LIne thicknesses on RTRT ?

dskogg

Render line thickness control?  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Do we need more control to make line thickness thinner over renders?

• I dont use lines over renders much.
    • Its about right now.
    • Its too thick now at line thickness 1.

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/09/21 at 02:16 AM

I'd be interested in seeing a lighter line weight option, though I'm wondering if a lighter weight line would take away from the "casual feel" of the render.  I have never used line weight 2 or higher as I don't like the look.  Just for a visual aid to compare line weights, for those who don't use this feature very often, I did a quick view of a remodel I'm working on with line weights at 1, then 2 and 5.  So not quite sure how to answer your survey as weight 1 may be about right, but I wouldn't know if I'd like a lighter weight until I saw it.

I do use the line over feature (currently always set to 1 and black) and really like it, though I can't use it now as often as I'd like because the trees & bushes become ugly dark blobs, as you can see in this sample view.

2021 12 01 Line Wt 1.JPG

2021 12 01 Line Wt 2.JPG

2021 12 01 Line Wt 5.JPG

44 minutes ago, Christina_Girerd said:

I do use the line over feature (currently always set to 1 and black) and really like it, though I can't use it now as often as I'd like because the trees & bushes become ugly dark blobs, as you can see in this sample view.

OOF! they need a tool to auto-cut models to a clipping mask or auto vector to clipping so that the tress dont look so ridiculous!

I too prefer the look before Full Release , it almost looks "cartoonish" now over a Standard Render ,

which was helpful for the Cabinet Shop for example to better see the "Vision" as a White Kitchen or

the opposite is Walnut or Wenge , cabinets would blend together in 3D views creating querstions.

M.

I do think a slightly lighter line weight would be helpful.  But depending on the colors a dark gray instead of black does seem to look nice.  All depends on the scheme.  And yes much prefer the beta over the full release for those plants...

image.thumb.png.2c9643c88b7351a9d37fadd2a4cfcacd.png 

This is with the dark gray line overlay.  As you can see it is a basic rendering and I don't bother to put in plants because I know what it will look like.

7 hours ago, Christina_Girerd said:

I like the line weight of the beta that Robert posted - much nicer! 

And FYI, I long ago put in bug reports about the bush/tree line mess.

Unfortunately it’s not a bug. When modeling a tree It is an industry standard to use a single plane and apply an image with a clipping mask for all leaves. The line option simply takes the vector bounds of that plane. It’s not a programming issue then, it’s a modeling issue with that particular catalog, and still I wouldn’t consider it a bug. Easies way around it would be in SketchUp IMO. You would use the tool that would allow you to trace the leaf and cut away the excess(trim the hedges?);)

I think we need to be careful here in what gets requested.  Yes the line weights need to be finer and we need to have more control over them but simply putting it back to the way is was is not acceptable either as there was no correlation to the way it looked on your screen and the way it would render.  If you wanted something that looked great when it was rendered you needed to have a line weight setting in plan that was about 20x the proper setting as compared to X12 settings and it looked like a chisel tip marker had been used.  So if you ever needed to do an on screen presentation it would require resetting all of your line weights or showing a client an embarrassing mess.  There was a quick patch applied but it needs to be fixed properly rather than just removing the patch so that there is a proper graphic representation provided on our screens as well as printed or digital presentations.

31 minutes ago, Chopsaw said:

I think we need to be careful here is what gets requested.  Yes the line weights need to be finer and we need to have more control over them but simply putting it back to the way is was is not acceptable either as there was no correlation to the way it looked on your screen and the way it would render.  If you wanted something that looked great when it was rendered you needed to have a line weight setting in plan that was about 20x the proper setting as compared to X12 settings and it looked like a chisel tip marker had been used.  So if you ever needed to do an on screen presentation it would require resetting all of your line weights or showing a client an embarrassing mess.  There was a quick patch applied but it needs to be fixed properly rather than just removing the patch so that there is a proper graphic representation provided on our screens as well as printed or digital presentations.

I agree with you. And if I'm not mistaken this issue still exists when using an elevation view that utilizes a rendering style with line drawing displayed.

Below are 2 comparisons showing the on-screen and a pdf. Watercolor technique with line drawing weight of 5. I had to guess and check my way to a decent pdf. 

PDF:  image.thumb.png.89f2633fa22d73bba0ed03bc06b4efc3.png

On Screen:  image.thumb.png.f7d08782bf692310ae1f0b95ad20a63b.png

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, robdyck said:

I agree with you. And if I'm not mistaken this issue still exists when using an elevation view that utilizes a rendering style with line drawing displayed.

Below are 2 comparisons showing the on-screen and a pdf. Watercolor technique with line drawing weight of 5. I had to guess and check my way to a decent pdf. 

Yes that is what I remember from all views before.  If you were to send that in it might encourage them to have another look at the situation and possibly get it right this time for X14.

Just now, Chopsaw said:

Yes that is what I remember from all views before.  If you were to send that in it might encourage them to have another look at the situation and possibly get it right this time for X14.

You crack me up!

Cosmo Kramer Laughing Kramer GIF - Cosmo Kramer Laughing Kramer Seinfeld  Reaction - Discover & Share GIFs

Rene - thanks for the suggestion of sketch-up to deal with the bushes.  You are right the issue isn't technically a "bug" - I just used the term since I think of making a "bug report." I would have probably listed it as a "usability" issue.  I think I suggested that the content team make a few generic bushes and trees of different shapes that would look good when the line overlay was applied as a possible fix. 

1 minute ago, dskogg said:

i was hoping that enough of us think it is a problem then CA might look at adjusting now...not x14, as it came out in x13 and was never properly fixed...

I think we have most likely seen all the updates that are going to happen in X13 so we are right back to Kramer having a little too much wine. 

5 hours ago, dskogg said:

i was hoping that enough of us think it is a problem then CA might look at adjusting now...not x14, as it came out in x13 and was never properly fixed...

It’s December bro.  It’s beta time.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, rgardner said:

It’s December bro.  It’s beta time.

I hope not since there are still too many issues with X13...... including this, the 3D WebViewer Issues and all the Black Flashing in Layout etc.

M.

• Upvote 1