X13 Internal Rendering Error & Crash

Kadoyle8

Finally, some good news...  NVIDIA has identified a problem that we think is causing the random but frequent "device removed" error messages on Windows 11 using any 3000 series video card.  They are working on an update for the video card drivers.  Not sure about the ETA though so we are still looking into whether or not there is a reliable workaround for this problem.  Hopefully, this will be resolved pretty soon.

Please remember that all "device removed" error messages are not necessarily caused by the same problems. 

The "device removed" error message is a very generic error message that only really means that there was some kind of low level error that occurred while we were trying to generate the view. These can be caused by a wide variety of system problems, video card driver bugs, and bugs in Chief itself.  

Please report all repeatable "device removed" error messages using any other OS or video card series directly to our tech support team:

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/

1 hour ago, Dermot said:

Finally, some good news...  NVIDIA has identified a problem that we think is causing the random but frequent "device removed" error messages on Windows 11 using any 3000 series video card. 

Good news for some of us, but there is the same problem with GTX cards as well, such as my GTX970 running on Windows 10 64b Pro.  Hopefully, they will solve that issue too.

As much of a pain and disappointment it is with all these crashes, even after buying a $3k computer with a 3080 card and plenty of power, I must say, the one good thing about X13 is I never lose more than 5 minutes of work. I don't mind redoing the last command but multiple times a day is unacceptable. I can only hope we don't have to "baby" the upcoming releases. As a paying customer I feel we can be a little irritated with this without getting grilled. X12 was the best ever in my opinion.

It's been a week since I updated to Windows 11 and updated the NVIDIA 3080 Ti 12GB video card to driver 565.11 game ready version.

No crashes.  Everything is very stable.

The computer is a month old.

MSI Desktop 

Originally shipped with Windows 10 Home

Intel i7-11700K processor

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti 12GB

64GB DDR4 RAM

Dual 27" Monitors = BenQ PD2705Q

2TB NVMe SSD

2TB HDD

6TB HDD

2 hours ago, DRAWZILLA said:

did you guys download the latest hot fix 511.72, it seems to have worked for me. also turn off Nahimic services

From what I can tell, the most recent driver for GeForce RTX 3080 is 511.65.

Where did you find 511.72 or are you just  messing with us?!

I've got Nahimic permanently stopped.

3 hours ago, robdyck said:

Thank-you! Hopefully this helps. 

It appears as though this update is working! I've been working in the dark for the past 3 months, so it's nice to be able to open a camera view again and see what I've been up to.

I can even use the library browser with previews!

Can't help having happy tears. - GIF on Imgur

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

NVidia released a new Game Ready driver yesterday (2/14/2022 version 511.79) that appears to help with the frequent "device removed" error messages on Windows 11.  If you are  experiencing these error messages while using an NVidia RTX 30 series card with Windows 11 we encourage you to download and use this latest driver.

You can find the driver here:

https://www.nvidia.com/Download/driverResults.aspx/187098/en-us

Please remember that all "device removed" error messages are not necessarily caused by the same problems. 

The "device removed" error message is a very generic error message that only really means that there was some kind of low level error that occurred while we were trying to generate the view. These can be caused by a wide variety of system problems, video card driver bugs, and bugs in Chief itself.  

If you continue to have problems with "device removed" error messages, please report them directly to our tech support team:

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Renerabbitt said:

To the people that are having crashes, I mentioned this early on. Are you crashing using a brand new, non-migrated X-13 OOTB template? 
i haven’t had a single crash since changing to a new template, and it’s been months and months that I’ve been on it.

I want to 2nd Rene’s suggestion to start with a new template. I have had zero crashes since I took Rene’s suggestion a couple weeks ago.

2 hours ago, Renerabbitt said:

To the people that are having crashes, I mentioned this early on. Are you crashing using a brand new, non-migrated X-13 OOTB template? 
i haven’t had a single crash since changing to a new template, and it’s been months and months that I’ve been on it.

I have not created a new template. But I have gotten the same crashes when using Chief's Residential Template.

1 hour ago, robdyck said:

I have not created a new template. But I have gotten the same crashes when using Chief's Residential Template.

Could be a very high possibility that you are opening a Migrated Residential Template
I would encourage you to try again with current drivers
Also encourage resetting all nvidia profiles.
I have 6 machines running X-13 without a problem now.

49 minutes ago, Renerabbitt said:

Could be a very high possibility that you are opening a Migrated Residential Template
I would encourage you to try again with current drivers
Also encourage resetting all nvidia profiles.
I have 6 machines running X-13 without a problem now.

Can you comment on how to reset nvidia profiles; what do you mean?

And how would we ensure that the templates are not migrated ones? 

Thanks! 

9 minutes ago, jakerf said:

Can you comment on how to reset nvidia profiles; what do you mean?

Thanks! 

image.thumb.png.297dafce72948b09f9533d7a2482baf0.png
image.thumb.png.76dacc57eccc47a022b1d7c24f47a998.png
As for Chief, there may be another way but the only way I know of is installing, without migration, then making a copy of the templates folder, and attempt a migration. After migration, overwrite the template folder with the one that you saved. Then all you need to do is import defaults, spv's and copy over CAD details and save as template to create your user-modified template.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Renerabbitt said:

image.thumb.png.297dafce72948b09f9533d7a2482baf0.png
image.thumb.png.76dacc57eccc47a022b1d7c24f47a998.png
As for Chief, there may be another way but the only way I know of is installing, without migration, then making a copy of the templates folder, and attempt a migration. After migration, overwrite the template folder with the one that you saved. Then all you need to do is import defaults, spv's and copy over CAD details and save as template to create your user-modified template.

Thank you so much for your help and explanation! 

5 hours ago, jakerf said:

Chief always has a backup copy of the Templates in the Program's Install Folder in case it needs to replace the Default Templates in the Chief Data folder at any time.

C:\Program Files\Chief Architect\Chief Architect Premier X13\Templates.

( the version you are using/need ^^^ )

Mick.

• Upvote 1

We have no reports or any evidence that there are any problems that are the result of using older templates.

That said, if you want to ensure that you are using the latest X13 template plans, you can just rename the templates folder in your user data folder to something like "templates (old)".  When you start Chief the program will automatically create a new templates folder and copy the installed templates into it.

Have any of you notice something strange with the auto-save feature before one of the dreaded device removed crash.  It seems to me that auto-save stops working at some point prior to the crash.  It may be that there are a few things going wrong with the program's functioning before the device removed crash occurs.  

The most frustrating thing is that this crash, that seems to be related to camera views, completely abends (makes the internal processes) stop entirely, except for the ability of the program to display the crash notice.  There is no way to do a save.  The exit is fatal to anything that you did from the last time that you opened the plan and layout file.

Thoughts and observations anyone?

50 minutes ago, Doug_N said:

Have any of you notice something strange with the auto-save feature

Yes , I have posted about it before , in fact I am in the middle of another 5-9 min Freeze , ( 4 time this morning ) right now , so thought I'd come to the Forum.  Doesn't happen just with Auto save though, also when I Ctrl-S or use another method to save the Plan or Layout. 

* No 3D crashes in my case ....... I seem to only get those in Plans brought forward from earlier Versions despite Dermot's claims.

** Well this might be a new record , I think this one is a hard crash 22 mins in now and still locked up

image.thumb.png.d06cb7bdb8fdc84de1ea79d2694dfaba.png

well it lasted 23:36mins......

Capture9.thumb.PNG.13e7fe7a96e2e9a575eb13a7cf95f263.PNG

So , I figured I should Reboot the computer and tried to save the Plan ( above was a layout save) and it went straight back into lockdown ...just waiting on it now...

image.thumb.png.bd718dc07232ca1ee9fd7d0dba002638.png

yah...only 6:42 for this one....sheesh...

Capture2.thumb.PNG.52236ce8070cf03b2173d2d66b19eaa9.PNG

Mick