Bug Discovered - If you are missing casing on your windows that meet at a corner, here is why

AvoyeDesign

This may have been reported and discussed before, but I've searched the forum and had no results.  I have found this bug using X10 and have confirmed that it also occurs in X13.

When I bump two windows together at a corner, so that the windows are tight to the inside finish layer of the wall, I sometimes find that the interior and/or exterior casing of one or both windows does not generate.  I did some investigation and found the cause.  If a floor or roof beam intersects the wall at the corner, this causes the casing to glitch.  The bottom of the beam must be 1/16" above the top of the wall or the top of the beam 1/16" below the bottom of the wall for the casing to generate correctly.

I have submitted a detailed bug report to Cheif Architect Technical Support.  I just wanted to make a post here so anyone searching for answers might find this.  I've uploaded a plan that demonstrates the conditions I've described.

Untitled 7.jpg

Beam removes corner window casing.zip

1 hour ago, rgardner said:

Looks more like its the railing than the beam.  Did you try pulling the railing back an inch from the wall with a room divider ?

I went back to another plan that had this issue and in that case it WAS the railing, but only because I had a short railing wall that returned 90 degrees into the corner.  I did that because the railing was 6" past the corner (as was the wall below) and the railing wall type was only 3" thick.

On the plan that I took that screenshot from, the railing wall is 6" thick and is only 6" beyond the corner, and cheif manages to close the deck room without the need for that short railing return or stretching the exterior wall past the corner.

So it appears that both CAN be a culprit, but in my case for the plan I'm working on today it was the beam.

image.thumb.png.73e59cb3b23d7d12a49133e53a26f255.png

Any opening can cause this problem when it's center is closer to the end of the wall than the actual corner window. Some objects, like rooms and beams, can create an opening to help cut out some of the wall surfaces.

We have it logged, but it's currently pretty low on the priority list.

List of openings (what can cause this issue):

- Window

- Door

- Wall niche

- Bump out window (bow/bay/box window)

- Pier/pad

- Wall hatching

- Wall cutout (helper opening)

On 12/10/2021 at 2:52 PM, JacobB said:

image.thumb.png.73e59cb3b23d7d12a49133e53a26f255.png

Any opening can cause this problem when it's center is closer to the end of the wall than the actual corner window. Some objects, like rooms and beams, can create an opening to help cut out some of the wall surfaces.

We have it logged, but it's currently pretty low on the priority list.

List of openings (what can cause this issue):

- Window

- Door

- Wall niche

- Bump out window (bow/bay/box window)

- Pier/pad

- Wall hatching

Thanks Jacob.

Were you able to reproduce how this is caused by a beam intersecting the wall where normally the casing will generate properly?

2 hours ago, AvoyeDesign said:

Were you able to reproduce how this is caused by a beam intersecting the wall where normally the casing will generate properly?

On 12/10/2021 at 2:52 PM, JacobB said:

Some objects, like rooms and beams, can create an opening to help cut out some of the wall surfaces.

. . .