Plan Review/Submittal Redline - Peer Review Group?

tinadelllic

Hi there,

Perhaps this already exists which I'd love to be apart of... Otherwise, any interest in forming a peer review group specifically for plans prepared for building department submittal or have been returned with redline comments for corrections? I know that building departments vary, however it would be a great resource if a trusted circle could openly share for feedback and collaboration. Please share any thoughts!

EDIT: Let me know if this isn't the place to share, but in spirit of the post here is a quick/simple comment response template for building department redlines if desired :)

Kristina Morsman

tinadelllic@icloud.com

Chief X13

COMMENT_RESPONSE_TEMPLATE.docx

That is a great idea. Maybe this can become the start of it as it would just need to be an ongoing thread. The only problem would be if multiple submissions were getting feedback at the same time. Maybe this thread is the jumping off point to  a slack channel where you could have individualized projects for clarity.

Personally, since I am working in California, a lot of my knowledge is based on the needs of our states more stringent requirements.

On 12/13/2021 at 10:10 PM, tinadelllic said:

comment response template for building department redlines if desired

Really easy to establish a redline SPV in chief and drop redline notes in camera and plan. Notes can bind to z-coordinates, so they show up at the correct height in 3d. Just establish your note type as redline and a schedule for only redline notes and makes for a dynamic markup tool. Then you just need a place to host files...which you could do here or on an FB group. 
I'd be happy to make a redline section in mine

• 1 year later...

Hello, I realize the post is about a year old, but has anything come of this idea?  I also do mostly construction plans for permitting.  I actually popped in here today because I am seeking the same type of mentoring/peer group resources, and I saw this post.  I am the only one who does what I do at my company and I am looking to interact with peers to share ideas, particularly for my drafting workflow and timelines. 

• Like 1

On 1/19/2023 at 9:15 AM, MarylandGirl said:

Hello, I realize the post is about a year old, but has anything come of this idea?  I also do mostly construction plans for permitting.  I actually popped in here today because I am seeking the same type of mentoring/peer group resources, and I saw this post.  I am the only one who does what I do at my company and I am looking to interact with peers to share ideas, particularly for my drafting workflow and timelines. 

Hi there! I'm still interested. I'll shoot you a message and we can talk further. 

• 3 weeks later...

I would be interested in perhaps a pre-review as well (i.e. what might be wrong in what they want to do).. I just got caught doing something simple and missed a code requirement which the building department caught, and there are no elegant options to deal with it. If I would have caught it at first review, the customer perhaps might have chosen not to go forward and saved everyone time and money

I deal with three counties and one city here in northern California.  And the various agencies use various outside plan check companies.  The quality of the plan check process varies considerably.  To make things fun, various plan checkers seem to want random lines from the building code regurtated on the plans.  I have a standard set of general notes that have been compiled by adding red-line items to the boilerplate.

Aftre 30 years of design experience, I have yet to have a bullet proof plan submittal.

What seems to be the best practice is to ask the plan checkers to submit their correction letter in a word format.  This way, I can cut and paste their comments in my response letter.

If anyone comes up with a magic pill, I am all ears.

Good luck!!

I do think this an excellent idea. I can foresee it evolving from helpful plan review to an open exchange of notes and details from the participants experience.

40 minutes ago, mborean said:

And the various agencies use various outside plan check companies.  The quality of the plan check process varies considerably.  To make things fun, various plan checkers seem to want random lines from the building code regurtated on the plans

I particularly like various responses for the same submittal: Setback definition: Zoning -"to the foundation" Building - "to the siding" Outside plan check - "Setback to the outside face of the fascia on the overhang" Say what? Trying to decide what section of the code to quote on a plan is like playing whack-a-mole. Even standard notes such as

1. ALL WORK IS TO BE PERFORMED IN ACCORDANCE WITH ALL FEDERAL, STATE AND LOCAL CODES AND ORDINANCES HAVING JURISDICTION.
  2. IN ALL CASES WHEN THERE IS A DISCREPANCY BETWEEN THE GOVERNING CODES, ORDINANCES OR REGULATIONS AND THE SPECIFICATIONS CONTAINED IN THE CONSTRUCTION DOCUMENTS THE CONTRACTORS SHALL OBSERVE THE MORE STRINGENT OF REQUIREMENTS.

Don't seem to help.

On 2/7/2023 at 3:50 PM, richoffan said:

I do think this an excellent idea. I can foresee it evolving from helpful plan review to an open exchange of notes and details from the participants experience.

I particularly like various responses for the same submittal: Setback definition: Zoning -"to the foundation" Building - "to the siding" Outside plan check - "Setback to the outside face of the fascia on the overhang" Say what? Trying to decide what section of the code to quote on a plan is like playing whack-a-mole. Even standard notes such as

1. ALL WORK IS TO BE PERFORMED IN ACCORDANCE WITH ALL FEDERAL, STATE AND LOCAL CODES AND ORDINANCES HAVING JURISDICTION.
  2. IN ALL CASES WHEN THERE IS A DISCREPANCY BETWEEN THE GOVERNING CODES, ORDINANCES OR REGULATIONS AND THE SPECIFICATIONS CONTAINED IN THE CONSTRUCTION DOCUMENTS THE CONTRACTORS SHALL OBSERVE THE MORE STRINGENT OF REQUIREMENTS.

Don't seem to help.

Hi there! Zoning is a real specialty of mine and I’m happy to help if I can. I definitely have dealt with essentially this exact setback distinction and they are quite different. I can help you straighten this out for your particular project if you want to reach out to me in a direct message or in this post with your plans and/or the municipality zoning code excerpt or any published documents such as a checklist where this is requested.

On 2/7/2023 at 3:00 PM, mborean said:

I deal with three counties and one city here in northern California.  And the various agencies use various outside plan check companies.  The quality of the plan check process varies considerably.  To make things fun, various plan checkers seem to want random lines from the building code regurtated on the plans.  I have a standard set of general notes that have been compiled by adding red-line items to the boilerplate.

Aftre 30 years of design experience, I have yet to have a bullet proof plan submittal.

What seems to be the best practice is to ask the plan checkers to submit their correction letter in a word format.  This way, I can cut and paste their comments in my response letter.

If anyone comes up with a magic pill, I am all ears.

Good luck!!

Personally I’ve developed a massive word document that I copy/paste applicable code excerpts onto a layout page I’ve formatted to just be a huge list of codes for the project which sometimes even runs two pages long for bigger scopes of work. All in all sounds like your mind was in the same place!