X13 Internal Rendering Error & Crash

Kadoyle8

Regarding the random but frequent "device removed" error messages using Nvidia 3000 series cards on Windows 11, we have been working with Nvidia on this and they have confirmed that they have been able to duplicate the problems.  They told us they would be looking into it more "after the holidays" so hopefully they will let us know soon.

I've had (2) CA crashes when choosing a 3D camera view on my week old, max'd out MacBook Pro M1 Max.

I allowed the diagnostics to be sent out (to apple or chief, not sure)

I wasn't doing anything hard.  I just wanted to view the structure in dollhouse and it locked up chief.

I have an I9, MSI Laptop w/ a 3070 GPU and Windows 11.  I too frequently see the 3D ‘device removed’ error.  In working with our testing & engineering groups, we believe this is a video driver issue from NVIDIA on the 3xxx GPUs in Windows 11.  NVIDIA is working on it (maybe too slowly).  I finally moved my laptop to Windows 10 and so far have not seen the issue.  Moving to Windows 10 was not ideal, but I also had other performance issues that appear to be solved with Windows 10.

On 1/3/2022 at 2:01 PM, Dermot said:

Regarding the random but frequent "device removed" error messages using Nvidia 3000 series cards on Windows 11, we have been working with Nvidia on this and they have confirmed that they have been able to duplicate the problems.  They told us they would be looking into it more "after the holidays" so hopefully they will let us know soon.

Thank you for this updated. It has indeed been frustrating. I upgraded to 11 a few weeks ago and each day it's been crashing a few times while working, I now have the habit of manually hitting save every minute.

I've completely wiped out all graphics drivers and clean installed them, turned off TDR after bumping up the delay, disabled nahimic and blackisted chief, just looks like it's out of my hands. Happens regardless of the plan I happen to be working on at the time.

Please continue to update us! I don't see why this would help, but I grabbed a quick recording of it crashing.

EDIT: 4 crashes within the past 3 hours.

Any update on this? I bought a brand new HP Omen with a NVIDIA 3070 over the weekend and installed X13 on it. After building a simple model and adding a few materials the software kept crashing with this error. If this isn’t something NVIDIA can fix in a relative amount of time, I need to return this laptop ASAP before the 14 day trial is over. I have client projects I’m working on and now I’m stuck with no way to produce these drawings. 

19 hours ago, LuxeInteriorArch said:

Any update on this? I bought a brand new HP Omen with a NVIDIA 3070 over the weekend and installed X13 on it. After building a simple model and adding a few materials the software kept crashing with this error. If this isn’t something NVIDIA can fix in a relative amount of time, I need to return this laptop ASAP before the 14 day trial is over. I have client projects I’m working on and now I’m stuck with no way to produce these drawings. 

Downgrade to Windows 10, I did right after my comment prior to yours and it hasn’t crashed since. 

• Like 1

My comments here are only about using an Nvidia 3000 series video card on a Windows 11 machine.  If you experiencing any problems using a different OS or a different video card, then please contact our technical support team to report your problems.

There are no updates since my post on Monday.  We are still waiting on Nvidia to either release a new driver or tell us what we can do to avoid these problems.  There is not much else we can do other than keep bugging them.  The only other thing I can suggest is downgrading to Windows 10 until then.

17 hours ago, Dermot said:

These comments are only about using an Nvidia 3000 series video card on a Windows 11 machine.  If you experiencing any problems using a different OS or a different video card, then please contact our technical support team to report your problems.

That's not true - I began having the problem on Windows 10, not 11. I have had it on two laptops - an MSI with 3070 8gb GPU, which started with Windows 10 and was later upgraded to 11, and a Razer Blade Pro with 3080 8gb GPU, running Windows 11 right out of the box.

That's not true - I began having the problem on Windows 10, not 11

I believe everything I have posted is 100% true. Regardless, I tweaked the wording slightly to try and make it more clear but maybe you missed this prior post?

Just to be clear, all "device removed" error messages are not necessarily caused by the same problems. 

The "device removed" error message is a very generic error message that only really means that there was some kind of low level error that occurred while we were trying to generate the view. These can be caused by a wide variety of system problems, video card driver bugs, and bugs in Chief itself.  

My posts above were specifically about frequent and random "device removed" error messages while using an Nvidia 3000 series card on Windows 11. Any problems using some other OS or some other video card are probably not related. 

Please report all repeatable "device removed" error messages directly to our tech support team regardless of what video card or OS you are using:

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/

If any of my posts are not clear, then please try to ask clarifying questions before you question their validity.

• Upvote 1

This problem is so incredibly frustrating. I bought a brand new laptop going above all of the technical specs required by Chief, as I am a new Chief software customer and upgrading a business. I can hardly use the program at all without consistent, repeated crashing anytime I go to camera mode or any sort of 3D view. Feeling extremely discouraged as I have invested a significant financial commitment for a small business, and I can't use the program at all for what I need. Hoping the Chief and Nvidia teams can find a fix ASAP! Feels like I have bought a expensive new computer and an expensive new software and am not getting any return on investment. ARGH!

1 hour ago, JMcCabe said:

This problem is so incredibly frustrating. I bought a brand new laptop going above all of the technical specs required by Chief, as I am a new Chief software customer and upgrading a business. I can hardly use the program at all without consistent, repeated crashing anytime I go to camera mode or any sort of 3D view. Feeling extremely discouraged as I have invested a significant financial commitment for a small business, and I can't use the program at all for what I need. Hoping the Chief and Nvidia teams can find a fix ASAP! Feels like I have bought a expensive new computer and an expensive new software and am not getting any return on investment. ARGH!

You may have already done so but you can always call Chief Tech support (part of what the SSA covers) to rule out other issues at hand.  Sometimes with PCs and Windows in particular it is conflicting drivers or other issues.

18 hours ago, scottharris said:

NVIDIA posted a new driver today (Jan 10, 2022).  This may solve some of the driver issues related to the 3D ‘device removed’ error.  See the ‘studio driver’ 511.09 

At least for me 511.09 is a very slow Driver - frame Rate wise , it was released 1.4.22 not 1.10.22

The newer driver , at least for 3080 Series is 511.17 and was released today and my Frame Rates are back to normal.

https://www.nvidia.com/Download/Find.aspx?lang=en-us

image.thumb.png.137ab00b39d29f205c007f16ce4aee42.png

We have had some mixed results with this new driver.  Scott obviously had better results which is why he posted.  Our testing team found that on one of their machines they had worse results (as in more frequent errors).  If you download the latest driver and see worse problems, you might need to roll back to an older one.

We are still working with Nvidia to get a better solution.

1 hour ago, Dermot said:

We are still working with Nvidia to get a better solution.

Today's Driver release was because Nvidia released a new 3080 12GB Model today and works with the 3060Ti as well , but I am not sure about other Models, they are reportedly working on a new (full) release for the 14th I read elsewhere (EVGA Forum) too.

M.

Hmmm, with this new driver I wonder if I'll be able to consistently use a rendering technique other than Vector View? Perhaps the SSA price increase will provide Chief with the resources for improvements! I was actually expecting Chief to release X14 as a complimentary upgrade for all users with Alienware / Nvidia 3080 systems.

• Like 1
  • Downvote 2

7 hours ago, robdyck said:

Hmmm, with this new driver I wonder if I'll be able to consistently use a rendering technique other than Vector View? Perhaps the SSA price increase will provide Chief with the resources for improvements! I was actually expecting Chief to release X14 as a complimentary upgrade for all users with Alienware / Nvidia 3080 systems.

Did you look into the Nahimic Issue Rob ? I know many Dells use their software ( and Command Center) as do other computer manufacturers like Asus with my laptop where it was the issue too, though it is a year old now and only has a 2070 Super , not a 3080 , and I usually work on the Desktop these days , since being "mobile" ain't that safe.

Like you I feel like I wasted a bunch of Cash on new hardware this time around and think Astral was released a version too early, especially since X12 was looking real nice to most even in Standard View.

**Buy a few years of SSA while you can for a 5% off bonus.

M.

1 hour ago, Kbird1 said:

Did you look into the Nahimic Issue Rob

Yes, I have it permanently stopped. My experience has been that the crashes are unpredictable and random. I've been able to make some great RTRT renders with no issue, then at other times, Chief will crash repeatedly when selecting an electrical outlet from the library or generating a standard render. I appreciate the advice though, and your consistent posts about driver updates!

I have been dealing with this crashing issue for a couple months now and have tried all of the fixes listed above and found on the web without any luck on fixing it.

Ryzen 3900X & RTX 3060ti running Windows 11 & X13

This is incredibly frustrating and almost impossible to work with a 3D camera

Downgrading to Windows 10 seems to help, but isn't ideal when you need to stay up to date on Windows 11

Hopefully we receive a driver or fix as soon as possible

Screenshot 2022-01-14 130202.jpg

On 1/11/2022 at 7:30 PM, Kbird1 said:

Today's Driver release was because Nvidia released a new 3080 12GB Model today and works with the 3060Ti as well , but I am not sure about other Models, they are reportedly working on a new (full) release for the 14th I read elsewhere (EVGA Forum) too.

M.

Nvidia has released a new GR (Game Ready Driver) on the 14th as expected

Version 511.23

though lately due to "issues" Chief has been recommending the Studio Driver which is still on 511.17.

Desktop

https://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/185108/en-us

Notebook/Laptop

https://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/185109/en-us

I bought a new MSI gaming computer with NVIDIA 3080 Ti w/ 12 GB VRAM. 

It came with Windows 10.  CA worked very well.

Being curious, I had to install Windows 11.  I received the same error and crash as you guys.

I tried 511.23 Gaming Driver and 511.09 Studio Driver, both Crashed.

I rolled back to Windows 10.  So far everything is good.

• Upvote 1