different fdn types on same home

winterdd

One thing I have found that is always a challenge are homes with different foundations. Take for instance a home on stem walls but the detached garage is on a mono slab. When you build the Fdn for main home and hit stem wall, it builds everything to stem wall including the garage. You hit mono for the garage the whole home is then mono. What is the workaround on this? I have always built the stem walls and then delete the Fdn for the garage and then draw in the mono slab manually. Obviously there has to be a better way chief intended?

Build foundation will follow the default settings including the defaults for the garage room type. You should be able to specify a monolithic foundation for the garage in the garage room dbx and the foundation should build accordingly. It does for me.

I often use 2 different foundation types quite often but for attached garages. I never build a detached garage in the same plan file as the house.

Just an additional point and not required, some will disagree but I almost exclusively use 2 plan files when working with detached structures.  Even when it is a simple detached garage I will have a 2nd plan file and use a symbol of the garage for renderings and a polyline copied over for site plans.  For me I see two benefits, 1 it allows you to use that garage plan for other jobs in the future (sometimes you can adapt one you have previously done in mere minutes and send to a layout and substantially increase your profit for the new job.).  2nd Benefit is easier to use defaults/keep the garage model closer to the xy origin.

Good point guys, i am still having issues even when the garage dbx is set to mono. Atleast I now know I am not missing any certain ways to do this. Garages are square most of the time so drawing a manual slab is easy and probably what I will keep doing. Just wish the brick ledges came in when drawing them manually.

1 hour ago, ChiefUserBigRob said:

Good point guys, i am still having issues even when the garage dbx is set to mono. Atleast I now know I am not missing any certain ways to do this. Garages are square most of the time so drawing a manual slab is easy and probably what I will keep doing. Just wish the brick ledges came in when drawing them manually.

Can you upload a plan file and one of us may be able to take a look?