Best place to learn building code?

ChiefUserKris2

Hi there, 

I'm seasoned with CAD in the utilities world but new to Interior Design.

Could someone point me to the best place to learn the building code? I'm in CA.

Every time I look it points to hardcopies you have to buy.  Is that best to do so I have it handy? I was hoping I could search online for specific items.

But before I get started with my business I want to just study it.

Kristina

53 minutes ago, ChiefUserKris2 said:

But before I get started with my business I want to just study it.

I'd start my business then study what I need, when I need! Otherwise, you may never get that business off the ground!! You might start looking into the code and then decide you need a different occupation!

29 minutes ago, robdyck said:

You might start looking into the code and then decide you need a different occupation!

Especially in California!!

Here in Indiana, besides having a subscription to the online codes ( https://codes.iccsafe.org/ ) I can also go to the state website and get reference link, or to the Indiana Association of Building Officials site ( https://www.iabo.com/ ) and look for reference links. Check in California has such a resource for you.

• Upvote 1

The best way to learn code is to see if you can shadow a plans examiner for a few days.   Here in the province of Ontario, there are courses that can be taken to learn enough code to pass the challenge exam.  When you do your first few design projects you will quickly discover that you didn't learn nearly enough.  I have no idea about California Building Code, but it was written by the same type of people who wrote the code here, well then you will understand how to solve Rubic's Cube.  

What I am saying is there are probably sentences in the code that are modified by other sentences in the code under certain conditions.  These are what I call "gotcha" rules.  Sort of like trying to drive by looking in the rear-view mirror in a fog only harder.  

I hope everyone can overlook my tongue in cheek irreverent rant, but what the heck.

8 minutes ago, Doug_N said:

I have no idea about California Building Code, but it was written by the same type of people who wrote the code here, well then you will understand how to solve Rubic's Cube.

All except for the people in California most likely did not consider that it would be a good idea to write the entire code in metric for an industry that does not use metric.

Chopsaw wrote:

All except for the people in California most likely did not consider that it would be a good idea to write the entire code in metric for an industry that does not use metric.

Conversion from the metric notation in the OBC is easy, just divide millimeters by 25.4 to get inches, or 3.2808 to get feet from metres. piece of cake.

And who can't visualize an 38mm x 140mm to see that it is just a 2 x 6?  :huh:  

• Like 1

In my experience in CA there are at least 2 VERY distinct areas of the code and one that is FAR more important to be well versed in than the other. Those 2 parts are zoning and building. With "building" I have NEVER had a plan that passes through the City without corrections of some kind but those corrections are a great way to learn "building" codes and in my case I use an engineer to create all details etc. so it's slightly easier. 

Zoning is a completely other animal. Whereas in building you can always use 'bigger wood' and 'more nails' (it's a joke between myself and a builder I work for) zoning is completely unforgiving and worth, no critical, you learn for almost every project. Setbacks; Floor Area Ratios (FAR); Height limitations; and a few other factors that will either allow or kill your project here in CA.

You can indeed download and sturdy the CBC the IBC and all other 'building' code references but you don' understand the 'zoning' of the project you could be in for a very rude awakening if the City denied your project.

• Upvote 1

California is fickle for sure; I work in around 50 different cities here and they are all somewhat different especially in the zoning codes. The California building codes are also different than the ICC codes. The more plan checks you go through here, the better you will get. You can get them free on the internet in pdf form, so you can add exact text to your plans. Good luck

45 minutes ago, HumbleChief said:

In my experience in CA there are at least 2 VERY distinct areas of the code and one that is FAR more important to be well versed in than the other. Those 2 parts are zoning and building. With "building" I have NEVER had a plan that passes through the City without corrections of some kind but those corrections are a great way to learn "building" codes and in my case I use an engineer to create all details etc. so it's slightly easier. 

Zoning is a completely other animal. Whereas in building you can always use 'bigger wood' and 'more nails' (it's a joke between myself and a builder I work for) zoning is completely unforgiving and worth, no critical, you learn for almost every project. Setbacks; Floor Area Ratios (FAR); Height limitations; and a few other factors that will either allow or kill your project here in CA.

You can indeed download and sturdy the CBC the IBC and all other 'building' code references but you don' understand the 'zoning' of the project you could be in for a very rude awakening if the City denied your project.

Larry,

Zoning and the bylaws that are enacted to create them is a totally different aspect to designing buildings.  Because a building complies with building code doesn't mean that it is going to be allowed for a specific lot location.   Here we have a quasi legal Committee of Adjustment, where you can appeal for relief from a bylaw with what is called a minor variance.  The committee looks at your appeal, determines if the minor relief (say 32% lot coverage instead of the 30% allowed in the bylaw) and decides to grant relief or not.  Is there a similar process in California?

Here zoning is, as I assume it is in California, determined by each municipality.

Here is the best business advice I can give you.

1) Find out what qualifications are required to design houses for other people in the jurisdictions that you are planning to be working in.  In my area a person must be qualified by writing building code exams and passing with an acceptable mark in each exam.  If there are qualification requirements, you will need to meet those before practicing on your own.

2) If possible while learning the BC ropes, work for someone now in the design process.

3) If possible, get a plans examiner to mentor you in the beginning.

4) Find out what the requirements are for Errors and Omissions insurance, and General Liability Insurance.  Design something that fails, and you will be up to your neck in lawsuits.

5) Get a good lawyer to design a Scope of Work Agreement that outlines what your service covers, what constitutes an extra, how to exit the agreement, who owns the intellectual property that you create, progress payments, and what is entirely outside of the scope of your work.

6) Do not ever work for free, or on speculation.   That is a rabbit hole that is never ending and creates bitter experiences.

7) Never believe a person that suggests that you should work for less on this project and they have others to follow that will be worth more.  If you work for less now, you are setting a benchmark that will be hard to change later.  Also, that is a good chance that there never will be a later, at least for that client.

8) Not and hard and fast rule but don't negotiate price.  Know what you are worth, what the market is paying, and stick to your guns.  If the client wants a lower price, then take something of value off the table as well.  Lower price equals less work in other words.  Sometimes if times are lean you will have to cave on this, but certainly not if work is ongoing.

9) Once you have a client, treat the client as respectfully as you can.  Return calls promptly.  A satisfied client is your best sales tool.

10) Talk to lots of real estate sales reps.  People moving into a new house often want renovations, or they may have clients that want to do renovations to improve the curb appeal to sell.

11) Lean on this forum for ongoing advice, there are lots of people here who really know their stuff.  Ask questions and consider the answers that you get.  You may not follow the advice but at least you have a perspective that may help you in ways that you least expect.

Good luck, it is always tough to go out on your own, but it can be very rewarding both financially and in personal satisfaction because you have created designs.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, Doug_N said:

6) Do not ever work for free, or on speculation.   That is a rabbit hole that is never ending and creates bitter experiences.

7) Never believe a person that suggests that you should work for less on this project and they have others to follow that will be worth more.  If you work for less now, you are setting a benchmark that will be hard to change later.  Also, that is a good chance that there never will be a later, at least for that client.

8) Not and hard and fast rule but don't negotiate price.  Know what you are worth, what the market is paying, and stick to your guns.  If the client wants a lower price, then take something of value off the table as well.  Lower price equals less work in other words.  Sometimes if times are lean you will have to cave on this, but certainly not if work is ongoing.

9) Once you have a client, treat the client as respectfully as you can.  Return calls promptly.  A satisfied client is your best sales tool.

Ditto!

2 hours ago, Doug_N said:

Larry,

Zoning and the bylaws that are enacted to create them is a totally different aspect to designing buildings.  Because a building complies with building code doesn't mean that it is going to be allowed for a specific lot location.   Here we have a quasi legal Committee of Adjustment, where you can appeal for relief from a bylaw with what is called a minor variance.  The committee looks at your appeal, determines if the minor relief (say 32% lot coverage instead of the 30% allowed in the bylaw) and decides to grant relief or not.  Is there a similar process in California?

Here zoning is, as I assume it is in California, determined by each municipality.

I agree 100% and could have sworn I said the same thing in my post above. I'll try and be more clear next time.

But more directly to the OP I would, once again, suggest learning the Zoning code, or whatever it's called in Canada, versus trying to know all there is regarding the 'building code' because even 'if a building complies with with building code doesn't mean that it is going be allowed for a specific location'.

My situation is unique.  I'm an Electrical Contractor.  I see the Building and Electrical Inspectors often.  Over the years I've built a relationship with all of them in different counties and municipalities in this area.  I can pick up the phone and call their cellphone and just ask.   If you talk to them one on one, they'll tell you that they would rather have you ask in the design phase.

The result is easier on them and you.   

Some of the new inspectors like to come out tuff and firm.  Once they realize that you are professional and knowledgeable, they become friendly.

I agree with Larry...just do it.

The first time I did a whole house fire rebuild plan, I got a letter from the building department with 42 items to correct! I was truly enraged. I looked up the codes and listed them in my plan notes. When I re-submitted, the plans examiner told me that the next large project would be easier because I now had all of the required information/notes. I have added many things to the notes (all from new or different requirements from the many local jurisdictions). My notes take up about a half page of a 24x36 sheet. It is a lot of nonsense, but my plans have passed muster even with the some of the more difficult jurisdictions.

Most building departments list requirements and code sections of basic kitchen and bath codes (also decks, fences, etc.). These would be good items to list on your plan notes for these types of jobs.

Learn as you go...it's a fun ride!

Steve

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, SteveNovato said:

Learn as you go...it's a fun ride!

Steve

And a bit intimidating but once you get the hang of your City's requirements totally doable. If one can assume the attitude of one project at a time instead of trying to learn all of the code for all projects, it's a smaller bite, and remember as has been mentioned here a couple of times it's usually the zoning that can make or break a project and that again can be researched one project at a time.

Steve, regarding your post, it seems every time I submit I get another "note" that I need to add from the latest plan checker and have an entire 24 x 36 page of 'notes'. One plan checker wanted me to list only the 'proper and current' notes so I asked if I could please be informed of what those notes might be. Never heard back so I jut keep adding them.

• Like 1

People here seem to have glossed over that you are asking about Code as related to Interior Design. You will get better answers if you are clear about the type of work you plan to do. There is only a small subset of the Code related to interior design, and it is unlikely that zoning ordinances are going to play a big part in your future.