REVSION SCHEDULE

mkennedy2000

I havent thought this through, at all, but....

I think I might like the ide of a revision schedule. I could create a note type that would have its symbol driven by that schedule.

I'll look into custom schedules as a starting point - can I create and save multiple custom schedules in my pfrofie plans?

Will this be a better tool than the layout revision tool? 

Any thoughts, directions, comments or experience would be welcome.....

Just now, mkennedy2000 said:

What's the benefit of the schedule being in a detail rather than plan?

It keeps your plan view clear which can be helpful or sometimes not so much if you are verifying the content of the schedule unless you do a split screen.

Also it can help with performance.

Possibly other things that will be added if I missed anything. ;)

I go back and forth with stuff in plan, stuff in detail on plan, stuff in detail in layout. Ive never really settled on one being much better than another. I mostly do small plans, so dont really have hardware issues too often.

Seems to me back in x11 or 12 they started to allow me to drag chief across multiple monitors, I do from time to time split my monitor, but I'd really rather drag windows onto a neighboring screen, just cuz thats my workflow in windows, a 37in monitor in the middle with a 32in panel on either side

37 minutes ago, mkennedy2000 said:

I go back and forth with stuff in plan, stuff in detail on plan, stuff in detail in layout. Ive never really settled on one being much better than another. I mostly do small plans, so dont really have hardware issues too often.

Seems to me back in x11 or 12 they started to allow me to drag chief across multiple monitors, I do from time to time split my monitor, but I'd really rather drag windows onto a neighboring screen, just cuz thats my workflow in windows, a 37in monitor in the middle with a 32in panel on either side

Hey old timer, 
It's really easy to organize and use the SAM method when holding a bunch of schedules in CAD. Not to mention you can have those schedules sent to layout already, which is also easier to do when they are in a placeholder position such as a CAD detail. For your revisions, easy to put together a custom revision note and a schedule. Give me a call and I can send my template your way, you might love it or may hate it.

12 hours ago, mkennedy2000 said:

What's the benefit of the schedule being in a detail rather than plan?

Other than the benefits already mentioned , it helps to keep CA from Lagging as Schedules get larger especially

as every time you zoom in or out as 1 example CA has to rebuild (draw) all that Data again and again and you will

likely see slow downs eg an X over the schedule as it redraws as you zoom.

I have mine setup in my Template as others mentioned too...

Capture.thumb.JPG.956f95d39f4276d1bcd4b1549774d50e.JPG

11 hours ago, Renerabbitt said:

Hey old timer, 
It's really easy to organize and use the SAM method when holding a bunch of schedules in CAD. Not to mention you can have those schedules sent to layout already, which is also easier to do when they are in a placeholder position such as a CAD detail. For your revisions, easy to put together a custom revision note and a schedule. Give me a call and I can send my template your way, you might love it or may hate it.

I've been meaning to call anyway....lets catch up. 

2 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

Other than the benefits already mentioned , it helps to keep CA from Lagging as Schedules get larger especially

as every time you zoom in or out as 1 example CA has to rebuild (draw) all that Data again and again and you will

like see slow downs eg an X over the schedule as it redraws etc.

I have mine setup in my Template as others mentioned too...

Capture.thumb.JPG.956f95d39f4276d1bcd4b1549774d50e.JPG

That looks pretty nice, seems like a great starting point. Thanks.

3 hours ago, mkennedy2000 said:

And it seems to me if SAM is gaining\has gained ascendancy, we should be able to save multiple profiles, then when starting a ne plan you could manually select the profile, save a step and avoid accidentally failing to save as before editing...

Not quite sure I'd call this the Sam Method but you can definitely have multiple different Templates for different types of Work or Styles , then you just use "New From Template> (pick template)  instead of using the New Plan Icon which could still be used for you usual Template of course.

* Like Joe I also like(d) the new(ish) ability to make older plans into Templates , though with X13 I am not 100% sure it is a good idea anymore except from X13 plans, as some Defaults seem to get messed up in X13 using a X12 Plan or older as the new Template ..... for eg. I was finding strange things happing with dimensioning which got a big overhaul in X13

M.

Thanks for the direction Joe - I hadn't noticed the new from template tool, just what I described.

I'm not sure why I couldn't develop a template with all the same information I'd use an SAM base plan?

Kbird, the new(ish) button may just motivate me to build some templates, I've been threatening to adopt SAM for years...and years...

You make an excellent point re: building fresh templates, which I'd be doping, but boy, it would be annoying to have 50 or 100 hours into templates and them all go wonky after an update.

Remember back around v5 or v6? The symbols completely changed and old plans were unopenable in the updated version.