horizontal fence board

SHCanada2

I've been fiddling around with the fence properties trying to get a fence with fence posts every 8 feet and horizontal 1x6 running between them with a half inch gap.

Tried 22 ways to sunday. no luck. is there some trick to get this?

closest I can get is a basket weave using the "panel" option:, but the other problem is the post stops on the lower stepped fence, it needs to go to the top of the higher elevation fence

image.thumb.png.042335bfd56783222799fa7766105dc4.png

found "horizontal rail" in the catalog but it has vertical lines every 12" and I see no way to make the vertical gap smaller. and still the same post problem

any ideas? I'm sure I cant be the first person to try this...although a search of the forum for "horizontal fencing" seems to suggest this is not common

image.thumb.png.81a68607cf3dff436ef7d33e2f935c52.png

image.png

You might be able to get something like this if you fiddle with a wall break and bring the upper fence over the terrain feature. 

image.thumb.png.f1f74c696abd0f5eca8c98e32c428903.png

As for the panel you will most likely need to draw one of those just the way you are going to build it.

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-02893/creating-custom-balusters-and-railing-panels.html

That's so quick to make a fence panel. It'd be faster than typing this:

Draw a general framing member in plan view. Set it as a 1x6, 96" long. Select it, use transform replicate tool to copy it 11 times, 6" up in the z axis. Group select all, use convert to symbol tool, add to library as millwork. You'll be able to select the new symbol in your library, and in a 3d view, you can use the replace tool to change out your current panels for the entire fence.

• Upvote 1

hmm sounds simple, let me try that.

another intereting i found, for the stock oxford fence, it shows something on the top of the fence board, but not the post. almost like it is drawing a 2x perpendicular

any idea on how to get rid of it? when I convert to CAD detail, it becomes very apparent. it is also on the bottom

image.thumb.png.d77f1056c43255c9cc4f9e2ceed9a58d.png

I had to do another one so I faked it with ballusters, top rail and bottom rail, specified balluster at 5.5", spacing at 6.25", close enough. cant tell from the elevation that they are 5.5 square.

All I do know is the vast majority of fences here are 4x4 posts with 2x4 across top and bottom, sometimes 2x4 on flat. Top sometimes is down from from the top to give the picket look.

This customer built a fence and a privacy wall all above bylaw height and now the City wants elevations in order to approve the over height, , which is why I am a little picky on the details as that is all the drawings are...fences, and a plot plan. I did the horizontal before I saw the advice above, so it is just the basket weave altered on the CAD detail(created own gap and then multiple copied down). but I like the idea from above 

anyway turned out good I think

image.thumb.png.e8e1e388dd0b18902c8f9601961c8e2f.png