Importing and Exporting 3D models with other programs?

sthieldesign

I often collaborate with Architects and Landscape Architects and we all seem to use different programs. Some Sketchup, Revit or 3DS.  Is it possible to import their models and collaborate. Can I export my model so they can add landscaping etc? I see several Export 3D models but can't find any training videos on how to share models with other professionals.

Anyone have experience collaborating with different 3D modeling software?

4 minutes ago, sthieldesign said:

Thank you! Do you also import other 3D files? 

Revit can be a challenge for someone inexperienced in export. DWG works, sometimes I use sketchup to import from revit than re-export for chief. The import/export functions of chief are pretty straightforward. I would not import a 3d model from revit, I would budget for redesigning the model from revit in Chief and conforming the changes as you go.
Often times I will use sketchup as a landing point when working with architects. Revit doesnt play nice for collaborative work the same way that Chief does not. They are BIM/BIM based so true collaboration isn't possible without either party simply working in the software of choice.
Bigger question is what specifically do you need to provide for such clients?

I typically recreate an entire model in Chief from PDFs. But often the Architect has Revit or Sketchup models. Seems like a waste of time for me to recreate a model.  I would love to import their model and then work on the Interiors instead of recreating from scratch.

I also have a Landscape Architect that would love to do a flyover of his exterior and then bring my interiors in for a full home flythrough.  Would love to be able to merge the two without doubling the work.