Terrain Region Question

HumbleChief

I'm always befuddled by terrain features and I've created what I'd like to be a flat 'elevation region' but for some reason it slopes up at the edge (technical term). Here's a pic and the plan's attached.

post-302-0-22876900-1419871569_thumb.png

terrain question.plan

...and yes it's a very strange subterainian garage with even more terrain hell coming up but if I could understand this elevation region that might get me started.

-Hi Larry,

I started using the "raised region" or "lowered region" tools.

Place the blob into your plan (while in terrain mode) and start shaping it using the break tool. Give it a height (in the dialogue box) and what what happens when in a 3d overview.

I keep both the plan and camera view open on different monitors so that I can watch how it's being shaped.

Thanks Perry. Can't for the life of me see what you did differently. Maybe added the 0" height terrain region above? Will Elevation regions interact with JUST the Terrain Perimeter (video show it does not) or do they need another data point, like a elevation line or region in order to have an effect on the terrain?

Very much appreciate your time Perry and I'll continue to thrash my way through. Happy New Year to All.

Thanks Scott,

I thought I had this figured out but don't do them that often. Your vid looks like it's still loading but will take a look as soon as it does. 

I did get a reasonable representation of the terrain using elevation regions, was just stumped by that initial weirdness. And as Perry said my terrain was not auto updating, even though the setting was checked.

Another thanks and have a Happy New Year!!

post-302-0-57002800-1419879922_thumb.png

LOVE your videos!! I was as frustrated as you when trying stuff out and the auto rebuild terrain was not working as you saw, even though it was checked, oh wait sometimes it does update. So I was making changes and nothing was changing in the 3D view - crazy making.

I really like your explanation with the zero starting point and all other levels relative to the floor levels. I made the mistake (although it came out fine) of starting with the upper level at -102" because That's where the entry to the house was and blah blah blah I can see it makes no sense but got it to work somehow.

Thanks again for taking the time.