Can a Chief Architect drawing be turned into a CAD drawing?

AC-Projects

26 minutes ago, PMMully said:

How robust is the out of the box experience with this overall? My truss company would love to see this as well.

Can you quantify that question?  Have you tried the suggestion?  It exports a dwg just like any other cad program because it is a cad program.

I work with a couple of engineers. Make sure you ask them what layers sets they are after. Make sure you export to their desired AutoCAD version. New guys I work with do not respond to the question of what layer sets they wish. Gets an all on version. Let them sort it out. Truss guys around here get paid by the hour they do not seem to be interested in taking exports. LOL 

Interesting about the export from layout. Will it give you any control over layers? Is it just a set of lines?

• Upvote 1

Another approach is to use a PDF conversion program and send them both the PDF from a Chief Layout page as well as a DWG file of that page that you created from a program such as PDF to CAD, about $99.00.  There are probably other less expensive options, but this one has been around for a while and it works.

I have found that having your own PDF converter is very handy if and when you want to work with a DWG file in either AutoCAD or another CAD program that uses that file format and alI you have is a photocopy or a PDF file available.  Scan it to PDF, Convert it to DWG and then you will probably need to scale it as well so having some sort of dimensions is very helpful.

BTW, if someone is telling you they have to have the file in exactly the format they work with and set up the exact way they work with it, then that tells you something about their computer skills in general.  From my experience, this is usually from self-proclaimed experts who are generally a bit antiquated in other skill sets as well.  As in, why don't they have the ability to convert a PDF to CAD themselves.

• Upvote 1