User library update question...

PMMully

I have been using a warehouse plan for construction details. When I complete a diagram, I block it, send it to the user library. But it appears that updates via "edit cad block" in the warehouse plan are not being pushed to the user library automagically. I see you can edit the block in the user library as well. 

I have looked in the help but I do not see any guidance on the best process to use over time. I have just reexported a block, and that works, but it creates "version clutter" in the library. I was hoping to see the "live update" go between the plan and the library. Am I missing something here?

15 minutes ago, rlackore said:

In Chief, each individual Symbol is a copy, not an instance - IOW any modifications you make to a copy doesn't affect the other copies.

So yes if you want it to change in your library use the edit cad block in your library.

So when you edit the block, and it says "this or all instances", that apparently is only to that plan then. Since a lot of this stuff is looked at by PEs, I have to keep the change management tight. So it sounds like the right process to manage this (probably up to100 details over time) might look like this:

1. Do the initial work in the warehouse plan (you have to do the work somewhere).
  2. Commit the work to the library
  3. Destroy the initial work in the library as it is no longer really needed (as long as you backup your library)
  4. Do all future cad block edits from the library itself.

When you edit from the library, where will the actual work be done, if you have no plan open, will it open the original plan file? Or is it a scratch plan, etc.? Thinking about plan templates in this regard.