What To Do When a Plan Becomes 'Unworkable' in Chief?

HumbleChief

I've hit this wall many many times in Chief with no solution I've been able to discover. This plan now takes 18 second between any structural operation. Literally unworkable at this stage in the plan's development. I'll post a drop box link if someone's curious enough to open the plan and see what I might be missing. Thank you very much in advance.

Drop Box Link   https://www.dropbox.com/s/203u2ebda627ny5/UNWORKABLE PLAN.plan?dl=0

For what it's worth, I opened and moved some furniture around, moved a couple rafters and joists, took some camera view, etc in plan view no hangups at all. Having said that, there were a bunch of materials that didn't come with the file, so perhaps the problem is a material, custom or otherwise, that you are using that is causing the issue.

When I take a 3D vector view and move a roof plan, it would take around 20 seconds to stop spinning. The roof material/pattern may be the issue. When I move a piece of furniture in 3D don't have that issue.

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, joey_martin said:

For what it's worth, I opened and moved some furniture around, moved a couple rafters and joists, took some camera view, etc in plan view no hangups at all. Having said that, there were a bunch of materials that didn't come with the file, so perhaps the problem is a material, custom or otherwise, that you are using that is causing the issue.

When I take a 3D vector view and move a roof plan, it would take around 20 seconds to stop spinning. The roof material/pattern may be the issue. When I move a piece of furniture in 3D don't have that issue.

I turned off auto framing roof/floor and it's back to workable. THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!

Looks like Auto Frame was the culprit.  Although you do have a lot of symbols - decor etc. and a rather high surface count 4.5 M

My results were actually similar to yours, about 15-16 seconds for a structure adjustment and 30 sec to generate a 3D view.

I guess I will be keeping my old computer set up as it is for a while longer. :(

• Upvote 1

REALLY appreciate the feedback and perhaps this was the problem in previous plans as well? I'm going to call it user error but hope this helps someone in the future. Also Joey, Dermot I think some materials/patterns/textures didn't make it from the previous plan and the new install to the new hard drive. I'll explore those as well and make sure they are at least available or replaced for this plan.

Again, can't thank you guys enough, that has made me crazy for a while.

20 minutes ago, Chopsaw said:

Looks like Auto Frame was the culprit.  Although you do have a lot of symbols - decor etc. and a rather high surface count 4.5 M

My results were actually similar to yours, about 15-16 seconds for a structure adjustment and 30 sec to generate a 3D view.

I guess I will be keeping my old computer set up the was it is for a while longer. :(

Yeah Chop I keep trying to get better performance from upgrades like that new M.2 hard drive but the performance stays pretty much the same, or is a small enough speed increase to be questionable as a purchase and upgrade. Of course that doesn't apply to older way underpowered rigs but if you've got a decent modern rig the upgrades to performance seem incremental and quite small.

Larry, I made a symbol out of the terrain and roads, then turned off those layers. That dropped the time for a perspective full overview from 20 seconds to 1 second.

I also removed the normal map from the terrain perimeter texture. All views now generate in 1 second.

2 minutes ago, robdyck said:

Larry, I made a symbol out of the terrain and roads, then turned off those layers. That dropped the time for a perspective full overview from 20 seconds to 1 second.

I also removed the normal map from the terrain perimeter texture. All views now generate in 1 second.

VERY helpful and will remember this for the future.