png

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, jasonN said:

10 hours ago, crosscutter55 said:

This meaning the program operates in a clockwise formation follow that pointer in that formation

you have intrigued me with this. what  does this mean?

I think this is referring to the fact that in older versions of Chief you had to draw walls in a clockwise direction so that the wall was the correct way around.

I more recent versions, however, Chief will automatically reverse the wall direction to ensure (in most cases) that the wall is not "inside out".

• Upvote 1