Santa came early!

Designer1

Im so excited, I just loaded Chief X13 on my new computer.  I went from my nearly 10 year old Alienware Aurora R3 Nvidia GTX 580 graphics cards to this (specs at signature).  What a difference!  I loved my Alienware it was problem free for ten years but starting to be slow in Chief.  Its always fun to get something new that you use everyday.  I love seeing all the new goodies in X13, I wasnt able to use it when I bought it at the beginning of the year because it wouldnt run on my old system.  

I wanted to thank all the tech support crew at Chief that helped guide me to find the right computer for optimal Chief performance, I appreciate it a lot!

I hope everyone has a great Christmas with their families this week! 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Designer1 said:

Im so excited, I just loaded Chief X13 on my new computer.  I went from my nearly 10 year old Alienware Aurora R3 Nvidia GTX 580 graphics cards to this (specs at signature).  What a difference!  I loved my Alienware it was problem free for ten years but starting to be slow in Chief.  Its always fun to get something new that you use everyday.  I love seeing all the new goodies in X13, I wasnt able to use it when I bought it at the beginning of the year because it wouldnt run on my old system.  

I wanted to thank all the tech support crew at Chief that helped guide me to find the right computer for optimal Chief performance, I appreciate it a lot!

I hope everyone has a great Christmas with their families this week! 

NICE and this might be what jealousy looks like in a post :P

6 hours ago, DRAWZILLA said:

I also just ordered a new Alienware but don't get it until next month.

Yes sir! Placing my order for the R12 32 gig rtx 3080 tonight or tomorrow. Tax write off. Can anyone suggest what is better? Gaming monitor or 4k for what we do in chief?

2 hours ago, ChiefUserBigRob said:

Yes sir! Placing my order for the R12 32 gig rtx 3080 tonight or tomorrow. Tax write off. Can anyone suggest what is better? Gaming monitor or 4k for what we do in chief?

Hi Rob,

When I called on chief tech guy told me 4k can appear to make the items on the chief dashboard too small, thats why I didnt go for the 4k.  However after i got a differrent monitor another chief tech person said they had worked that out.  So you might want to call to get clarity on what would be best for your needs using Chief.  I found the new monitors were leaps and bounds better than my old flat screen so anything was better.  the 4k were also hundreds of dollars more.  Im super happy with the curved monitor. At first I thought it might be a marketing gimmick but decided to get it just to try one out and now I love it and wouldnt go back to a flat screen again.

Perry, good luck with your new Alienware!  I had literally zero issues with mine big or small for about ten years then in the last six months Ive had a few issues like needing to reinstall windows and a cooling fan but not bad for ten years of heavy duty everyday use. So what Alienware did you order? Your computer now from your signature line looks pretty amazing as is!

Its always a bit uncomfortable to get a new computer because I always like to get the highest model so its pricey but then I dont need to replace it for ten years.  The reason I got the MSI was several friends including chief tech said they were really good computers.  My friend had told me the RTX 3080Ti graphics card was $2000 stand alone and it would cost near $4500- 5000 to build the whole computer with what I ordered.  Luckily they had some shipping delays and they reduced the price of the computer so I got it for $3100!  What a deal! That was just for the tower, keyboard and mouse. Total out the door with everything including monitor, speakers, tax and shipping was about $3600.

i got the r-12 with upgraded drives ,CPU,  32gb and just a standard 1660 video card b/c I already have a 3060. In have been using 2- 4k monitors for quite a while now without any problems, you can adjust the size of things in windows or nvidea control panel, or Chief itself. I like the 4k for good resolution for renders.

Wow!  You guys are starting to talk me into the 4K monitor now.  So how much of a difference between the regular uhd monitor vs 4K do you notice?  

Yeah I saw a 4K tv there that was 43” that was 4K and I was going to get it but then remembered about what the chief tech dept told me about everything appearing really small.  When you adjust the resolution on the 4K does it look really good?  Since you’ve had both monitors I’d love to hear your experience with them. 

On 12/18/2021 at 7:11 PM, ChiefUserBigRob said:

Got mine about 2 months ago... really sweet...only thing i dont love is the keyboard without specific numbers pad... but minor

On 12/18/2021 at 4:11 PM, ChiefUserBigRob said:

Yes sir! Placing my order for the R12 32 gig rtx 3080 tonight or tomorrow. Tax write off. Can anyone suggest what is better?

The R12 has the 11th Gen Intel Processor and the R13 has the 12th Gen. The R13 is 'better'. EDIT - The 12th Gen is better.

• 4 weeks later...
12 hours ago, ChiefUserBigRob said:

how are you liking the new Alienware?

I got it new with a defective SSD drive, but they came out and put a new one in, so now it's working great. It took a while to load up everything though. I like the new, it's like a new way to work and I can get excited about sitting all day.