cleaning up the temp and undo files

stevenyhof

5 minutes ago, Dermot said:

In theory, yes.  I would recommend that you close all programs when you do this though.  Some of those temp files may by in use.

Thank you very much! I do see that on my X12 I used the default Temp folder which is also used by many other programs, where my X13 I set up my own Temp folder.

2 hours ago, stevenyhof said:

Can I go into me Temp folder and delete old dated or even all Temp files to clean things up?

image.thumb.png.131785d1f05e053db9e3b396650bcd86.png

typically this happens only when the program doesn't close cleanly as it should "clean up" after each session on it own

but is also one reason I specify my Own Temp and Undo Folders as well, and clean them out myself when Chief is closed if needed.

M.

57 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

typically this happens only when the program doesn't close cleanly as it should "clean up" after each session on it own

but is also one reason I specify my Own Temp and Undo Folders as well, and clean them out myself when Chief is closed if needed.

M.

I figured. Now that I have the Temp folder under my own path I will watch it. Thank you

I had the computer crash and the temp files remain. I tested it by opening a plan, making some changes and the undo temp files showed up. When I closed normally the temp files were removed - all good.

Further question on temp files...

When my computer crashed, (I think I over clocked the new ram and put that back to auto) and went back in to open a plan I was working on, it wanted to use an auto saved version, which I excepted. However, it said it was corrupted and would not open. So I went to open the file again without the saved version and it was like an hour old. Most of the things I worked on were gone. That was fine because I was messing around with a portal framing detail. However, if it was a clients plan, I may not be so dismissive. I have the preferences set up to save every 2 minutes. Where can I go to find a backup file that is more than 2 minutes old?

In AutoCAD I created a system to backup with every save which created a copy of the last backup and put that into a separate "Previous" folder and then it would overwrite the file in the main "Current" folder. So even when the software crashed and would possibly corrupts the "Current" file, I always had a "Previous" backup.

Does CA do something similar so I can get my hands on at least a more recent file?

Thank you,

Steve

There are always backups in the Archive Folder , inside the Chief Data Folder which is usually in My Documents unless you specified it to be put somewhere else.

With X13 I also Lowered my Autosave time , but you can also set an Auto Archive down lower as well.

image.thumb.png.1d11b47cfa53fe4ff17b470d61179d07.png

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

There are always backups in the Archive Folder , inside the Chief Data Folder which is usually in My Documents unless you specified it to be put somewhere else.

With X13 I also Lowered my Autosave time , but you can also set an Auto Archive down lower as well.

image.thumb.png.1d11b47cfa53fe4ff17b470d61179d07.png

Ah! Right there it is!! Thank you, Mick!