I bought new 27"MAC..... should I exchange for better IMAC

dshall

1 minute ago, rgardner said:

Thats a good machine but I personally would upgrade at least the ram and if you have the 5700 gpu available go for it as the imac is not easily upgradeable in the future.

Nice machine though!!!

Ryan,  is the lack of memory (8gb vs 16 gb) the reason for the machine being slow?  

Is the reasoning being that CA can only use 8gb,  so if anything else is going on,  CA will be slower?

BTW, The only reason I did not upgrade to the best was it was a special order and I needed the machine ASAP.  

If you can tell me that the lack of memory is the reason for being sluggish,  I will upgrade today.

thank you for your input.

33 minutes ago, dshall said:

Ryan,  is the lack of memory (8gb vs 16 gb) the reason for the machine being slow?  

Is the reasoning being that CA can only use 8gb,  so if anything else is going on,  CA will be slower?

BTW, The only reason I did not upgrade to the best was it was a special order and I needed the machine ASAP.  

If you can tell me that the lack of memory is the reason for being sluggish,  I will upgrade today.

thank you for your input.

I would think it's really hard to know exactly where the sluggish is coming from but I wouldn't point to memory as a starting place. Chief uses the CPU and the graphics card (GPU) to do all of the work on a plan/renders/camera views etc. and any 'speed' or lack thereof likely has to come from those two components.

Where is it sluggish'? Plan draw/redraw? Undo? Rendering? RTRT? Camera views? Everywhere? And as you know it might be just as fast as your older system but nothing worse than the 'feeling' of sluggish with a new rig.

Not sure you need Real Time Ray Tracing and not sure of exact specs but the minimums link show you need a RX 6000 if you want to do RTRT? Are the camera views the weak link?

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-02761/chief-architect-minimum-system-requirements.html#X13

Minimum:

• Video Card:
    • 2 GB of dedicated video memory or Gen9/Skylake or newer Intel integrated graphics chipset
    • DirectX 12 supporting Shader Model 6 for a Windows-based PC
    • macOS GPUFamily2 v1 for a Mac
    • For GPU real-time ray tracing, a Windows 10 computer with an NVIDIA RTX or an AMD Radeon RX 6000 series graphics card is required.
  • 5 GB of available hard disk space
  • Internet access
  • 8 GB of RAM
  • 64-bit Windows 10 / 11
  • macOS 10.15 / 11 (Catalina / Big Sur)

The 5700XT is only about the equivalent of a 2070 Super ( same as my laptop) or perhaps a 2080 Nvidia card , so you won't get the Performance of a 3000 Nvidia series or the AMD 6000 Series but I am not sure if they are in iMAC's yet?

I am not sure chief will use ever 16GB of VRAM though so it may not be worth the Upgrade , when is apple releasing the new 2021/2022 Version?

M.

Hey Scott, I also have the iMac 27" like you have, but with the 5700XT and a bit more memory.. I'm not sure if the little extra memory and 5700 XT video card have a big difference, but I have noticed a little slow down since I bought it new last December. Apple has done an upgrade, CA X13 now instead of X12 and a much larger library all have contributed to a little slower pace. I'm not sure how much each of them play a part in this, but the slow down isn't very significant. Noticeable, but not significant enough to complain. I just started with CA when I bought the computer so I have no previous system for comparison. However, having said that, I have watched an enormous amount of videos on CA and even some on YouTube - I have noticed that my computer's lag time is very similar, if not better than most of the computers in the videos for most functions.

Side Note, I ordered the Nano Screen option and I am so glad that I paid the price for it. No screen glare from lights or windows at all. Well worth the price. The factory mouse didn't measure up and I bought Memory on line as it was a better buy than from Apple. I have to live with out Ray Tracing, but over all I'm glad that I spent the small fortune on this iMac.

175073168_ScreenShot2021-12-13at9_37_14AM.thumb.png.3534f21756ed838623548af0240f050f.png