spiral staircase with solid rail wall

stevenyhof

Not too hard to do with normal curved stairs and curved walls - not stair railings.

Select the walls and drag the corner up and down, break the walls, etc, to get them to follow the stairs.

The biggest problem with this method is that it is hard to align the bottom of the sloping walls with the lining on the underside of the stairs.

But maybe you aren't showing a view from underneath. 

Screen Shot 2021-11-24 at 12.16.38 pm.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, glennw said:

Not too hard to do with normal curved stairs and curved walls - not stair railings.

Select the walls and drag the corner up and down, break the walls, etc, to get them to follow the stairs.

The biggest problem with this method is that it is hard to align the bottom of the sloping walls with the lining on the underside of the stairs.

But maybe you aren't showing a view from underneath. 

Screen Shot 2021-11-24 at 12.16.38 pm.jpg

9 hours ago, yusuf-333 said:

you can also do it using the stringers. here attached the sample plan containing it.

s s 1.jpg

s s 2.jpg

s s 3.jpg

Spir Stair solid rail.plan 2.2 MB · 1 download

Thank you gentlemen! I just sat down to give this a try.

What I don't like about this method is the faceting of the rail and no curving of the tread sides.

Using a normal wall, you can use the Winders setting which gives you a smooth curve for the rail and rounded sides for the treads.  

Screen Shot 2021-11-25 at 8.51.59 am.jpg

With Winders checked:

1588882709_ScreenShot2021-11-25at9_00_15am.thumb.jpg.d8ff7d9e84f26b40eba3a4bfa009f22e.jpg

With Winders unchecked:

1411823486_ScreenShot2021-11-25at9_01_07am.thumb.jpg.1f80b2378dbf028dc25dc2440363ee12.jpg

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, glennw said:

What I don't like about this method is the faceting of the rail and no curving of the tread sides.

Using a normal wall, you can use the Winders setting which gives you a smooth curve for the rail and rounded sides for the treads.  

Screen Shot 2021-11-25 at 8.51.59 am.jpg

With Winders checked:

1588882709_ScreenShot2021-11-25at9_00_15am.thumb.jpg.d8ff7d9e84f26b40eba3a4bfa009f22e.jpg

With Winders unchecked:

1411823486_ScreenShot2021-11-25at9_01_07am.thumb.jpg.1f80b2378dbf028dc25dc2440363ee12.jpg

Very nice! So this is done with walls?! Would you please share your file?

The problem with using stringers is that they can't be curved, which is causing the faceting of the rail and the straight tread sides.

Here is my rough file - I deleted my original file and this is a quickie replacement.

I edited the tops and bottoms of the walls in 3D views which can get a bit complicated to select the correct grips.

Edit: I think you need to create a room by enclosing the circular wall around the stairs.

Winders will only work in an enclosed room.

Ah, and I also turned off wall caps as they don't like the curved walls. 

spiral 1.plan

18 minutes ago, glennw said:

The problem with using stringers is that they can't be curved, which is causing the faceting of the rail and the straight tread sides.

Here is my rough file - I deleted my original file and this is a quickie replacement.

I edited the tops and bottoms of the walls in 3D views which can get a bit complicated to select the correct grips.

Edit: I think you need to create a room by enclosing the circular wall around the stairs.

Winders will only work in an enclosed room.

Ah, and I also turned off wall caps as they don't like the curved walls. 

spiral 1.plan 2.2 MB · 0 downloads

Yes, the other issue with stringers is that they cannot be sized to width.

10 minutes ago, stevenyhof said:

Yes, the other issue with stringers is that they cannot be sized to width.

There is a Thickness setting for custom stringers.

These are thick stringers.

You can't use railings while doing the wall editing because you cannot slope the tops and bottoms of railings.

Screen Shot 2021-11-25 at 9.48.24 am.jpg

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, glennw said:

There is a Thickness setting for custom stringers.

These are thick stringers.

You can't use railings while doing the wall editing because you cannot slope the tops and bottoms of railings.

Screen Shot 2021-11-25 at 9.48.24 am.jpg

Well, either way, I like the walls and appreciate the help!!

Something very strange happening.

If I draw the stairs counterclockwise, things aren't too bad and the ends of the treads are curved.

BUT, if I draw the stairs clockwise, the inner face of the wall becomes segmented.

Looks like a bug to me.

Screen Shot 2021-11-25 at 3.59.25 pm.jpg

8 hours ago, glennw said:

Something very strange happening.

If I draw the stairs counterclockwise, things aren't too bad and the ends of the treads are curved.

BUT, if I draw the stairs clockwise, the inner face of the wall becomes segmented.

Looks like a bug to me.

Screen Shot 2021-11-25 at 3.59.25 pm.jpg

Ah! Thank you for looking into this. You know, they do offer left and right curved stairs. Maybe you are not meant to mirror a stairs if you decide to go the other direction. Not saying that is what I did, but now I want to check. Thank you for looking into this. I will report a bug if I confirm what you are saying. 

Hey

Here is a video showing a solid railing that follows stair. Just a railing., no need for stingers nor wall adjystment. I need some one to win this challenge before I post a "railing library objext" that you can just drag from your user library and a draw as usual. As you can see in the video the bottom height and top height can be edited in a dialog box. As you can see it can be attached to the side of the stair too. Glenn will figure out easily I am sure.

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, yusuf-333 said:

Hey

Here is a video showing a solid railing that follows stair. Just a railing., no need for stingers nor wall adjystment. I need some one to win this challenge before I post a "railing library objext" that you can just drag from your user library and a draw as usual. As you can see in the video the bottom height and top height can be edited in a dialog box. As you can see it can be attached to the side of the stair too. Glenn will figure out easily I am sure.

Thank you! It cuts into the ceiling correctly, but still not following how you control the bottom to follow the stairs. Still trying.

image.thumb.png.232f79ff78138454451d930c8b4aa0c6.pngimage.thumb.png.470bd6c4ddc70c15851bd8e6f4741394.png

This is the other way where you manipulate the walls, but cuts the ceiling...

image.thumb.png.860ffa5ec9728a9e25dbb42ee68a8590.png