Is there a way to set the default for 'Cantilever Underside' ???

DzinEye

If you create a room the room dbx shows the material for Cantilever Underside as 'default' ...but I cannot find where to change that default?  

If you go to Defaults Settings > Floors & Rooms .... neither Floor Dbx's nor Room Dbx's will show 'Cantilever Underside' so a material can be selected.

11 hours ago, scottharris said:

You can set that default in the Ceiling Finish Definition.  In the attached screen shot, it’s using ‘storm’.  Change it here to what you want for the initial material.

Thank you Scott.  It appears then that there is not a way to have a different default Cantilever Underside material from the rooms ceilling finish material.  Would be nice to have that broken out as a separate default... especially for exteriors.

12 minutes ago, DzinEye said:

Thank you Scott.  It appears then that there is not a way to have a different default Cantilever Underside material from the rooms ceilling finish material.  Would be nice to have that broken out as a separate default... especially for exteriors.

Shouldn't a cantilever material also have a thickness as well? A cantilever is pretty common and should have an automatic function built into Chief. It should not require polyline solids, 3d moldings, editing the wall polyline, adjusting the height of corner boards, etc, etc, etc!

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, scottharris said:

You can set that default in the Ceiling Finish Definition.  In the attached screen shot, it’s using ‘storm’.  Change it here to what you want for the initial material.

Ceiling Finish Definition.png

Chief sure comes up with some weird Defaults ....when is a Cantilever a ceiling ? and why would it be a Zero thickness paint layer ? ( which ALWAYS shows Z-fighting in 3D )

it only took what 10 yrs? to get a Polyline solid default that didn't use the Foundation material by default, so don't hold your breathe Mark :)

2 hours ago, DzinEye said:

Would be nice to have that broken out as a separate default... especially for exteriors.

AMEN to that......

2 hours ago, robdyck said:

Shouldn't a cantilever material also have a thickness as well? A cantilever is pretty common and should have an automatic function built into Chief. It should not require polyline solids, 3d moldings, editing the wall polyline, adjusting the height of corner boards, etc, etc, etc!

Exactly....

M.

3 hours ago, Kbird1 said:

Chief sure comes up with some weird Defaults ....when is a Cantilever a ceiling ?

Definitely way waaaay less common than an exterior one.  

3 hours ago, Kbird1 said:

and why would it be a Zero thickness paint layer ?

I have to be honest, I was a bit bamboozled by this part of Scott's response.  Like you, at first I thought that he was suggesting that we can add a cantilever material by adding another material to the ceiling finish default... but that doesn't make sense, so I decided that he just means whatever we set for the default ceiling finish is what shows up as the default 'cantilever underside' finish.  

6 hours ago, robdyck said:

Shouldn't a cantilever material also have a thickness as well? A cantilever is pretty common and should have an automatic function built into Chief.

Absolutely