X13 Internal Rendering Error & Crash

Kadoyle8

On 1/11/2022 at 5:25 PM, Dermot said:

We have had some mixed results with this new driver.  Scott obviously had better results which is why he posted.  Our testing team found that on one of their machines they had worse results (as in more frequent errors).  If you download the latest driver and see worse problems, you might need to roll back to an older one.

We are still working with Nvidia to get a better solution.

Well, I've been reporting this 'Device Removed' problem for a few months now and I'm using a GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER (Windows 10) and have been feeling no joy since upgrading to x13.  I used to work in the s/w business so understand the complexities surrounding such issues.  However, my productivity is falling through the floor as EVERY time I load up a camera view I get a full system crash after simply viewing and rotating the model in perspective view.  There is a much deeper issue here and I suspect it is a CA issue...if I had a dime for every time there is a memory leak in software development...

• Like 1

12 hours ago, stephenbc said:

Well, I've been reporting this 'Device Removed' problem for a few months now and I'm using a GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER (Windows 10) and have been feeling no joy since upgrading to x13.  I used to work in the s/w business so understand the complexities surrounding such issues.  However, my productivity is falling through the floor as EVERY time I load up a camera view I get a full system crash after simply viewing and rotating the model in perspective view.  There is a much deeper issue here and I suspect it is a CA issue...if I had a dime for every time there is a memory leak in software development...

Yes it seems CA is focused on the combo of X13, 3000 series Nvidia cards and Windows 11 and it isn't the case for many on the Forum  I also have the 2070 in my Laptop but mostly use my Desktop nowadays which has Win10 and a 3080 , and I usually see crashes opening 3D views in X12 started Plans , which thankfully are becoming fewer and fewer but I just opened a plan off the Forum this morning which turned out to be from X12 which crashed the computer and generated a 2.3GB Crashdump file.... when I clicked on the Full Overview Camera button all 3 monitors turned off instantly with no signal and would not comeback on...... and I am pretty sure it's not the plan file in particular or the OP wouldn't of been able to work on it....

https://chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com/topic/33121-stem-wall-not-cutting-away-when-adding-garage-door/?tab=comments#comment-259256

*** Driver Version 511.17 in use.

I renewed SSA and bought a new $3,800 Windows computer with 3080 Ti, 12 GB VRAM  Jan.2, just so I could RTRT.

It 's a pain not being able to upgrade to Windows 11.

I get upgrade messages every time I turn it on.  I have to be careful not to shutdown or restart with updates.

The good news is, I'm happy with the computer, Windows 10 and RTRT.

• 2 weeks later...

This isn't only a Windows 11 issue - i first started having these issues in Windows 10, and in fact moving to Windows 11 helped initially.  Now, its happening again.  I have a 3090.

I have noticed inconsistency where if I don't have an option (greyed out) for Physically Based Render the crash won't happen.  When Physically Based Render is an option on the render I have a high likelihood of a crash....and I've also noticed it happens to me only on files or templates started pre-X13.  I've not had the crash happen (to me) in files originated 100% in X13.

15 hours ago, johnny said:

This isn't only a Windows 11 issue - i first started having these issues in Windows 10, and in fact moving to Windows 11 helped initially.  Now, its happening again.  I have a 3090.

I have noticed inconsistency where if I don't have an option (greyed out) for Physically Based Render the crash won't happen.  When Physically Based Render is an option on the render I have a high likelihood of a crash....and I've also noticed it happens to me only on files or templates started pre-X13.  I've not had the crash happen (to me) in files originated 100% in X13.

Wow, that's interesting since all the  templates I use are custom and old, probably X11.

On 12/1/2021 at 12:16 PM, Dermot said:

Recently, we have been getting a number of reports of "device removed" error messages specifically having to do with Windows 11 and NVIDIA 3000 series video cards.  Unfortunately, we have been having trouble reliably duplicating these errors in house.  Just yesterday one of our developers was able to duplicate this problem for awhile but then it mysteriously stopped happening and we don't know why yet. 

At this point, we are still not sure if the problem is a Chief problem or a device driver problem.  It could also be the result of some 3rd party software that is interfering with how Chief interacts with the video card.  You might be able to help us by providing us with more detailed information.

If you are experiencing these problems, then please contact our technical support team during our normal business hours.  You will need to provide them with some specific information about your system so that we can try determine what the common denominator is for the people that are experiencing this.  If the problem has started or stopped happening after making any changes to your system, then let us know this as well.

You can contact technical support here:

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/#contact

We apologize for any inconvenience that this is causing.  Please be assured that resolving these problems is our top priority.

Fyi this error plagues a lot of software. Not just ChiefArchitect . 

Have you guys tried to set TdrLevel to 0. Many times it helps/

BT

21 hours ago, johnny said:

and I've also noticed it happens to me only on files or templates started pre-X13.  I've not had the crash happen (to me) in files originated 100% in X13.

This is also my experience to date with the "Lost Device Error" on Win10 and a 3080 though I occassionaly get a "invalid parameter" Error in 3D as well

Capture3.thumb.JPG.22b9a9d9e2dd63804bf0bc582c778797.JPG

I am also having issues though with Chief locking up for 3-9 mins randomly, which is a major time waster.

While trying to find the issue with Task Manager etc I noticed Chief was actually trying to do an Autosave with the file being stuck at 0kb until it finally recovers , coincidence I don't know? But I have decided to reinstall Chief this weekend with the hope next week will be less problematic.

Capture2.thumb.JPG.fe66b6d7acf36a73a886abd38e727c01.JPG

Mick.

2 hours ago, Kbird1 said:

This is also my experience to date with the "Lost Device Error" on Win10 and a 3080 though I occassionaly get a "invalid parameter" Error in 3D as well

Capture3.thumb.JPG.22b9a9d9e2dd63804bf0bc582c778797.JPG

I am also having issues though with Chief locking up for 3-9 mins randomly, which is a major time waster.

While trying to find the issue with Task Manager etc I noticed Chief was actually trying to do an Autosave with the file being stuck at 0kb until it finally recovers , coincidence I don't know? But I have decided to reinstall Chief this weekend with the hope next week will be less problematic.

Capture2.thumb.JPG.fe66b6d7acf36a73a886abd38e727c01.JPG

Mick.

But out of curiosity are you having that with files FULLY originating from a X13 template?  I have it happen a lot with files started pre-X13 but not once with post-x13.

7 hours ago, BrownTiger said:

Fyi this error plagues a lot of software. Not just ChiefArchitect . 

Have you guys tried to set TdrLevel to 0. Many times it helps/

BT

I use a lot of software - and it hasn't happened one time other than Chief.

How do you set the TdrLevel tp 0? 

9 hours ago, johnny said:

But out of curiosity are you having that with files FULLY originating from a X13 template?  I have it happen a lot with files started pre-X13 but not once with post-x13.

Since Beta , I've had Issues with X12 plans in X13 ......totally X13 plans seem ok as far as this 3D Error, not sure what is cause the random lockups though as those plans I believe are ALL X13.

I have never seen a Nvidia Driver lockup , so am not if the TDR Fix will help? , but I do not, like you, see Errors in other Programs with 3D or otherwise.

M.

5 hours ago, Kbird1 said:

.totally X13 plans seem ok as far as this 3D Error,

are they X12 templates upgraded to X13 and then plan file saved from there, or only on plans created from a template originating in X13.

I'm only wondering because when X13 came out I asked if people were actually rebuilding templates in X13 and all I heard was crickets

2 hours ago, SH_Canada said:

I'm only wondering because when X13 came out I asked if people were actually rebuilding templates in X13 and all I heard was crickets

That has always been Chief advice ...to rebuild all Templates with each version upgrade..... but it can be ALOT of work, and sometimes you can get away with it , but there are alot of changes under the hood in x13 including Dimensioning and the new Graphics engine.

M.

Well not sure but I’ve been having this issue on windows 11 on both my pcs with a 3080 and one with a 3090 and tried all kinds of stuff but I MAY have something.  I went into graphics settings if you just type it into the windows 11 search and then go to default graphics settings and disable hardware accelerated gpu scheduling and I have not had a crash for 3 hours now and on top of that I’m not getting the weird lag I was getting before the first time I opened a render since updating to windows 11.  Hope it’s not a fluke but right now it’s working good.

14 minutes ago, RodBrown said:

Well not sure but I’ve been having this issue on windows 11 on both my pcs with a 3080 and one with a 3090 and tried all kinds of stuff but I MAY have something.  I went into graphics settings if you just type it into the windows 11 search and then go to default graphics settings and disable hardware accelerated gpu scheduling and I have not had a crash for 3 hours now and on top of that I’m not getting the weird lag I was getting before the first time I opened a render since updating to windows 11.  Hope it’s not a fluke but right now it’s working good.

Thank you Rod for this, but wanted to report that I tried this it crashed within seconds on my 3080 system, windows 11. Hoping Chief can chime in here soon on this. After calling Tech support a couple times and using their suggestions, I haven't been able to fix the issues and it seems like I may be at the mercy of Nvidia and/or Chief for the time being.

Yeah it’s weird because it did not work in my other pc but on this one if I turn it back on I crash.  I was checking any differences in setting between the 2 and the only thing I see is Gsync is disabled on this pc.   So I’m going to test that I guess.  I have the very latest drivers on both pcs.

For those of you having this problem on plans specifically brought in from previous software versions, it is really really easy to migrate your plan to a new blank X-13 template using edit area paste hold and importing floor defaults. Would that solve the issue?

I purchased a new laptop 3080 Windows 11. Have had it for a week now and was super frustrated with this crashing issue!
I have drawn new houses in X13 and it still crashes when I go to camera mode.
I think the next thing i'll do is to down grade to windows 10 and possibly go cry about how much time i am spending on trying to fix this issue.

On 1/31/2022 at 11:08 AM, Renerabbitt said:

For those of you having this problem on plans specifically brought in from previous software versions, it is really really easy to migrate your plan to a new blank X-13 template using edit area paste hold and importing floor defaults. Would that solve the issue?

Rene,

I tried the camera view on a fresh X13 plan and it crashed within 10 seconds. I tried a few things, deleting all components from plan and redrawing walls and it crashed. It is odd, because there are a few plans that I had to make revisions in, and the camera view will work for 10-20 minutes. I am able to get a few RTRT photos exported, and then eventually it crashes.

29 minutes ago, wazzubrad said:

Rene,

I tried the camera view on a fresh X13 plan and it crashed within 10 seconds. I tried a few things, deleting all components from plan and redrawing walls and it crashed. It is odd, because there are a few plans that I had to make revisions in, and the camera view will work for 10-20 minutes. I am able to get a few RTRT photos exported, and then eventually it crashes.

Just to be clear, what is the error that is occuring?
Also for clarity, you are on the newest gfx drivers?
Does a crash occur on a default OOTB template?

14 minutes ago, Renerabbitt said:

Just to be clear, what is the error that is occuring?
Also for clarity, you are on the newest gfx drivers?
Does a crash occur on a default OOTB template?

Rene,

Here is the error;

image.thumb.png.e146ba1a0c550bbb7d3ee9526e932fb8.png

NVIDIA just released a new drive and I just finished updating;

image.thumb.png.82292092b09f3213dd8a29306ece3d65.png

Using this new driver, I have not been able to crash CA using the OOTB template. So far so good there. The only plan I could get it to crash was a camera view in a plan I created based on my X12 template. I tried a few X13 plans and I couldn't get it to crash.

NVIDIA just released a new Game Ready driver. I would suggest updating and reporting if you have any issues. CA camera views seem to be working without crashing in my newer plans. If I open up a plan based on my X12 template, it does crash, but my X13 plans seem to be working so far without a crash.

image.thumb.png.7df23674572ab0c03ecbde14366a01b4.png

5 minutes ago, wazzubrad said:

I tried a few X13 plans and I couldn't get it to crash.

Aside from CAD details we can transfer everything from your X-12 template plan to a fresh new X-13 plan. A transfer specifically as opposed to a conversion. This should stop any issues.